Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1181 - 1200 of 1206 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Finally got to drop my second set of cylinder head, intake and exhaust manifolds off to the Cylinder Head modification company for flow analysis today.
The workshop doing all the mechanical sensor installation work had wanted to keep them up until now for easy reference.

Obviously I shall Post all the flow data as soon as I have it.
This will tell us a lot, as to just what potential exists in the basic design.

Interesting the view AMG has taken relatively recently with respect to our M139 engine.
They are actively discouraging field rebuild of the engine and consequently no longer making available basic engine dimensional data.

My Arrow Con-rods have been delayed for weeks while attempting to obtain the official connecting rod big end clamp dimension.

In any event, I have it now, so Arrow will be back on track shortly.
I have to say, there is company of which the GB Motorsports industry can be justly proud.
One of many, of course !! :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
On your warranty point I had no problems whatsoever with my original A45 which was Brabus tuned. I in fact pointed it out to the garage to make sure they didn’t mess anything up when I had the turbo changed.
Appreciate some comments on your car after a Brabus treatment. I take it that you installed the PowerXtra B450 kit.
Cheers mate!

·
Super Moderator
5,513 Posts
Appreciate some comments on your car after a Brabus treatment. I take it that you installed the PowerXtra B450 kit.
Cheers mate!
No luck with Brabus. The various discussions around this are in this thread.

But the long and the short of it is that Brabus are withdrawing the module, although its still on their website last I looked. They cannot get around the MB software, which is being installed retrospectively on the A45s. In addition they are only installing at their factory, which has been very difficult for us in the UK to do during various lockdowns. But there is now also a lot of paperwork we would need to complete post leaving the EU, in order not to be double taxed.

·
Super Moderator
5,513 Posts
Yes there are a lot of options but I've kind of given up on a tune for the moment and will see if the FL is worth considering and from what you have posted the new 2025/26 version is probably the one to save our pennies for.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Looking around there is a workshop in Hailsham -EST Performance- that seems to do a lot of A45s'. Anyone have expedience there?
My understanding is its the cpc thats still the big roadblock. As others have demonstrated a mild power increase with an interceptor module is the only real choice. The bugger with that is one on the sensors is difficult to reach and you need a hoist to fit/remove. With our 5ys factory warranty in Aus does not seem worthwhile for a modest power increase only. In the sense that you may not notice much difference unless at the drags or strip.
I would rather mod the awd/4matic+ system, but no one else even talks about this. Shift more power to the rear 30/70 or 20/80. Would completely change driving dynamics.... thats my biggest drawback rather than straight line speed.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Looking around there is a workshop in Hailsham -EST Performance- that seems to do a lot of A45s'. Anyone have expedience there?
My understanding is its the cpc thats still the big roadblock. As others have demonstrated a mild power increase with an interceptor module is the only real choice. The bugger with that is one on the sensors is difficult to reach and you need a hoist to fit/remove. With our 5ys factory warranty in Aus does not seem worthwhile for a modest power increase only. In the sense that you may not notice much difference unless at the drags or strip.
I would rather mod the awd/4matic+ system, but no one else even talks about this. Shift more power to the rear 30/70 or 20/80. Would completely change driving dynamics.... thats my biggest drawback rather than straight line speed.
Not sure if you have thoughts of obtaining an EST Tune in some manner; however a serious word of warning regarding using any UK Tune in Australia.
Definitely a genuine recipe for disaster.

You have a MSR500 in Sydney and the people who operate it appear to have had good results with the W177 A45S.
Why not, "shop local"?
Any competent Tuner can address the CPC issue, using the bFlash software I have mentioned previously
Certainly the guys with the MSR500 in Melbourne can, if you have doubts about the Sydney Tuners.

I agree with you about the front to rear tongue delivery split being a nice idea to be able to Tune.
However, even if it were possible through aftermarket ECU Tuning, don't forget about the mechanical torque capacity of the rear diff components.
They will have been designed around the torque split as envisaged by the OEM Engineers.
In other words, even if you could do what you want, electronically, mechanically it would almost certainly become very expensive !! :)
( By way of broken parts, I mean)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Iam not hung up on dyno type, its just one tool to get results. I would not lomit myself to one dyno. In any case can you share any public results from Sydney and Melbourne tuner/s?
And cpc tuning results?

Any mods will exceed manufacturer tolerances. Its part of the game we play.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Iam not hung up on dyno type, its just one tool to get results. I would not lomit myself to one dyno. In any case can you share any public results from Sydney and Melbourne tuner/s?
And cpc tuning results?

Any mods will exceed manufacturer tolerances. Its part of the game we play.
LOL!!
Unfortunately, no.!! :)
With our cars, the type of dyno is critical.
You need a linked roller dyno and no DD or Mainline is built that way.
So, unfortunately you DO need to limit yourself to the one MSR500 dyno in Sydney or Melbourne.
A total pain I agree; however, don't forget my gearbox "issues".
I learnt the hard way, even if MB Australia were extremely gracious about it all.

Re the results from the Sydney Tuners, why not pop in and ask to see some dyno sheets ?
You can assess for yourself, what you think of their competency by asking the right questions.

