Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a lot of heavy threads lately with order dates and faults, so I thought I would lighten things up a little.

This is my list of things I wish Mercedes had done on the A-Class to make it that bit better. Feel free to add things.

1. 10.5 inch drivers screen on all models. One of the selling points of the A-Class is the screens and it seems so bad, considering that the competition are all putting in digital dials that Mercedes UK chose only to add 7 inch to all the cars without out adding extras.

2. USB port behind the mirror. In this day of age with dash cams, wouldn't it have been nice for Mercedes to add a USB port to the panel behind the mirror. That way you could add a dash cam easily without having to run cables down the A-Pillar.

3. Electronic tailgate. Come on Mercedes, this comes as standard on the GLA and CLA, it is even on the saloon version, why not on the hatchback.

4. Let me set up dynamic mode and leave it. Why do I have to keep changing from comfort mode. Why give me an individual setting and then make me have to select it each time.

5. Blindspot warning as standard. I have sensors that can detect around the car, they can find a parking space for me, why must I spend more money on two little LED's to be fitted.

6. Some warning before the car slams on the brakes and throws me back into lane. Yes I know this is a safety aid, but if I am steering one way, that is the way I want to go.

7. A little tray in the centre console for my coins. My last car had a large centre console between the seats, in the top was a small tray that was ideal for putting coins in, with bigger stuff going below it.

8. A rear arm rest. Yes I know I could pay the extra and have this, but this is supposed to be a luxury manufacturer. Luxury means the mod cons not the basics and then pay extra. This is 2019 not 1980, a rear arm rest is not such a big thing and I don't know any modern cars that don't have this.

9. All year tyres. I know Hancock tyres are good tyres but I live in a country that rains for 11 months of the year and snows for the other. Where people go brown in summer from rust, so why put summer tyres on as standard.

10. The option to use my mobile phone for the data. There are many times when I cannot use all the functions on MBUX because Vodafone's poor coverage, now if I could hook up my phone, not only could I browse the internet and stream music, but it would be there to substitute when I cannot connect to Vodafone.

Last one, 11. More jokes. I am so fed up of hearing "My engineers was German" that I have started talking to Google assistant more.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is actually an option in the settings that says "Dashcam" but wont let me activate it... hopefully an update in future lets us enable this.

·
Registered
227 Posts
CarPlay/Android Auto as standard.

Option for bigger Instrumentation screen, without a bigger Entertainment screen.

Twin 7" screens (if these are to be base) should be flush and with bonded-glass.

Privacy glass/dipping rear-view mirror should be standard.

Washers on headlights.

Parking sensors (including front) should be standard.

Option of non-lowered suspension in the UK!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
senile moment ignore

·
Registered
90 Posts
I genuinely don't really have any complaints about my car (so far...) but item 10 is the one thing I would want to change. To be able to use the data from my existing mobile plan without giving Vodafone money (for what are comparatively very expensive plans) would be a real bonus.

I would have liked to be able to spec powered seats without the cost of the premium plus package (particularly as I have no interest in a sun roof) but MB aren't the only manufacturer to bundle features into packages to encourage you to spend more.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I genuinely don't really have any complaints about my car (so far...) but item 10 is the one thing I would want to change. To be able to use the data from my existing mobile plan without giving Vodafone money (for what are comparatively very expensive plans) would be a real bonus.

I would have liked to be able to spec powered seats without the cost of the premium plus package (particularly as I have no interest in a sun roof) but MB aren't the only manufacturer to bundle features into packages to encourage you to spend more.

I renewed my mobile plan just after ordering the car and decided to stay with the 30GB a month as thought this would be great for tethering. Then to find out when I get the car you cannot do it. Be damned if I am going to buy a Vodafone plan as I have to drive about 10 minutes from my house just to get the car to connect!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I renewed my mobile plan just after ordering the car and decided to stay with the 30GB a month as thought this would be great for tethering. Then to find out when I get the car you cannot do it. Be damned if I am going to buy a Vodafone plan as I have to drive about 10 minutes from my house just to get the car to connect!
Glad it's not only me. My phone is connected from when I leave, but I have to wait for the car.

Reactions: Scotty12

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
To add to the list:

- More paint colour options.
- On the A35, the option to have a half-way house styling pack that doesn't include the full rear spoiler and the flicks on the front corners.
- Ability to change the MBUX activation word from "Mercedes"or "hey Mercedes", to something of your own choosing.
- Ability to link MBUX to Amazon Alexa as a skill so you can issues commands from MBUX to Alexa and vice versa.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Whilst I think the two large screens look good together, I find that the right hand third of the left screen is obscured by the steering wheel and drivers hand. I think the two screens should be split and the left one moved more to the centre.

As the car already has built in front cameras, surely it would be easy to link these up to a memory card to record video and be used as a dash cam.

The white vanity light above the visor looks awful against the all black roof lining. I just see it in the top of my vision whilst I'm driving. It should be black.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To add to the list:

- On the A35, the option to have a half-way house styling pack that doesn't include the full rear spoiler and the flicks on the front corners.
- Ability to change the MBUX activation word from "Mercedes"or "hey Mercedes", to something of your own choosing.
- Ability to link MBUX to Amazon Alexa as a skill so you can issues commands from MBUX to Alexa and vice versa.
I thought you could spec the A35 without the spoiler.

As to the MBUX activation word, how a bit of personification. It knows your name so when you start the car it could say "Good morning [Name], how are you today." or "Hi [Name], would you like some music on your journey today". You could have some good names you could set, it could say "Good afternoon driving god".

·
Registered
215 Posts
To add to the list:

"- Ability to link MBUX to Amazon Alexa as a skill so you can issues commands from MBUX to Alexa and vice versa." - It's possible!

I've been experimenting, there are few commands. I think it's only possible to lock the car, but not open it.
All of Alexa's features will depend on the ME services it has hired.

·
Registered
70 Posts
All good suggestions.

So excluding the AMG 35.

Regular A Class should have HUD and Heated Steering Wheel.

Miss the Powered Tailgate.

With the above three I was seriously considering contacting MB about these, then wondered how far I'd get.

As far as all of this phone connectivity I'm lost. Bluetooth works so we just leave it at that. Our last car had SOS and a call service centre who would help us, Hey Mercedes seems to double up for this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is actually an option in the settings that says "Dashcam" but wont let me activate it... hopefully an update in future lets us enable this.
Having a look at the brochure for the new CLA Coupe on the Mercedes website. The new CLA has the same interior as the A-Class and the Premium pack includes Augmented Reality and Dash CAM. So I wonder if this could be a software update? It does mention that a Micro SD card is required - I don't get my A-Class until next week - but is there space for one?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All good suggestions.

So excluding the AMG 35.

Regular A Class should have HUD and Heated Steering Wheel.

Miss the Powered Tailgate.

With the above three I was seriously considering contacting MB about these, then wondered how far I'd get.

As far as all of this phone connectivity I'm lost. Bluetooth works so we just leave it at that. Our last car had SOS and a call service centre who would help us, Hey Mercedes seems to double up for this.
The A-Class has SOS and a call service centre. If you have an accident involving the deployment of the airbag or the belt tensioners, crash sensors in the vehicle will automatically trigger an emergency call. Your vehicle's communication module automatically connects you with the Mercedes-Benz emergency response centre. As it does so, the system passes on your precise position and the number of occupants in the vehicle, as well as information about the condition of your vehicle. In serious cases the emergency call data are passed immediately to a public European emergency response centre so that the necessary rescue operation can be initiated as quickly as possible. You also have a button above your head that you can press. Next to it is a button for the Mercedes me connect Concierge Service which can help you make purchases using your credit card, make reservations, or send navigation to the MBUX

Reactions: Cosmos B
1 - 20 of 33 Posts