Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Reinstalled my Blackvue DR490L 2-channel dashcam from the W176 A200 into the missile today. Took a little while to sort out suitable ignition and permanent live supplies, plus ensure the piggy back fuse connectors were a good fit in unused slots; 125 for ignition and 162 for permanent.

Minor details with trim and seals are a bit trickier in the W177 than the W176, but other than that the routing is very similar, all the way to the rear screen.

At some point when I've collated all the photos, I'm not out in the missile, or wiring the house, or gardening, or at work, it's arse weather and there's no pixels to kill, no premium TV to watch (all you GoT addicts) and other sundry excuses, I might eventually post a guide.
Great thread and loving the Mojave silver saw one in the flesh at Caffeine & Machine a few weeks back and it looked stunning.

Cheers for the dashcam install pics I'm just doing this myself. One thing I've picked up though is you've routed cables over the curtain airbag rather than behind them - hopefully they'll never deploy and it'll never be an issue but for the sake of 10 mins it may be worth a look.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Good point with the rear channel cable, it may look that way from the photo with the A-Pillar cover open. The final routing for that power cable is across the join between the headlining and cover, then down the bottom edge of the A-Pillar cover, out into the front door seal, then across to the outer edge of the glove box.

If the curtain airbag deploys, unless the top end of it blows the front left corner of the head lining down with it, the cable won't be likely to impede deployment.

For info, the rear channel cable transits the C-Pillar rear airbag space, across the top edge of the cover and into the rear head lining. Again the final routing is placed to avoid likely entanglement with the airbag.

Reactions: AMGA35

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
In another missile moment, I went on a longer trip from Cornwall to Kent and back over the course of last weekend.

Feck this car is comfortable over distance and does it eat miles so effortlessly.

The outbound trip on Saturday was a long. lazy cruise over 318 miles across the south of England; A30 (briefly M5). A303,M3, M26,M20, which took about 5 hours 35 minutes and returned ... an unbelievable ... 44.8 mpg (feck!). The only particularly busy spots were the A303 3-Lane stretch and inevitably the brief foray onto the M25. Everyone else appeared to be heading west.

Again, like the Bath run, the only noticeable thing was the passage of time, with no real fatigue or discomfort. I guess I had tweaked the seat position spot on within the first couple of weeks. I do have to stress that this seems to be key to long distance comfort.

The home run on Monday was a little longer at about 5 hours 45 minutes, as I had to stop for fuel on way and there was some commercial traffic on the road, bank holiday or not. Consumption was 43.5 mpg this time, with some stop-start traffic here and there, particularly past Stonehenge, oh and a few dabs of the right pedal here and there.

I have but one oddity to report ... despite six weeks and venturing out of Kernow as far as Gloucestershire and Kent, I've not seen one single A35 on the road apart from my reflection.

Attachments

Reactions: AMGA35

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow sounds like you get amazing fuel economy. I got my A35 on March 3rd from Exeter.
Fully run in now, I do a lot of my daily driving over Dartmoors twisty lanes and my fuel economy is 27-30 mpg at best! No matter how conservatively I drive but mostly it’s on the lower end as I like to be in S+ mode and enjoying the car.
I did get 38.5mpg on the 300mile drive to MB world to do the free driving experience but that’s plenty of dual carriageway driving.

I’d be interested to hear how others are getting on.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I too find it amazing that Southwestwall manages to get 40+ mpg out of his A35. I’m getting mid thirties at best, but typically 28-30 mpg. I think I have a lead right foot ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Southwestwall bought an A180 and put the A35 kit on it that’s why he’s getting 40 +

If you listen to his car it probably sounds like a tractor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
LOL, come on Southwestwall admit it ?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
You guys do realise that the accelerator pedal in the A35 does actually have a variable range between the stops ...and is not in fact an on-off switch? :p

Oh and that commuting in Sport + makes the ride hard and hangs on to gears for far too long to no effect, other than to shout at the world and empty your pocket faster? Each to their own of course.

