Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Key tips;
1. Maximise coasting & regen braking. Use Electric Mode and put the car into D+ when travelling at a constant speed, then when approaching a junction (or any other reason to slow down), lift off the accelerator, let it coast for a while, then use the paddles to gradually increase the amount of regen force - think if it like going down through the gears to slow it down. Aim to only press the brake peddle for the last 7-8mph when the regen fades out.
2. Minimise cabin heating. Heating uses a lot of power, so stick a hat on or a coat when its colder. I always keep the AC on, but just cycle the fans between off and 1 to keep the windows from misting up. Use the seat heaters to keep warm.
3. Use the ECO Display. Toggle through the displays (I think its under Trip) and keep the ECO display open to better understand how gentle or aggressive your acceleration is. You can also look at the instant consumption/efficiency reading to monitor your driving - to achieve 40 miles from a single charge, you need to be around 4m/kWh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got A250e company car. I was not present when it was delivered.
I am no car person and I am really struggling on how to use it for best economy.
Drive 12 miles to work. Don't understand what mode I should use.
Currently awaiting home charger. No charging facility at work. 4 hours charge on three pin is giving me approx 55%. That is saying 20 to 22 miles but in reality I set of to work and only have 3 or 4 miles left on arrival
What mode should I be using. Can I alter things to improve that figure.
I am not a gadget man and don't understand how to do the basics, too many bells and whistles. Main reason I got it was the reduction in benefit in kind.
Any basic advice warmly welcomed.

·
Registered
349 Posts
When the trip is only going to require electric - stick it in EL mode. Ideally, you then want to control the level of regen using the paddles as you drive too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It is regenerative braking - the motor acts as a generator to slow the car down instead of the normal disc brakes being used.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This might be a silly question, but does anyone know if I use D - - to slow the car down, do the brake lights come on, even though I’m not touching the brake pedal? The D - - does slow the car quite dramatically.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great. Thanks for the reply. Only had the car two weeks but I live at the bottom of a steep hill, so use the regen coming down and was worried about people following me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, returned to this forum after a few years away and have had my A250e for two months now.

Just a quick question to get peoples thoughts on, what is the best driving mode to use to get the most out of the battery? Eco, comfort or something else?

At the moment with offices closed i'm just driving short distances so have it on Eco mode and getting around 33miles at 100%. Should i be using a better setting? Also when offices open i'll be doing more like 120 miles a day (60 each way with charging at both ends) mainly on motorways. What will be the best mode to use in order to get the most out of the battery? Given it's M25 i think getting to 70mph will be ambitious...

·
Registered
349 Posts
If your trip is within the electric range, then put it in EL. If its over the electric range, then everyone seems to have a different take - personally I find Eco best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got our a250e this morning. Went the a250e AMG Exec in digital white. Most of the trips will be fairly local. Maybe Exeter and back, which is around a 40 mile round trip, so should mostly be on electric. But what about longer journeys? Say 160 miles? What would be the best mode to run it in to get the best mpg? 1st 40 miles on electric and then let the engine take over for the rest? Or is there a mode that uses both electric + engine to achieve really good figures for the whole journey?

Sorry if I sound like a noob. I am :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got our a250e this morning. Went the a250e AMG Exec in digital white. Most of the trips will be fairly local. Maybe Exeter and back, which is around a 40 mile round trip, so should mostly be on electric. But what about longer journeys? Say 160 miles? What would be the best mode to run it in to get the best mpg? 1st 40 miles on electric and then let the engine take over for the rest? Or is there a mode that uses both electric + engine to achieve really good figures for the whole journey?

For longer journeys, stick the destination in your sat nav (even if you know the way 😂) and put your car in ECO or Comfort. Over 160 miles I'd expect to get around 70 miles on electric if it's mostly motorway.

just keep your eye on the electric range on the dash. I usually switch it to EL manually to use the last bit of charge. Say if I'm 20 miles from home and have 25 miles range I'll switch it manually.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Just so happens I did 163 miles today and my guess was pretty much spot on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For longer journeys, stick the destination in your sat nav (even if you know the way 😂) and put your car in ECO or Comfort. Over 160 miles I'd expect to get around 70 miles on electric if it's mostly motorway.

just keep your eye on the electric range on the dash. I usually switch it to EL manually to use the last bit of charge. Say if I'm 20 miles from home and have 25 miles range I'll switch it manually.
If you cant charge when you get to a destination, put the return trip in to the sat navigation as well, and it will save the battery for the return trip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did a bit of a longer trip than usual today of 65 mile round trip. I put the trip in sat nav and set off in eco mode. The car seemed to just use all the electric first and only used the engine a couple of times when I went up steep hills. It had then pretty much used up all the battery about 15 miles from home. Is this how it's supposed to do it. Trip details below.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
How do you set up a return trip in sat nav?
Drive away from your house and then set home as your destination. Then add a new one of where you are heading. It should save battery for your way home. I'm a mobile engineer working in schools, I do that for every trip

1 - 20 of 22 Posts