Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Good write up @Southwestwall. It will be interesting to hear how the Dunlops compare to the Contis when you've had a few more miles on them. Will be interesting to hear if there is any perceptible difference in motorway road noise. Also, it will be interesting to know whether they affect your MPG...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've finally got to exploit the full arsenal that these cars have. Sport+ mode was quite something. The acceleration with the twin Scroll turbo was amazing. On full throttle the gear changes wear instant, making a kind of fart sound, similar to my old MK7 Golf GTI. The pops and bangs really do add to the enjoyment, when your having a spirited drive. The brakes are amazing too at high speed applications. However, best of all, I gotta say that i was quite surprised at how much better this car handles than my old GTI. I didn't think it would be so significant, but you can definitely push harder in the bends and trust the 4 magic system to do its work.

I'm very happy with this purchase and glad I didn't wait for the MK8 Golf. Enjoy these fabulous machines guys. You truly have to admire all the research and development that has taken years to perform and to finally be put into such a competent little car. My first ever Merecedes and I think I'm now here to stay...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Reinstalled my Blackvue DR490L 2-channel dashcam from the W176 A200 into the missile today. Took a little while to sort out suitable ignition and permanent live supplies, plus ensure the piggy back fuse connectors were a good fit in unused slots; 125 for ignition and 162 for permanent.

Minor details with trim and seals are a bit trickier in the W177 than the W176, but other than that the routing is very similar, all the way to the rear screen.

At some point when I've collated all the photos, I'm not out in the missile, or wiring the house, or gardening, or at work, it's arse weather and there's no pixels to kill, no premium TV to watch (all you GoT addicts) and other sundry excuses, I might eventually post a guide.
Hi Bud,

Any info on removing the B pillar trim will help. I did manage to tuck most of the cable but on the two corners I can still that tiny bit of cable. Please advise.

Thanks
Sal

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
@ST09: I didn't remove the B-Pillar trim. Like my previous W176 installation, where the cable exited from under the top of the front passenger door seal, I gently pushed the rear channel cable into the join where the trim and the headlining meet, with the edge of my Leatherman bit stowage of all things (in one of the pictures) … blunt edged, narrow and soft plastic.

Then from the B-Pillar/headlining join, under the top of the rear passenger side door seal, under the C-Pillar airbag cover, above the rear headlining into the tailgate conduit, under the top of the rear screen trim and into the camera at the top centre of the rear screen.

Reactions: ST09

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well I hope everyone is well during the current situation. Wifey and I are key workers required on site, so the missile is still routinely making it out further than the grocery run. That being said we've just had a week off with pretty decent weather, which we've enjoyed in the garden at least. And on the driveway.

A silver lining has been the opportunity to tackle some of those in-depth tasks, one of which was giving the missile a proper clean after the winter.

After a decent wash and rinse, the last two afternoons have been spent clay bar detailing the bodywork. Really? One year old and polymer coated? Yes indeed and well worth the effort. There was a peppering of tar spots and a fair amount of deep seated grime, particularly along the flanks. The whole exterior looks and feels really slick.

Now to clean the exterior glass and renew the rain-away treatment. After that the interior, again the glass and time for leather conditioning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Southwestwall. I'm considering taking a CLA 250e Shooting Brake on a business lease. Colours are limited but I've narrowed it down to Mountain Grey with Black or Black/Titanium Grey OR Mojave Silver with Bahia Brown. It's very hard to find pictures of UK-spec CLAs in Mojave Silver but from what I have seen it looks best with black alloys like yours. Sadly the CLA 250e doesn't have those as an option, only the grey ones which just don't pop as much. Did you get the dealer to swap yours over and if so did you pay extra for the privelege?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sadly the CLA 250e doesn't have those as an option, only the grey ones which just don't pop as much. Did you get the dealer to swap yours over and if so did you pay extra for the privelege?
The Black finish to the alloys comes standard on the AMG. Sometime they add this as an option on the AMG line night packs. But I've not seen that option on the A Class as yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Black finish to the alloys comes standard on the AMG. Sometime they add this as an option on the AMG line night packs. But I've not seen that option on the A Class as yet.
Understood. Not the case with the CLA250e sadly. My only option is to pay for a set of black alloys!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Understood. Not the case with the CLA250e sadly. My only option is to pay for a set of black alloys!
What about having the wheels refurbed to replace the grey with black painted inserts? A decent alloy wheel refurber should be able to get a finish that is pretty much identical to the OEM black. Budget about £150 per corner and that would be much cheaper than buying a full set of new alloys.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
True. But it’ll be a leased vehicle so I’m not sure that’s advisable. Can always change them back I suppose!
I honestly don’t think you’d need to change them back. 99.5% of folks wouldn’t even know they had been changed in the first place...

61 - 73 of 73 Posts