If you take the time to watch grown-ups in AMG's, they tend to waft along in a rather civilised and superior fashion for the most part. Velocity without drama.

On the other hand, barking and pissing everywhere like an angry puppy is the predominantly the purview of SEAT drivers and the like. Nuff said, eh? ;)

Reactions: AThirtyFive

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Fair play there sir :wink:

I have been putting my car into “individual” mode as soon as I start it for normal driving. Individual for me is Sport+ but with the dampers set to comfort. I’m still waiting to grow up, so no wafting for me, just lots of grrrr grrrrrr grrrrr pop pop pop :smile:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
For those who have asked and those who are curious, here is an example of an OASIS vehicle order report.

This should be available when a factory build slot is allocated to an order. Any excuses made to avoid producing a copy would indicate that a build slot has not been allocated.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Booked my AMG driving experience during some holiday time in September.

It's a fairly long journey, so we're planning to make a break of the trip, stay in the Brooklands hotel and visit some of the nearby attractions such as MB World, the Brooklands museum and a visit to RHS Wisley for wifey.

Maybe a stay at one of The Pig hotels on the way back in the New Forest or down at Studland would do nicely as well.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Picked up a nail in the rear right on Friday. We were less than a mile out on our way home when a tyre pressure warning popped up.

Saw the head of the blighter bedded in the outer channel when parked in the drive. Luckily it was a slow leak and the pressure had held at about 110kpa (16 psi).

What to do? Feck about with it myself? Not likely at half-four on Friday afternoon. On bank holiday weekend. Back in the car to push the Me button for some roadside assist.

The van turned up about 30 minutes later and when quizzed about a replacement at the dealer, the reply was not until Wednesday, as the tyre tech was way until Tuesday and a new Conti Sport 6 235/40R18 would have to be ordered in.

Suggested solutions were ...

- fitting a space-saver (or re-inflating the tyre!) and chasing around the local tyre outlets for a repair. When asked if it was likely to be repairable, the reply was that it was uncertain whether it would be in limits or if any outlet would repair it.

- fitting a space-saver and chasing around the local tyre outlets for another 235 tyre locally. When asked about availability of a Conti 6, as there was no chance of running on odd tyres or replacing a pair, the reply was that it was unlikely, as even the dealer didn't have them in stock.

- fitting a space-saver and sending the wheel back in the van for replacement or repair at the dealer. The response to that one was a resounding no to limping around on a space-saver for five days, when it was intended as a get-you-home option.

It was past time to make things clear ... customers don't waste their bank holiday chasing tyres and repairs, or limping around on three and a half tyres for a week, because they pay for a service where other people to do the fixing and life continues relatively uninterrupted.

My suggestion? …

Call for a loan car and a flatbed recovery to return my A35 to the dealer, for a tyre repair or replacement next Tuesday. Man hopped back into van and made some calls.

A couple of hours later, the recovery truck trundled away with my A35. Europcar then called, to apologise for the delay and arrange delivery first thing in the morning. True to their word they dropped off a freshly valeted A200 Premium Plus first thing.

Whilst out and about on Saturday I realised my sunglasses were in the A35. No problem, the dealer was ten minutes away and it gave me an excuse to check on the missile. Reassuringly, it was tucked away out of sight in the compound and the tyre was still up.

Yes it took a couple of hours to arrange and yes the missile has been downgraded to a food mixer for a few days.

However, it's a far better outcome than the suggestions offered and it's what we pay for. Like others have reiterated, push the Me button. When you do, make sure you're not short changed.

As for comparing the loan car with the missile? That is perhaps another tale for another audience, suffice to say that the Premium Plus pack is definitely 1500 sterlings best not spent.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The missile is back on the drive. The nail was a straight-through within limits for repair and it was apparently still up from Friday, when I called the dealer this morning.

Mercedes-AMG called on the way home, to check on progress and to offer assistance getting the car back on the road, but fortunately everything was already in hand.

The tyre was repaired and my A35 ready for collection from the dealer after work, unsurprisingly as good as their word.