If you have any doubts after your visit, I can certainly put you in touch with the Melbourne guys.
However, I can tell you a few things in advance.
1) They are excellent; however do know it. Can you say, arrogance?
2) They only custom Tune on the vehicle. Are scathing about any form of remote Tuning ( Or, Tuning Boxes!! :))
3) They will want your vehicle for three days.
4) They actually work on it for three days, so you can imagine the cost. IE $3.5K

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are you sure your gearbox failure was not user error putting it on a hub dyno?
I mean a quick google search shows loads of videos/pics of a45s' on multiple non-Maha roller dynos?
Is International Autohas the Sydney tuner you are refering to?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I mean a quick google search shows loads of videos/pics of a45s' on multiple non-Maha roller dynos?
Is International Autohaus the Sydney tuner you are referring to?
It was definitely a user error to put it on a Hub dyno, no question.
However, the real issue is the non connected front / rear axles. (Of which Hub dynos are the worst possible example)
If you want to take the chance, don't let me stop you !! :)

There are other brands of dynos (apart from Maha) running connected front rear rollers, particularly in Europe.

Have you found many examples of our cars in Australia on either DD's or Mainlines?
If so and there is one in Sydney with which you are comfortable, knock your self out !!
Be worth your while to ask whose Tuning software they use, also.
On our cars, only the bFlash will do.

I believe you are probably correct with the location of the MSR500 in Sydney; however a quick phone call to them will obviously confirm it for you.
Maha Australia is also in Sydney, which would be another way for you to find the machine.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Is International Autohaus the Sydney tuner you are referring to?
Yes, definitely International Autohaus general enquiries, 9519 3766, you can see their Maha on their home page
Or, you call Allen, who looks like he may be the Tuner, Owner, directly on 9313 8060.

There is something a little confusing about this company and its tuning activities
. It could be two companies sharing facilities.
I strongly recommend you go and check it out in person,

·
Super Moderator
5,513 Posts
If the gearbox/torque transfer is "tuned" will that not still affect the warranty. I also think from what we have seen with @Turbo Ed gearbox issues, user error or not, is that it is actually quite a delicate piece of hardware. There are also FB posts of gearbox failures, although I tend to take the ins and outs of some of those posts with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well @nn7man has posted a 100-200 kph difference of 1 second, compared to stock. What that means is you would be doing 200 kph instead of 190. Of course that doesn't mean you would be gaining 10 kph throughout the whole run, that would be bus length difference, but probably something like 5 kph gain at 150. In my experience, that would translate to approx. two cars gain, which is pretty good for a mild/safe hp increase.

To drift easily I don't think we need more power to the rear, unless it's something else your looking for. I find our cars are fairly easy to drift even without drift mode. I do it in race mode, esp-sport (yup, it still works, no need to deactivate) and manual and works great at 50 mph on the exit of 45 degree turns. All it takes is hit the gas and simultaneously turn the wheel a little further in same direction until the back starts to come round, then quickly counter steer. I don't do it in crowded areas and there can't be other cars near me, also don't sustain my drifts for more than a second or two. So it's basically a quick counter steer and that's it. Our cars are rear biased and we have enough torque to break traction even without having to downshift.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If the gearbox/torque transfer is "tuned" will that not still affect the warranty. I also think from what we have seen with @Turbo Ed gearbox issues, user error or not, is that it is actually quite a delicate piece of hardware. There are also FB posts of gearbox failures, although I tend to take the ins and outs of some of those posts with a pinch of salt.
@Forrester
Please don't read into my / the tuner's error that our W177's have a "delicate" gearbox.
The W176? Absolutely, although Dodson's are in the process of addressing this.
In regard to our gearbox, though, just look at @changchewsoon's experience.
At last report, he was putting 750 Nm though our 520 Nm rated box.
By any definition, that is not too shabby..
Yes, his Tuner has increased clamp pressure and reduced shift times (slippage); however no mechanical changes.
So, unless he comes on here and reports some recent problem, i think you can feel reasonably confident in our gearboxes.

Plenty of other issues in our Powertrain, just not that one !! :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
@Theo Yeah easy to get the tail to wag in esp-sport, also higher tyre pressure at rear. Not quite opposite lock power oversteer but very safe and controllable.

What I am more after is driving feel/dynamics. Think about M car versus Audi RS, people will always say the M car is nicer to drive than an equally fast RS. Its steering feel, road connection, throttle control from the rear. Its why I find my next door neighbours GR Yaris a somwhat nicer driving experience than my A45s - the A45s has many other advantages.

Been speaking to a few experienced AMG tuners. There is no tuning solution for the 4matic system. They all tell me its predominantly front wheel drive most of the time with 80:20 split. Only get 50:50 when launching or when it shifts power mid corner. Hence initial understeer and why the ESP is so intrusive. Dont get me wrong, its way better than most cars, its my obsession to tune/mod cars to my perfection. All round the A45s cant be beat as a part time daily practical car.

·
Registered
564 Posts
@Theo Yeah easy to get the tail to wag in esp-sport, also higher tyre pressure at rear. Not quite opposite lock power oversteer but very safe and controllable.

