Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1101 - 1117 of 1117 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
116 Posts
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Symmetry

Wanted to share this A45S dyno chart belonging to a friend of mine who got his car tuned remotely by Mega 3 Performance on a stage 2 map last night.

The hardware mods are decat downpipe and resonator delete, and a CPC swap. His car made a peak torque of over 640 Nm at the wheels, which we could safely assume it should be making over 700Nm at the crank.

He actually made more torque than my car despite he's on stock intake and stock catback while I have an aftermarket intake and full exhaust. But again, the Armaspeed and Akrapovic catback wasn't giving me any gains when measured on the dyno previously. I hope for those of you who has installed the Eventuri intake will have better results.

And yes, both my car and his car do experience wheel spin when we're accelerating out of the corner on the low gears.

·
Registered
113 Posts
@changchewsoon
The dynograph looks like what ED was talking about - something is cutting torque after 4500rpms. Unless this was a deliberate tuning strategy?

RS3 pricing has been announcef in Aus, 10k less than the A45s. Comes pretty well specced with RS sports exhaust, adaptive dampers, all the interior gadgets etc.

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
116 Posts
@changchewsoon
The dynograph looks like what ED was talking about - something is cutting torque after 4500rpms. Unless this was a deliberate tuning strategy?
I would tend to think that is due to the turbo running out of puff towards the red line instead rather than any torque intervention. The CPC doesn't intervene at all when the car is set in dyno mode from what I understand.

I do know some tuners would increase boost past a specific RPM range to try to hold the torque/flatten it but then if the turbo is already maxed out then pushing it beyond its limit would be bad for it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sorry I've been out of action lately due to work, and wow at least a few pages of this thread I needed to read to catch up on what was missing!

@Turbo Ed glad to see that you finally gotten your car back and it seems like you've already done quite a bit of work on it! I've seen a couple of GR Yaris in my country and they're really fast too! Yes I have a 500 whp Yaris myself and it still gives me over 400 KM of mileage on a full tank.
@changchewsoon, the Yaris, FWD? I assume you had it built prior to the release of the GR?
Would you consider replacing your existing vehicle with a modified version of the AWD?

Re my vehicle, not as much progress as I would like.
Turns out, somewhere in my travails, some mechanic did not bleed my Intercooler circuit correctly leading to overheating of the pump and its eventual failure.
Wouldn't you think the failure of such an important component would lead to at least a check engine light coming on?
However, apparently not.

The problem was picked up by the workshop with the Maha MSR500, when my vehicle did not make the power numbers they are used to seeing on our model
Luckily I had a spare pump already purchased by me as part of my investigation of the intercooler system on our cars.
I say luckily as there is currently a worldwide shortage of the pumps and they are on eight week delivery.

Just to finish, my vehicle standard made within 1 HP of the numbers recorded by @nn7man with his vehicle standard at Litchfield's.

Probably because Melbourne is having an unusually cool / wet Spring, IE read normal UK weather !! :)

In any event, it goes into the workshop this morning to have all the necessary components removed for the data logging Sensor installation.
Getting there slowly, this car is fighting me every inch of the way.

If the RS3's were actually available, as opposed to a suggested start of delivery mid 2022, I think I would pack it in on the A45S.
However, persisting for the time being.

·
Registered
304 Posts
@changchewsoon
The dyno graph looks like what ED was talking about - something is cutting torque after 4500rpms. Unless this was a deliberate tuning strategy?

RS3 pricing has been announced in Australia, 10k less than the A45s. Comes pretty well spec'ed with RS sports exhaust, adaptive dampers, all the interior gadgets etc.
The torque drop off over 4,500 RPM?
No that is not the CPC cut, which is abrupt, not gradual.
Go back and look at he Dutch guy's issue and you will see the CPC effect at 2,750 RPM on his dyno curve.
Just kick's the car in the head.

The gradual drop off on both @changchewsoon's curve and his friend's is from the same cause.

The turbo compressor is all done.
No more Mass Flow, even overheated air due to overspeed.
EVERY pump has a maximum capacity and you are simply observing ours.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would tend to think that is due to the turbo running out of puff towards the red line instead rather than any torque intervention. The CPC doesn't intervene at all when the car is set in dyno mode from what I understand.

I do know some tuners would increase boost past a specific RPM range to try to hold the torque/flatten it but then if the turbo is already maxed out then pushing it beyond its limit would be bad for it.
I believe the CPC torque limit will kick in, even in Dyno mode, although it may depend upon the type of Dyno and the testing being employed.
I believe that is what caused the radical dip in the torque curve of the Dutch guy's tune.
He went back to his Tuner who got rid of the problem by effectively "de-tuning" it.