The roadside assist service has been effective in keeping me on the road, given the circumstances, even if the solution was rather convoluted for a slow puncture. To be fair, things were somewhat hampered by the bank holiday, where otherwise it would probably have been resolved in a day.

No offence to the A200 owners, but it was a joyous reunion after the last four days.

Two things I would keep from the loaner though, economy mode and gear number indication in drive.

Two things well learned from the loaner as well, definitely fifteen hundred sovs well unspent not going Premium Plus. However, money very well spent having privacy glass dealer installed. With a glass roof and plain windows, that car heated up like a b'stard and quicker parked out in the sun, compared to the missile.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I guess it’s personal preferences, but I went prem plus, the sunroof alone is worth it to me, I rarely open it, but the additional light, to me, makes the car so much nicer. If I shut the roof blind I find it claustrophobic and dark. Would be nice to have the roof as a separate option, the Burmester is not great when on the move.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Love the extra bits you get on the Prem Plus - especially the adaptive multibeam LEDs which are amazing and somewhat hypnotic

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Went on another missile adventure on Sunday, to a wedding. Near Folkestone, from western Cornwall. And back the same day. 665 miles or thereabouts.

If you have to long haul, this is definitely a damned fine car to do it in. Arrived as fresh as a daisy. Returned home with posture and eyeballs intact.

Outbound journey was 336 miles in 5:40 at 45.6 mpg, with the patchy weather keeping some of the sheep off the road, making for a relatively quiet trip.

Homeward was 329 miles in 5:17 at 41.5 mpg, windier, with more grim weather than outbound … and in the calm periods, some glimpses of inner child. Sunday night but even quieter.

On a long stretch of empty dual with no exits, there was a rare opportunity for a vmax run. The limiter does indeed cut in as demonstrated on AutoTopNL.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It's been a while and there have been a couple of events with the Missile. Consumption remains a steady 35 mpg overall at 11500 miles and 10 months of happy motoring, with that first birthday and service approaching fast.

A couple of weeks ago I had my second efficient and effective roadside assist event, again on the drive at home. After reversing in and shutting down, the 'transmission in park but not indicated' snag cropped up, which effectively paralyses the car.

With the ignition on, a couple of red warnings appeared; 'without changing gear consult workshop' and 'apply parking brake'. The parking brake was definitely applied and would operate. The engine would not start and I noticed there was no indicator square over any of the transmission positions.

The car was in park, as when the EPB was released, it could be rocked slightly but move no further. Next step ... reach up and push the Me button, that's what it's there for. Twenty minutes later, the van pitched up and after a brief discussion it was time for a hard reset. A couple of minutes after that, everything fired up as normal.

One hangover was a yellow front right airbag warning latched on, which I popped into the dealer for last week and had reset. Along with a complimentary health check and a full valet. And coffee, Lotus Biscoff, chit-chat and meddling with new cars.

Which leads to the second event … new boots. I've previously mentioned elsewhere hereabouts that I'm no great fan of the Conti 6's the Missile arrived with, as although very grippy in the dry, they're noisy, a bit sketchy in the wet and aren't made to last. They're not well rated for fuel economy either compared to other performance tyres. Time for a change.

I knew the Conti's were on their way out, particularly at the front, a while ago and asked for a quote whilst at the dealer whilst in for the reset, though it wouldn't be competitive. Sure enough it wasn't, so later I ordered a set of four Dunlop SportMaxx RT2 with my local fitter for 450 sterlings. The health check at the dealer picked up that the fronts were actually shot on the inside edge, which was confirmed when they came off today, so there's been some inboard alignment bias chewing away at them.

The tyre fitter didn't have the gear on their rig to check alignment on the Missile, but recommended it was checked as soon as possible owing to the heavy inboard wear. First trip on the new boots to bed them in was straight to the dealer. After a brief civilised chat about the problem with the service manager, the Missile was in the shop for a complimentary alignment check and adjustment, to be checked again when the service is due.

So all is well that ends well, owing to some brief, efficient and civilised interaction. The Missile is running true on new rubber, with minimal interruption to happy motoring. Next stop first service.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts