Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear trunk noise every single time I take a major street bump.

I took the manufacturer's tools and the first aid kit out of the trunk but the trunk noise is still there.

It looks like it is the trunk inside floor lid that covers the subwoofer that is causing this noise by jumpping up and down ion major steet bump.

The trunk floor lid is not maintained in place by anything. I was thinking of adding velcro to fix it in place.

Just wondering if any of you guys had the same issue and how to resolve it.

·
Administrator
5,237 Posts
See

Could be one or more of anything, including
Boot floor
Parcel Shelf (hatch)
Spoiler
Number plate holder
Etc

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had exact the same problem with my new 250e. It also made some noise when making a sudden steering movement.
My first visit at my dealer they told me to take my corners slower because the road is not a racetrack??? -> Problem not solved
My second visit they thought they discovered the problem and replaced the whole right suspension at the back. -> Problem not solved
At my third visit they finally found the problem. They forgot to mount the floor in the trunk from the factory. HAHA! A new suspension while all they needed were some new bolts and 5 minutes...

Maybe have a look at this? it was the whole floor that was loose, but it never looked loose (we all looked at it several times because i was suspecting this might have been the problem), it weights quite a lot and fits perfectly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for you email. I have a service visit scheduled early January 2022.

I love the car but this trunk noise is making my life miserable... It happens all the time on more important bumps in the road.

If this is normal for a $60,000+ car, I will certainly make a car change in the near future.

My only other complaint is that the A35 is underpowered by approx 20 HP compared to other competitors but I certainly can live with that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too had a rattle. It was the parcel shelf. Thought it was fitted properly in the groves but found out that after giving it a slight thump in it actually clicked in. Worth a try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How would you describe the rattle? I do have rattles in the boot/rear. But its fairly easy to say the rattles are leaning more towards metallic vibrations. Nothing like plastic rattles/vibrations. Is that what you are facing too or is it something else?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How would you describe the rattle? I do have rattles in the boot/rear. But its fairly easy to say the rattles are leaning more towards metallic vibrations. Nothing like plastic rattles/vibrations. Is that what you are facing too or is it something else?
On sharp bumps in the road, It's like something is loose in the trunk and jumping up/down. Like something is nots propely fixed in the trunk.

I sincerely hope my the dealer can fix this upon my next visit as this is not something I can live with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue, the noise was driving me crazy. I removed everything from the trunk, changed the license plate holder to no avail. That's when I realized it was the trunk lid itself from being loose once closed. I adjusted (extended) the rubber bumpers to tighten the trunk lid. no more noise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same issue, the noise was driving me crazy. I removed everything from the trunk, changed the license plate holder to no avail. That's when I realized it was the trunk lid itself from being loose once closed. I adjusted (extended) the rubber bumpers to tighten the trunk lid. no more noise.
How did you extend the rubber bumpers? You mean the two plastic things right? On left side and right side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How did you extend the rubber bumpers? You mean the two plastic things right? On left side and right side.
Yes with 3mm allen key to loosen it. Then you just pull the rubber. Tighten the allen screw again and you are good to go. Recommend to take pictures or mark the positions just in case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
For the benefit of all.

Issue: Trunk noise upon sharp bumps that I cannot live with. Thought it would need a boot (trunk) adjustment (maybe a botched PDI).

Service visit 1/7/2022: Dealer finds that issue is due to defective rear shock absorbers... on a 6 month old / 4,000 km car...

Bad news: rear shock absorbers are back order for 20 days... So will have to live with this major rattle issue several months more it seems.

I still love the car (if they resolve that major trunk rattle by replacing the rear shock absorbers).

Issues so far on this 6 month old car (took delivery on 8/18/2021):

1. Engine belt disengaged upon almost no accelation at all - replaced by dealer in November 2021
2. Initial boot rattle (since delivery) caused by defective shock absorbers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After 4 months of backorder, the dealer finally received replacement rear shocks to try to solve the boot noise on sharp bumps issue.

Dealer replaced the rear shocks on April 12. Work order says they did make a road test.

Still have the same noise on sharp bumps in the boot. It is not a light issue, first time I see this in a car and I have had a lot of them.

Not sure what to do. I am kind of desperate to resolve this issue as it is really an important one and I can't live with this car for the next 3 years like that.

All suggestions welcomed.

·
Premium Member
A35 Premium Plus
165 Posts
@Bert

I feel your pain and there are other threads on this very topic. My car had exactly the same problem as yours and I managed to resolve the issue.

My noise was actually the hatch lid rattling rather than any suspension issue. After reading another thread on here, a fellow member suggested trying 5mm thick x 15mm round, rubber stick on rubber discs. These are normally sold as furniture feet, but bear with me.

1) Buy a pack of said discs, very cheap.
2) Lift the hatch and look at where the hatch meets the car body, just inside the rear light.
3) You will see rubber stops on the hatch itself, look at where these stops meet the car body.
4) Stick a rubber disc in the contact area on the car body itself.

This applies a little amount of pressure between the boot lid and the car and stops the cluncking.

Good look.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried the above mentioned solution with no success.

So I scheduled a service appointement at the dealer to resolve the boot noise issue last monday.

Both the mechanic and shop manager present in the car with me during a road test clearly heard the noise and said they would look into resolving this situation.

Dealer had my car for 4 days, at the end of whcih, they called me to confirmed they did not find anything and could not resolved the boot noise upon sharp bumps.

They said they did the same road test with another AMG A35 and heard the same noise upon sharp bumps.

So final conclusion on the work order: the noise is due to structural design of the rear suspension and cannot be resolved.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I always buy a thick rubber boot floor mat. I believe the one I bought off ebay was named 'Gledring' or something. Its very good quality and for a small price it will add a liquid spill protective layer as well as, possibly eliminating your issue. These cars are now very poorly put together for the premium price we pay. I've got to be honest, my 2016 VW Golf GTI was much better with the build quality than my current A35 AMG.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts