Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Now I know I am a died in the wool petrol head and still miss the smell of petrol in modern cars and the pops and bangs from the un-burnt fuel in SU carbs on overrun so I'm probably the last person to comment on EV's BUT ......

I did have a C class Hybrid thingy for a few days recently and was surprised how much I liked the electric driving experience but the down side I found was having to plug the dam thing in every day and I only had it for a week. Before this I had sort of imagined that you plugged in a nice flexible 13 amp extension lead to the car but it turns out it is a very large heavy inflexible dirty cable and a big heavy dirty transformer as well, there was no bag to put it in and nowhere to store it in the car so it just had to be thrown in the back leaving little room for the supermarket run. Now I know we could get over the storage bag bit and you could carry a pair of gloves to keep your hand clean but you can't stop the rain so you are likely to get wet and dirty on a regular basis.

Obviously whether you are prepared to put up with these disadvantages to drive electric is a personal one, for me though I'm not really worried by the cost of motoring and although I would like to save the planet I'm happy to let younger people do this as they will get more benefit from it than me 🤣 but I might be tempted when we have wireless charging on the drive way, now that surely has to be the way to go. Until then though it would have to be a self charging Hybrid if I was to be tempted to go EV at all.

Just as a sub note I read an interesting article recently that pointed out that in China, because their electricity generating is still coal or oil powered, electric cars there are less green than their petrol equivalents 😱

·
Registered
497 Posts
Manufacture of current generation batteries is still a very un-green affair, with some of the materials only available in China. That fact alone might make some hesitate in the headlong rush towards electric cars. For me, I tend to go on a touring holiday every year, so unless I limit myself to accommodation that facilitates charging, it really isn't feasible.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.