1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expected starting price £35,000
UK due date Autumn 2020
Range 250 miles (expected)

Mercedes’ expansion plans for its EQ sub-brand – which features only electric vehicles – includes the EQA hatchback. This will be the smallest model in the lineup and is expected to come with around 300hp, four-wheel-drive and the ability to charge using up to 110kW power supplies.

Mercedes will be hoping the EQA is appealing enough to tempt buyers away from the Volkswagen ID.3 and Citroen C4 EV, and if it looks anything like the Concept car it is allegedly based on, it could well do so on futuristic looks alone.

Source: Best new electric cars coming soon

So what do you think?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more pics of the concept

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And some more...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not saying I don't like the looks, but I see previous generation SEAT proportions in the side profile of the EQA.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that’s disappointing 😩

·
Registered
558 Posts
Bah … beat me to bursting the bubble Maxim, I don't sign in or post at work.

I've been following the GLA and EQA ,as I've developed a liking for them that is uncharacteristic of my disdain for crossovers. This could be my next car.

Here's a recent render from AutoExpress

Reactions: AThirtyFive

·
Registered
42 Posts
I loved the concept and waited, saw the likely reality which was tall and SUV'ish disappointing, considered an A250e and now have an A200 which so far has ticked all the boxes.

Maybe in 5 years time the battery technology will be better and more compact so we can have the concept proportions and we might have a national charging infrastructure to better support electric vehicles.

·
Registered
443 Posts
When you say charging infrastructure, I also think of charging technology. If it still takes 30 mins to part charge a car and you count the number of cars through a garage every 30 mins, that's the number of charging points you need or you will get a queue. People think "Oh I've got 30 mins I'll go for a coffee" and don't come back for 45 mins, will that charging point still be tied up. Then there is queuing it's self, which charging point is going to come free first. So we might have to a team of charging point attendants and up goes the price, add in the taxes the government might need to replace fuel duty...
Hey who are you calling a grumpy old man?
Sorry have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree
Bah … beat me to bursting the bubble Maxim, I don't sign in or post at work.

I've been following the GLA and EQA ,as I've developed a liking for them that is uncharacteristic of my disdain for crossovers. This could be my next car.

Here's a recent render from AutoExpress

View attachment 5497
This render looks more like a production car. At least it's inoffensive, but I can't say inspiring or desirable from a looks PoV. But I'm sure it will be competent. Such a let down though...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you say charging infrastructure, I also think of charging technology. If it still takes 30 mins to part charge a car and you count the number of cars through a garage every 30 mins, that's the number of charging points you need or you will get a queue. People think "Oh I've got 30 mins I'll go for a coffee" and don't come back for 45 mins, will that charging point still be tied up. Then there is queuing it's self, which charging point is going to come free first. So we might have to a team of charging point attendants and up goes the price, add in the taxes the government might need to replace fuel duty...
Sorry have a nice day.
For me personally, having an EV with a real world range of 200 miles would probably suffice for 95% of my journeys. So I'd only really need to use public charging infrastructure on the occasional long journeys. I also like the sound of schemes whereby your lease allows you access to other types of vehicle when needed. So for example, I could have my own ~200 mile range EV, but should I want to go on a driving holiday around Europe I can arrange for my car to be swapped for a longer range car of some description. Or should I need to ferry my daughter down to Uni, then I could swap for a large estate or even a mini-van. Or perhaps should the good lady and I want to go away for the weekend, we could swap for a 2 seater sports car.

With that said, charging at home each night works for me as I have a private driveway, but I can certainly see how charging infrastructure will be more critical to those living in apartments or on roads with no off street parking.

I think the EV revolution will bring a lot of innovation to the ownership model, but right now we are all trying to relate the EV ownership experience to that which is well established for ICE cars.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@AThirtyFive, interesting I had not heard of the schemes you describe.
I think it's mainly conceptual at this stage, but I have heard of a scheme that Porsche are trialling in the US. Essentially you could lease a 911, but if you need to carry more passengers for a road trip you can drive to your Porsche Centre and swap your 911 for a Cayenne for a few days. I seem to recall Volvo is planning something similar.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@AThirtyFive, interesting I had not heard of the schemes you describe.
Nissan have recently launched one in Texas: Nissan launches a subscription service starting at $699 a month

You could have a Leaf one day, they a GT-R the next. I must admit, I didn't really see the point of it until I read AThirtyFive's post. You could definitely imagine 'subscribing' to a Mercedes package where you could drive an A or C Class for 90% of the time, then swapping for an E Class estate for a holiday in the UK, then to a SLK for a Summer countryside drive, etc.

Whether it would be worth the cost is another issue entirely.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think it's mainly conceptual at this stage, but I have heard of a scheme that Porsche are trialling in the US. Essentially you could lease a 911, but if you need to carry more passengers for a road trip you can drive to your Porsche Centre and swap your 911 for a Cayenne for a few days. I seem to recall Volvo is planning something similar.
Mercedes is also already doing that, but only in Germany for now.

It's called Flexperience: Mercedes me Flexperience

The A-Class Category (A-Class, B, CLA, GLA, GLB) costs around 600€ per month. It's a relatively hefty price for now, but it's a great solution for people who want the flexibility and none of all the trouble of registering a car, taxes, service, changing tires etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mercedes is also already doing that, but only in Germany for now.

It's called Flexperience: Mercedes me Flexperience

The A-Class Category (A-Class, B, CLA, GLA, GLB) costs around 600€ per month. It's a relatively hefty price for now, but it's a great solution for people who want the flexibility and none of all the trouble of registering a car, taxes, service, changing tires etc.
Oh I didn't know that - definitely an interesting concept.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry have a nice day.
The charging infrastructure for electric vehicles does need improvement, but usage is different to petrol/diesel. Electric charging points will be accessible at homes, offices, supermarkets, shopping centres, cinemas, public car parks, etc. So there are more opportunities to charge when you’re not using the vehicle anyway, and we will reduce visits to service stations instead of having to queue for a charging point.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.