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
116 Posts
I believe the CPC torque limit will kick in, even in Dyno mode, although it may depend upon the type of Dyno and the testing being employed.
I believe that is what caused the radical dip in the torque curve of the Dutch guy's tune.
He went back to his Tuner who got rid of the problem by effectively "de-tuning" it.
If you correctly configure the car to go into dynamometer mode from your dash by pressing the OK and Home button on your steering wheel procedure, the CPC will leave you alone until you get out from the mode.

If you have Xentry you could also access the CPC for logging as well to see the parameters in it with your own eyes to determine whether is it really interfering.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you correctly configure the car to go into dynamometer mode from your dash by pressing the OK and Home button on your steering wheel procedure, the CPC will leave you alone until you get out from the mode.

If you have Xentry you could also access the CPC for logging as well to see the parameters in it with your own eyes to determine whether is it really interfering.
Interesting.
I am sure you know about what you are talking; however it is counterintuitive.
IE the CPC allows the vehicle to exceed the torque limit in a full load application such as the dyno and yet not on the road which is usually a far lower load on the driveline.

In any event, no further comment from me until mine is on the dyno and exceeding the CPC's limits!! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
@changchewsoon, the Yaris, FWD? I assume you had it built prior to the release of the GR? Would you consider replacing your existing vehicle with a modified version of the AWD?
This cannot be a serious question. Who wouldn't switch to the AWD version if money is no object.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Clearly the idea was to offer the enthusiasts an out of the box tuned car, hence the very limited headroom and the overprotective systems, which I've never seen before. They were like we know you're gonna go down the tuning route, let us do it for you, the professional way. But we'll keep an eye on you 24/7 because you won't be tuning this car. That said, it may be true that no car maker designs a car based on the assumption that the owner is going to tune it, but still they often provide plenty of headroom such as in the case of MK6 and MK7 Golf R and their siblings, although the crown belongs to my Edition 30 GTI, 230hp stock (dynoed 240hp), and compressor map running all the way to 370hp. Now that's headroom! Going into overspeed (adding an aftermarket wg) we could make up to 420hp on w/m and 390hp without it (but strictly on 100 RON fuel). And that's on stock turbo. And you didn't have the computer up your ass either. You could argue back in 2007 the electronics weren't as sophisticated, but still, we weren't lacking safety systems; I've had the car go into limp mode a couple of times. So what I think AMG was thinking is let us build it for you, but they wouldn't go the extra mile without a million sensors around the car. Slap that CPC in as well and enjoy your tuned car.
@Theo
My sample Piston and Rod arrived!!
Piston absolutely superb, a beautifully forged and shot blast Mahle piston, from AMG specific tooling, as close to unbreakable as such a component can be.
It would take totally incompetent Tuning to break this component I
It is a jewel!!
if you want more detailed images, I shall try to take some from other angles.
Just ask.

The Rod?
Well I am sure adequate standard spec. or simply tuned with the standard turbo.
My sample will be going to Arrow shortly, which shows what I think of it.

It is interesting, the Piston is literally three times the cost of the Rod and that is about exactly how I would describe their relative strength.
Well, not literally; however, you get what I mean, that Piston deserves an equivalent Rod.

Household hardware Metal Tool Watch Wood

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Looks good. Don't trash the toy this time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks good. Don't trash the toy this time.
LOL!! :)

No trashing for a while!!

The car is currently coming apart for all the data logging sensors to be installed.
Hopefully I can have it back together prior to Christmas .
At which point in time, Australia closes for the long summer holidays for up to a month. (Like France in August)

So it will not be going to the custom loom makers until late in January.
All of which is running a month later than originally planned due to the gearbox issue.

I had originally hoped to have hard data to share prior to Christmas, however it now looks like February.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
What sort of running in period will you do.

·
Registered
304 Posts
What sort of running in period will you do.
Do you mean after I install the Arrow's?
(and Hybrid turbo, et al?)

Mate, that is months away!!

I expect to operate all of February / March, in standard spec, collecting real world data.
Based on that data, I may or may not build the following items:-

1) A seriously modified version of the Eventuri intake. ( As sold, useless in Australia)
2) Radically revised Intercooler system, including a completely new Intercooler (currently being made)
2) A new HJS equipped Cat downpipe. (Nothing currently on the market is any belter than stock, in my opinion)
3) A new rear Muffler, ( "Box" in UK parlance) of my own design.
4) Serious mods to the fuel system, which will probably include an additional pump, as I think that will be the most straightforward approach
5) Obviously the Hybrid turbo. (Which I have almost finished, incidentally)

I wish to install most of the above individually so that I can report upon each component's affect, so it will obviously take the better part of next year.

