Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1121 - 1140 of 1156 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hi sorry to join the discussion like this, I have had a brief read through of some of the discussions on this thread (limited time and a lot to go through)

figured asking the question was probably going to be a better option.
i live in Australia and have a somewhat standard A45S with the exception of the Armaspeed intake and a custom titanium dump back 3.5” exhaust system.

I was entertaining the idea of a tune for the car, my questions are.
Has anyone ever had warranty issues after such tunes have been done, IE have MB bothered to check if a tune was on the vehicle before replacing failed hardware?

If that isn’t a problem what is the best option for us here in Australia in terms of company and “stage” I am not looking to upgrade hardware such as turbo in this process just looking to safely maximise the stock components, so not looking for something that is going to be on the edge of what the factory parts can handle.

Thanks
@OZ45S
Where about in Australia do you live?

MB Australia will DEFINITELY check whether or not your car has been tuned, prior to processing a driveline warranty claim.
IE Engine to tires and everything in between.
(They have reasonably sophisticated equipment with which to do this, which can even look at historical data)

If you go back far enough in the thread to read about my gearbox issues, you will see for yourself.

In Australia, not even Brabus tuning product would be covered, IF it still existed for our vehicle, which it doesn't.
(They pulled their very conservative product off the market and I suspect for good reasons, at least in Germany)

In Australia, there is NO method of modifying your vehicle, in any way from standard, without losing driveline warranty.
In fact, what you gave already done, IE Air Intake and Exhaust system would result in denial of driveline warranty.

If you ever have your vehicle go back to the Dealership, even just for service, I would make sure it went back in, totally standard.
Otherwise, they will record your existing mods, with a view to possible denial of warranty in the future.
Even as it is, I would be getting your vehicle serviced by a quality Independent workshop.
( Which is why I asked where you were, as I might be able to make some recommendations)

IF, after all of the above, you still have any interest in modifying your vehicle, post again and I shall give you some suggestions,

·
Registered
4 Posts
@OZ45S
Where about in Australia do you live?

MB Australia will DEFINITELY check whether or not your car has been tuned, prior to processing a driveline warranty claim.
IE Engine to tires and everything in between.
(They have reasonably sophisticated equipment with which to do this, which can even look at historical data)

If you go back far enough in the thread to read about my gearbox issues, you will see for yourself.

In Australia, not even Brabus tuning product would be covered, IF it still existed for our vehicle, which it doesn't.
(They pulled their very conservative product off the market and I suspect for good reasons, at least in Germany)

In Australia, there is NO method of modifying your vehicle, in any way from standard, without losing driveline warranty.
In fact, what you gave already done, IE Air Intake and Exhaust system would result in denial of driveline warranty.

If you ever have your vehicle go back to the Dealership, even just for service, I would make sure it went back in, totally standard.
Otherwise, they will record your existing mods, with a view to possible denial of warranty in the future.
Even as it is, I would be getting your vehicle serviced by a quality Independent workshop.
( Which is why I asked where you were, as I might be able to make some recommendations)

IF, after all of the above, you still have any interest in modifying your vehicle, post again and I shall give you some suggestions,

Thanks for your detailed response to my questions, this is exactly what I thought would be the case, prior to doing both mods just after purchasing the car I spoke with the dealer about just that as I had always planned to fit a intake and build an exhaust for it, they told me that it was fine to do as long as I did not do the dump pipe also, this was told to me by the head AMG technical spokesman at the dealer with others as a witness had.
I have faster cars than this but I was more just curious if tuning it was a possibility without loosing the warranty of it given I feel this car would be a very fun package with some more power.
I definitely am interested but do not want to loose the powertrain warranty.
I am located in Adelaide S.A
Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks for your detailed response to my questions, this is exactly what I thought would be the case, prior to doing both mods just after purchasing the car I spoke with the dealer about just that as I had always planned to fit a intake and build an exhaust for it, they told me that it was fine to do as long as I did not do the dump pipe also, this was told to me by the head AMG technical spokesman at the dealer with others as a witness had.
I have faster cars than this but I was more just curious if tuning it was a possibility without loosing the warranty of it given I feel this car would be a very fun package with some more power.
I definitely am interested but do not want to loose the powertrain warranty.
Thanks
@OZ45S
PLEASE do not ever believe what you are told by a Dealership, (ANY Brand) in Australia.
They will tell you whatever they think you want to hear.
You just need to hope they haven't noted your existing Mods on your vehicle file.
The warranty is provided and adjudicated upon, by Daimler Germany, through their subsidiary MB Australia.
NOTHING to do with the Dealership.
Just try to get a letter or email out of MB Australia, stating what the Dealership apparently told you.
Good Luck with that !! :)
There is no corporate connection between a Dealership and MB Australia, unless it is one of the very few MB Australia owned Dealerships.
EG MB Australia used to own MB Melbourne City, although they have now sold that, so I don't believe they own any Dealerships today in Melbourne.

Tune your car, in any manner, Tuning Box or Reprogramming, then have a a powertrain problem and the chances of you hiding that from MB Australia are remote, at best.

Still want to Tune your car?? !! :)
If so, tell me in which city / town you are located,

·
Registered
4 Posts
@OZ45S
PLEASE do not ever believe what you are told by a Dealership, (ANY Brand) in Australia.
You just need to hope they haven't noted your existing Mods on your vehicle file.
The warranty is provided and adjudicated upon, by Daimler Germany, through their subsidiary MB Australia.
Just try to get a letter or email out of MB Australia, stating what the Dealership apparently told you.
There is no corporate connection between a Dealership and MB Australia, unless it is one of the very few MB Australia owned Dealerships.
EG MB Australia used to own MB Melbourne City, although they have now sold that, so I don't believe they own any Dealerships today in Melbourne.

Tune your car, in any manner, Tuning Box or Reprogramming, then have a a powertrain problem
@OZ45S

Tune your car, in any manner, Tuning Box or Reprogramming, then have a a powertrain problem and the chances of you hiding that from MB Australia are remote, at best.

and the chances of you hiding that from MB Australia are remote, at best.

I had a feeling of this from the get go but it was always my intention buying this car to build a custom exhaust system for it and fit a intake, all of which can easily be reverted back to standard if needed.
I am certainly interested in the idea of a tune, are the tune boxes less easily detectable or still just as easy for them to see.
I am located in South Australia.
Whilst on the subject here is some pictures of the 3.5” titanium exhaust I made for my car.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Bumper

Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had a feeling of this from the get go but it was always my intention buying this car to build a custom exhaust system for it and fit a intake, all of which can easily be reverted back to standard if needed.
I am certainly interested in the idea of a tune, are the tune boxes less easily detectable or still just as easy for them to see.
Whilst on the subject here is some pictures of the 3.5” titanium exhaust I made for my car.
View attachment 9176
View attachment 9177
View attachment 9175
Thanks
Interesting exhaust!!
That titanium does an excellent job of showing where any flow restrictions occur, doesn't it?

How do you go for under floor rattles, around where the 3.5" exhaust system passes between the floor and the braces?

In any event, to answer you questions.
1) Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in Adelaide with the correct software to custom tune your vehicle.
There could be someone, of course.
When you are phoning around dynos to check, you need to ask if they have bFlash software, out of Luxembourg in Europe, for our generation A45S.
Of course, it then comes down to the quality of the human involved, and that is always an unknown, unless they can provide a reference to someone else who was a Guinea Pig for that workshop tuning of our vehicle.
if you would like to spend a few days in Melbourne, I can provide an excellent reference; however it would seem they need your vehicle for three days and not surprisingly, given the time, costs $3.5K.

2) Then, to answer your question regarding if MB can see if a Tuning Box has been fitted, once you remove it, that is still an open ended question.
I believe they can, however am not certain.
All the tuning boxes lift the standard boost figure, by fooling the ECU with the input signals from various sensors.
(You should also be aware that installing any of the tuning boxes requires access to one sensor which can ONLY be reached from underneath the vehicle, after removing the undertray. This requires the vehicle on a hoist)
The vehicle's ECU does record "out of specification" parameters.
The question being, can this function see through the Tuning Box's "tricks".
There is only one person who could answer that question here and that is @nn7man who has been running the best value for money Tuning Box for our vehicles for sometime.
He would need to take it to a workshop, not necessarily a Dealership, equipped with the correct scan tools, who could look into his ECU files and see what, if anything has been recorded.

See if you can convince him to do this !! :)

I might add, with our vehicles in particular, there is potentially another issue in our country generally and in your city in particular.
For better or worse, you live in Australia's hottest average ambient temperature state capital.
Fit a European calibration Tuning Box in your city and I would be extremely careful as to how and when you used WOT.

Lets put it this way, I would not be taking the vehicle out to the Bend, any time between the end of September and the beginning of May!! :)

I wouldn't even street race it in ambient over 30C !! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting exhaust!!
That titanium does an excellent job of showing where any flow restrictions occur, doesn't it?

How do you go for under floor rattles, around where the 3.5" exhaust system passes between the floor and the braces?

In any event, to answer you questions.
1) Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in Adelaide with the correct software to custom tune your vehicle.
There could be someone, of course.
When you are phoning around dynos to check, you need to ask if they have bFlash software, out of Luxembourg in Europe, for our generation A45S.
Of course, it then comes down to the quality of the human involved, and that is always an unknown, unless they can provide a reference to someone else who was a Guinea Pig for that workshop tuning of our vehicle.
if you would like to spend a few days in Melbourne, I can provide an excellent reference; however it would seem they need your vehicle for three days and not surprisingly, given the time, costs $3.5K.

2) Then, to answer your question regarding if MB can see if a Tuning Box has been fitted, once you remove it, that is still an open ended question.
I believe they can, however am not certain.
All the tuning boxes lift the standard boost figure, by fooling the ECU with the input signals from various sensors.
(You should also be aware that installing any of the tuning boxes requires access to one sensor which can ONLY be reached from underneath the vehicle, after removing the undertray. This requires the vehicle on a hoist)
The vehicle's ECU does record "out of specification" parameters.
The question being, can this function see through the Tuning Box's "tricks".
There is only one person who could answer that question here and that is @nn7man who has been running the best value for money Tuning Box for our vehicles for sometime.
He would need to take it to a workshop, not necessarily a Dealership, equipped with the correct scan tools, who could look into his ECU files and see what, if anything has been recorded.

See if you can convince him to do this !! :)

I might add, with our vehicles in particular, there is potentially another issue in our country generally and in your city in particular.
For better or worse, you live in Australia's hottest average ambient temperature state capital.
Fit a European calibration Tuning Box in your city and I would be extremely careful as to how and when you used WOT.

Lets put it this way, I would not be taking the vehicle out to the Bend, any time between the end of September and the beginning of May!! :)

I wouldn't even street race it in ambient over 30C !! :)
Yes it certainly does show that well, this particular car pushes out much hotter exhaust gas vs many other cars I have built exhausts for, that rear transition not looking like an ideal flow merge is done on purpose to achieve the sound desired from this exhaust, I made several iterations of the rear section to achieve a design that allows for a nice fairly loud volume with the valve open but gives it the ability to be quiet with it shut (to the point where at highway cruising the tyres are louder)
In regards to fitment there is no rattles at all, I spent a lot of time to make sure it both had the best ground clearance possible whilst not hitting on the heat shielding or body/diff (if your interested feel free to check out some of my work on my facebook page "NDR fab") :)

I have a race car to use for just those things if needed, however I have taken this car out to the bend already not that I plan to do it again any time soon, I mainly use it for street driving and going for a strap through the hills, but yes you are certainly correct about our extreme hot weather we can see here.

I am all to familiar with the weather/fuel differences between us here in AUS vs the UK, our race/development car is a Fiesta ST of all things and this is a common thing for people here with them as they get most of their stuff from the UK given they have a very similar variant to us, most get the UK flash tunes and use them here which result in limited engine lifespans, for that reason we went a very different direction with ours running a Syvecs ECU with the Di/port injection on E85.

Physically fitting a tuning box would be no issues for me, I have hoists at my shop which I can use if needed, however I have never been a fan of the idea that tricking a ECU of its values is a safe and effective way to achieve more power out of a daily driven car (not to say it doesn't work, however for us over here in AUS how well and for how long is the question)

If it will make the car so on edge that I cannot use it in all conditions I don't think tuning it is the direction I want to go with it, I like the idea of being able to jump in it and drive it wherever, whenever, my other car is more limited like that and I never intended this one to be the same.

I have gone through and read this whole thread now so I have a much clearer picture of what you are trying to say in your previous reply.

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
View attachment 9176
View attachment 9177
View attachment 9175
Thanks
Sound clips please! Fly bys, start up, revving and the works!

·
Registered
477 Posts
@nn7man I have a few questions about your DTE box, if you have a minute.

Are you still happy? How does it drive in comfort? Everything smooth?
I saw your 100-200 kph has improved by about a second. Is the gain noticeable? Do you really feel more acceleration g's?
You've mentioned that you've also tuned the TCU and you did that with the box. How does that work? I didn't see a TCU tuning option on their website.
Debating whether the PedalBox is worth the extra money. I understand it eliminates the pedal response and makes it feel like the old cable throttle systems.

Not looking to have the fastest A45s on the planet obviously, or I'd have opted for one of those powerful UK tunes. Reliability is top priority and since Brabus is no longer an option, DTE sounds like a good alternative. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
The torque increase is especially impressive. So correct it's nearly 500 lbs ft and at half the revs of the stock car. I haven't double checked @Turbo Ed numbers, due to the length of this thread, which were expressed in NM's, but I'm sure you've managed to get more than what he thought the maximum possible was.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The torque increase is especially impressive. So correct it's nearly 500 lbs ft and at half the revs of the stock car. I haven't double checked @Turbo Ed numbers, due to the length of this thread, which were expressed in NM's, but I'm sure you've managed to get more than what he thought the maximum possible was.
Guys, reality check.
I had actually hoped that @veeeight would respond to this; however. it would seem he is going to let me be the bad guy here.

Firstly, acknowledgment
IF the time is correct, no question, the car is FAST.
Fast in a way which could really only be obtained in an English environment.
This car would be a classic example of what NOT to put on a German Autobahn in Summer., (let alone use in Greece, the ME or Australia, almost ever)

However, to the "Dyno" (sic) figures.
I thought we had already discussed the fact that you cannot use chassis dyno figures, in an absolute context, only as a "before and after " set of numbers to document any improvement (hopefully) achieved, using the same dyno each time. I don't believe the standard numbers are on this graph, so we have no baseline.
The "Dyno" is a Dynojet, known around the world as the "barrel of concrete" dyno. Even in a chassis dyno context, this is as bad as it gets. DEFINITELY should ONLY ever be used in a "before and after" context. (Emphasis absolutely intended)
The only chassis dyno which correctly extrapolates engine power, from power measured at the tires, is the Maha MSR500. (Not even other Maha models).
There is possibly a highline Super Flow which also works on the same principle as the Maha; however, these are very rare, at least outside the States.
In almost all cases, if you are measuring power at the wheels, you are better to leave it there and state as such. (EG The entire Australian and US Tuning industries work this way)

@1534walla suggests applying a 1.12 "correction factor". I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest he did not really mean this, as if this statement were true, it would mean the Dyno Cell conditions were absolutely appalling, in a way which I could not believe possible in the UK. (Dubai in July, maybe ! :))
I "think" what he was trying to do was extrapolate the wheel numbers to engine numbers. If so, forget it. (See above)

Finally, @Forrester , even IF the 527 ft lb engine toque number was accurate, this is is just over 700 Nm.
As you might remember, @changchewsoon has been in the mid 700's for months, so, no biggy.
Please don't confuse Torque and HP.
Have another look at @changchewsoon's dyno sheets, also off a "barrel of concrete" dyno.
Essentially a 50% increase in torque and a 15% increase in power.
A classic example of a turbo running out of ar.

Easy for the turbo to provide sufficient air for the torque increase in the 3,000 to 5,000 RPM range; however due to its deliberate sizing by AMG, ( in order to stop us all "playing" with their product), impossible to maintain the same increase in power at 6.800 RPM.

Definitely a fast car though when used in the Misty Isles. and WOT not able to held for more than 10 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
Glad to see you are up and about and fully recollecting the huge amount of information in this thread. How is your long hot summer for the A45s.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Glad to see you are up and about and fully recollecting the huge amount of information in this thread. How is your long hot summer for the A45s.
Oh, @veeeight and his good mate @Craig70 do a reasonable job of keeping me "up and about" !! :)

The irony of this season in OZ?
The East Coast is being subjected to the "La Nina" effect, which comes around every seven years or so, dumps a lot of rain (which we need, to make up for the other six years) and drops the summer temps from the 40's to the low 30's. The latter being so unusual, many in OZ actually call it "cool" !! :)
However, next Summer, "Normal service will be resumed".! :)

With my vehicle, it has been apart since early December, for multiple reasons. (I had to fly up to my sister's at Christmas)
1) It takes longer to install 36 data sensors, than you might think.
2) I had the Turbo, Intercooler, downpipe and exhaust system, all "Jigged" for future manufacture of improved components while it was all apart.
3) Australia closed for the long Summer holidays around the 17th Dec and really does no start up again until the 17rth Jan. (Like France or Italy in August)

I hope to have the car at the specialist Electricians for the Data Logging wiring Loom to be made sometime during February.

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
I hope it dries out by June/July when my much delayed road trip is meant to happen.

1121 - 1140 of 1156 Posts