What I am more after is driving feel/dynamics. Think about M car versus Audi RS, people will always say the M car is nicer to drive than an equally fast RS. Its steering feel, road connection, throttle control from the rear. Its why I find my next door neighbours GR Yaris a somwhat nicer driving experience than my A45s - the A45s has many other advantages.

Been speaking to a few experienced AMG tuners. There is no tuning solution for the 4matic system. They all tell me its predominantly front wheel drive most of the time with 80:20 split. Only get 50:50 when launching or when it shifts power mid corner. Hence initial understeer and why the ESP is so intrusive. Dont get me wrong, its way better than most cars, its my obsession to tune/mod cars to my perfection. All round the A45s cant be beat as a part time daily practical car.
I get what you are saying. But I'm afraid if AMG is so passionately against simple ECU tuning of their products, they have probably locked their 4matic behind so many firewalls that if you ever found a way in, you would be qualified to print your own money. Mailing them the link to this thread, I dunno why you would but say you did, because why not, your message would be deleted so fast it would be world record.

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
122 Posts
Hi all,

Was busy for the past couple of months and haven't had the opportunity to come back here and share updates!

I've been reading up on all the posts since the last I logged in, and @Turbo Ed glad to see you are making progress on the engine! Hope everything is smooth over there?

The car has been running fine so far, although I should been driving the car more. I've only managed to clock just over 10,000 KM after owning the car for over just 16 months now. That's barely less than 800 KM of driving per month, but I do drive the car very hard every time I get a chance to do so.

My transmission is fine so far, I am not sure whether this piece of information helps but I do want to report that due to CPC flashing my tuner was able to adjust the cooling for my transmission and as a result, the transmission oil temperature is always 10-20 degrees lower than the engine oil temperature. Heck, during cold starts sometimes when the engine oil temperature has already entered working mode but the transmission oil temperature is not even remotely close yet to reaching working temperature. Below is an example of when the engine oil temperature is over 70 degrees Celsius, but the transmission oil temperature has barely even touch 40 degrees Celsius.
Trip computer Vehicle Speedometer Odometer Gauge

And after a spirited driving, for example if the engine oil temperature is over 90 degrees the transmission oil temperature is about 20 degrees lower like the picture I took below. I think this probably would help a lot in prolonging the lifespan of the transmission and maybe can cope with more heat/abuse?
Speedometer Odometer Automotive design Trip computer Tachometer

I also installed an aftermarket diverter valve from Turbosmart. I installed this purely out of curiosity, not that the stock diverter valve isn't able to hold boost. At least, from all the past previous datalogs, there is no indication the stock diverter valve is not working as intended.

The model I went with was a recirculation model, although there is a vent to atmosphere model which I didn't choose because I am not a fan of the sound, just a personal preference.
Material property Carton Font Packaging and labeling Electric blue

The first is our stock diverter valve and the second is the one from Turbosmart. I did notice that like all diverter valves from manufacturers, the centre diaphragm is made of plastic while the Turbosmart is of billet construct. This is a direct plug and play fitting by the way.
Hand Point-and-shoot camera Digital camera Camera lens Camera accessory

And I also installed the Eventuri intake and while it sounds a little bit more nicer than my old Armaspeed intake, I am sad to report that the dyno did not pick up any power gains at all. Well, this is kind of expected as even with the stock intake back then, the datalogs didn't show any signs of restrictions after the car was tuned, so even when the Armaspeed intake went in, the dyno didn't pick up any power gains. But the Eventuri intake does looks nice and sounds nicer, I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind the extra sound and also a nicer engine bay dressing. Maybe one day if someone does a larger turbo upgrade, the intake might benefit it.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

And I saw you guys are discussing about TCU flash as well. I am currently awaiting my tuner to prepare a TCU tune for me, and I hope to get it either by this month or next month. I don't have much to report back besides trying to drive the car as much as I can while waiting.

Meanwhile, recently there was a software release for the PTCU (Powertrain Controller Unit)/CPC in our country, and some of my friends who updated it reported a smoother gear change especially during downshifts from gear 2 to 1 where they experienced jerking etc.

But they realised that when Mercedes updated their car, those who had ECU remapped done were reverted back to stock. And the funny thing I discovered that when I used Xentry to do a reading, the TCU version is different as well.

Anyhow, here are the screenshots so you can reference it.

The first screenshot is a readout from a stock car without any updates from Mercedes, and the second screenshot is a readout from a car right after it has been updated.

Program status for the stock car is reading d2g319aa40tx while the car that has been updated is showing d2g319aa41tx. My tuner is guessing that Mercedes probably addressed the jerkiness by increasing the torque control in the TCU.

According to Mercedes service advisor, the updated was only released in the beginning of May, and they only would perform the update when they received complaints from the car owners.

This is for the CLA 45S by the way. I am not sure whether it applies to the A45S but my guess it should since both cars are running the same transmission. Hope the info helps!

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Screenshot

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Super Moderator
5,513 Posts
Glad to see you guys in the Far East are out of lockdown 👌

1181 - 1200 of 1206 Posts