Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1201 - 1211 of 1211 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
124 Posts
Mr Chang, where did you tune your car in Kuala Lumpur?
I’m from Ipoh famous for its bean sprouts chicken (Nga Choy Kai) & shredded chicken noodle soup (Kai Si Hor Fun)
Hope to hear from you soon.
Cheers mate!
Hi hello! Happy to see another fellowman from my country here.
My car is remotely tuned by my tuner from US, his name is Safa Yousef from Mega 3 Performance.

·
Registered
670 Posts
@Sixman
have you checked out the MSR500 Maha Dyno in Rockdale yet?
I was in Sydney last week for work and took the opportunity to check out a few things, including a visit to Mainline's factory and discussion with their Chief Engineer.
If you would like details as to what I found, by all means PM me,

·
Registered
670 Posts
@changchewsoon

Thanks for your very comprehensive rundown.
You are indeed fortunate to have such a competent Tuner, particularly as he has to work with the tyranny of distance.

Given I know you (and he) are at least as paranoid as myself when it comes to data acquisition, have either of you spent much time looking at inlet manifold charge temps?

EG in 30 to 40C ambient, what inlet manifold charge temps would you usually see:-
a) at 100 KPH cruise ?
b) WOT at the end of a 100 to 200 KPH timing run?

You are certainly right on point when it comes to the effect of trans oil temperature on the life of your transmission when putting 50% over the rated torque limit through it.
Do you know what % reduction in shift time / slippage he programmed in? That is also extremely important, as is the clutch plate apply pressure, of course.

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
124 Posts
@changchewsoon

Thanks for your very comprehensive rundown.
You are indeed fortunate to have such a competent Tuner, particularly as he has to work with the tyranny of distance.

Given I know you (and he) are at least as paranoid as myself when it comes to data acquisition, have either of you spent much time looking at inlet manifold charge temps?

EG in 30 to 40C ambient, what inlet manifold charge temps would you usually see:-
a) at 100 KPH cruise ?
b) WOT at the end of a 100 to 200 KPH timing run?

You are certainly right on point when it comes to the effect of trans oil temperature on the life of your transmission when putting 50% over the rated torque limit through it.
Do you know what % reduction in shift time / slippage he programmed in? That is also extremely important, as is the clutch plate apply pressure, of course.
I do have some WOT logs and partial throttle driving logs which include air intake temperature. But I am not sure whether the temperature was measured pre or post manifold as it was done via the OBD port and it is reporting whatever the ECU is seeing.

At 24-26 degree ambient, on partial throttle the temperature is between 38-45 degrees when driving around town between gear 1 to gear 4.

At 24-26 degree ambient, on wide open throttle the temperature is between 38-52 degrees. During the first 4 gears, temperature seems stable at 45 degrees, and on the 5th gear until redline the temperature rises very quickly and within one gear itself it could rise as much as 7 degrees.

Unfortunately I completely did not log anything much related to the transmission besides some torque related intervention by the TCU, and definitely nothing related to the clutch pressure. I am not even sure if there is a channel present to log for clutch pressure. Actually, I will try to identify it and log it the next time. It will be good to know for sure.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I do have some WOT logs and partial throttle driving logs which include air intake temperature. But I am not sure whether the temperature was measured pre or post manifold as it was done via the OBD port and it is reporting whatever the ECU is seeing.

At 24-26 degree ambient, on partial throttle the temperature is between 38-45 degrees when driving around town between gear 1 to gear 4.

At 24-26 degree ambient, on wide open throttle the temperature is between 38-52 degrees. During the first 4 gears, temperature seems stable at 45 degrees, and on the 5th gear until redline the temperature rises very quickly and within one gear itself it could rise as much as 7 degrees.

Unfortunately I completely did not log anything much related to the transmission besides some torque related intervention by the TCU, and definitely nothing related to the clutch pressure. I am not even sure if there is a channel present to log for clutch pressure. Actually, I will try to identify it and log it the next time. It will be good to know for sure.
@changchewsoon
Thanks very much for your input, it is greatly appreciated and confirms our suspicions
There are only two inlet tract temperature sensors in our vehicles, standard.
1) A pre turbo sensor, immediately prior to compressor entry, in the plastic elbow.
2) In the inlet manifold, itself.

Your figures must be the inlet manifold figures.

So, your figures align with mine, if you add 10C to them to account for the difference in ambient temperature.
To operate a modern turbo vehicle. with inlet manifold temperatures 20C to 30C above ambient, is, from a performance perspective, literally unforgiveable.
Of course, being German, it is not an accident or mistake.
It is quite deliberate and for what are to them, perfectly good reasons.
IE Emissions compliance and Fuel consumption.

Now, if you start from an average UK ambient of 20C, it is still poor from a performance perspective; however, I guess, tolerable.
Where you and I live?
FAR from satisfactory.

At the moment I am waiting for Flow test results on the cylinder head.
Once I know the absolute potential of our engine, one way or another, I shall decide if I am going ahead with this vehicle.

IF I go ahead, then one of the first priorities will be to redesign the entire Intercooler system so that inlet manifold temperatures are only 10C at worst, higher than ambient.

Actually, if I do go ahead, I shall probably also incorporate a product made here in Australia, which for a short period of time, (say around 3 minutes at WOT) will keep the inlet manifold temperature approx. 20C, BELOW ambient.
So, on a 40C ambient Australian summer day, the car will think it is operating in the UK in the middle of winter. ( -10C ambient?), with the standard intercooler system.

This will at least allow me to run Standing Miles without issue.

·
Super Moderator
5,648 Posts
Guys the best tune you can get is to shed your passenger.

My wife is away with my daughters for one of their hen do's, so for the first time ever, in any volume, I've been driving without her in the passenger seat. Don't forget my A45s is a lockdown car so it's the way it's worked out in terms of both of us being in it almost always.

But wow, without her in the car it's just a totally different, with what feels like a massive tune. It's totally transformed my driving experience. Okay I can floor the throttle more often as there is no one to keep me in check, but when it moves it's absolutely phenomenal. It's the car I didn't know I had :D:D:D

·
Registered
670 Posts
Guys the best tune you can get is to shed your passenger.

My wife is away with my daughters for one of their hen do's, so for the first time ever, in any volume, I've been driving without her in the passenger seat. Don't forget my A45s is a lockdown car so it's the way it's worked out in terms of both of us being in it almost always.

But wow, without her in the car it's just a totally different, with what feels like a massive tune. It's totally transformed my driving experience. Okay I can floor the throttle more often as there is no one to keep me in check, but when it moves it's absolutely phenomenal. It's the car I didn't know I had :D:D:D
What you you saying about your passenger mass ??!! :)

Yup, mass will do it every time
Just ask Colin Chapman !! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,648 Posts
What you you saying about your passenger mass ??!! :)

Yup, mass will do it every time
Just ask Colin Chapman !! :)
I don’t know what mass we’re talking about as it’s top secret and she won’t tell me. But if it’s say 11 stones, totally hypocritically, that reduces the bhp/ton. But as I say it’s a totally different car with just me in it.

Wife and daughters are now back so while I’ll be a Lone Ranger today, for various reasons, after that it’s back to my blunted A45s 😩

Anyway I’m looking forward to my Australia road trip in a few weeks from now. Even if it’s only in a Toyota Camry or similar.

1201 - 1211 of 1211 Posts