I shall probably have the Arrow's installed fairly early in the above process, simply to eliminate the potential weak link and allow for any possible minor (hopefully) Tuning errors..

So, perhaps April or May for the Arrows?
I shall probably install new rings, which will then force at least a 5,000 KM run in, so I need to do it at such a time as to not overly disrupt the above work.

My Cylinder Head and Inlet Manifold (combined, almost 10% of the purchase price of the vehicle), should be delivered this Friday, so then we shall REALLY see this engine's potential.
With any luck they will be on the Flow Bench before Christmas.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Do you mean after I install the Arrow's?
(and Hybrid turbo, et al?)

Mate, that is months away!!

I expect to operate all of February / March, in standard spec, collecting real world data.
Based on that data, I may or may not build the following items:-

1) A seriously modified version of the Eventuri intake. ( As sold, useless in Australia)
2) Radically revised Intercooler system, including a completely new Intercooler (currently being made)
2) A new HJS equipped Cat downpipe. (Nothing currently on the market is any belter than stock, in my opinion)
3) A new rear Muffler, ( "Box" in UK parlance) of my own design.
4) Serious mods to the fuel system, which will probably include an additional pump, as I think that will be the most straightforward approach
5) Obviously the Hybrid turbo. (Which I have almost finished, incidentally)

I wish to install most of the above individually so that I can report upon each component's affect, so it will obviously take the better part of next year.

I shall probably have the Arrow's installed fairly early in the above process, simply to eliminate the potential weak link and allow for any possible minor (hopefully) Tuning errors..

So, perhaps April or May for the Arrows?
I shall probably install new rings, which will then force at least a 5,000 KM run in, so I need to do it at such a time as to not overly disrupt the above work.

My Cylinder Head and Inlet Manifold (combined, almost 10% of the purchase price of the vehicle), should be delivered this Friday, so then we shall REALLY see this engine's potential.
With any luck they will be on the Flow Bench before Christmas.
@Forrester
My mistake, talking to my engine builder, with our bore surface, ring combo, 1000 KMs should be a sufficient run in period,

·
Registered
424 Posts
@Theo
My sample Piston and Rod arrived!!
Piston absolutely superb, a beautifully forged and shot blast Mahle piston, from AMG specific tooling, as close to unbreakable as such a component can be.
It would take totally incompetent Tuning to break this component I
It is a jewel!!
if you want more detailed images, I shall try to take some from other angles.
Just ask.

The Rod?
Well I am sure adequate standard spec. or simply tuned with the standard turbo.
My sample will be going to Arrow shortly, which shows what I think of it.

It is interesting, the Piston is literally three times the cost of the Rod and that is about exactly how I would describe their relative strength.
Well, not literally; however, you get what I mean, that Piston deserves an equivalent Rod.

View attachment 9062
Nice, would be interesting to see a pic of our stock rods vs these new ones. If you could put them side by side.
Also, you said these are Mahle pistons. How about the rods? And who makes our stock ones (pistons + rods).

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nice, would be interesting to see a pic of our stock rods vs these new ones. If you could put them side by side.
Also, you said these are Mahle pistons. How about the rods? And who makes our stock ones (pistons + rods).
@Theo
These are BOTH standard components.
Excellent standard piston forged by Mahle.
Average connecting rod, made by I know not whom.

You will have seen me talking about Arrows.
All the English guys here will know who I am talking about; however, I should explain it for others outside the UK.
Arrow Precision Engineering is the second best connecting rod manufacturer in the world and located in England's manufacturing heartland.
I shall send them the standard rod you see in the image and 8 to 10 weeks later they will send me back four pieces of jewellery, of the same quality / strength as the magnificent Mahle piston.

Apologies for not making it clearer in the first place,
If you want any detailed images just ask.

I also have the exhaust manifold, Intercooler, heat recovery radiator, the infamous A/C to Intercooler fluid heat exchanger, inlet/ exhaust valves, obviously most of the fuel system, (what a disappointment), along with other bits and pieces.
I am told I should have the cylinder head and inlet manifold on Friday.
The Intercooler pumps have become available again, (who knows where the eight weeks delivery came from) so will have new one of those in a couple of weeks
I can then set up our complete intercooler circuit and bench run it for temp. / pressure drops, as well as data log the same setup in the car.
Then as I record a parameter I don't like in the car, I can change a component in the bench test system to see if it helps.

Quite separately to the above, all the parts are off the car now for data logging sensor install and will be at the fabricators on Friday.

Basically I have just about sufficient parts to have the car running standard in order to obtain all the baseline data (32 sensors!! :)), while at the same organising high performance development for component installation next year.

Does all that make sense?
If not just ask,

1101 - 1117 of 1117 Posts