Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 45s for a couple of months now and having pottered about for 6 weeks getting the mileage up just over two weeks ago I took it off to Spain on an tour of sine of the best roads in Europe.

Over 8 days and almost 3000 miles in the company of some pretty exotic stuff it proved to be an absolutely brilliant little car for touring. It’s surprisingly fast in a straight line, exceptionally quick point to point and genuinely good fun to drive. On the mountainous and lower friction stuff it was magnificent, with cornering grip and relative small size such that it was possibly the quickest car in the company of several super cars in that particular environment. Above all else it was real fun to drive, so much more engaging than the previous generation I tried once.

I’ve been lucky enough to have several AMGs, all V8s plus a few other fast dailies and I was taking a bit of a gamble when I bought this one. i was worried it might not feel like a “proper AMG”. I now realise I shouldn’t have worried, it really is a very special little car and I totally get the vast majority of reviews have been so positive.

it also attracted a lot of positive attention from the various car spotters who followed us around and while it’s a massive chavmobile to look at thats all part of the fun. I love the way it looks and just before we left I had a few cosmetic additions done, grille, badges, spacers and brakes.

One thing I did find out is that under hard driving these are very thirsty beasts - mpg in the teens meant fuel stops came around twice a day.

Here she is alongside my weekend toy that also came with us - tellingly both me and my mate who I do this with thought the 45 was almost as much fun and actually preferable for some of the parts we did

And here is the group all pictured together

·
Registered
83 Posts
This car really makes me happy driving it, especially in S+ and some brisk driving. Combination of the short 8 speed gearing, ease of driving it quickly, the pops and crackle (non GPF car) and how it behaves when you apply throttle around a corner. Absolutely lovely!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Had my 45s for a couple of months now and having pottered about for 6 weeks getting the mileage up just over two weeks ago I took it off to Spain on an tour of sine of the best roads in Europe.

Over 8 days and almost 3000 miles in the company of some pretty exotic stuff it proved to be an absolutely brilliant little car for touring. It’s surprisingly fast in a straight line, exceptionally quick point to point and genuinely good fun to drive. On the mountainous and lower friction stuff it was magnificent, with cornering grip and relative small size such that it was possibly the quickest car in the company of several super cars in that particular environment. Above all else it was real fun to drive, so much more engaging than the previous generation I tried once.

I’ve been lucky enough to have several AMGs, all V8s plus a few other fast dailies and I was taking a bit of a gamble when I bought this one. i was worried it might not feel like a “proper AMG”. I now realise I shouldn’t have worried, it really is a very special little car and I totally get the vast majority of reviews have been so positive.

it also attracted a lot of positive attention from the various car spotters who followed us around and while it’s a massive chavmobile to look at thats all part of the fun. I love the way it looks and just before we left I had a few cosmetic additions done, grille, badges, spacers and brakes.
Looks really great with the modifications. May I ask if you painted the brake calipers yellow? Or just had them changed to yellow to match? I also like the “S” badge with in yellow. I have the same car and felt that there was a disconnect between the AMG yellow highlights in the interior....and the red brake calipers on the exterior. They should MATCH in my opinion. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[
Looks really great with the modifications. May I ask if you painted the brake calipers yellow? Or just had them changed to yellow to match? I also like the “S” badge with in yellow. I have the same car and felt that there was a disconnect between the AMG yellow highlights in the interior....and the red brake calipers on the exterior. They should MATCH in my opinion. Thanks.
hi there

I agree 100% about matching and have the yellow interior too.

To your question I had them painted by a third party using OEM paint. The yellow badge is a vinyl infill. The only bit missing is the “+” on the side badges which is still red but very tricky to change. It triggers my ocd a bit so I try not to look at it !

·
Registered
156 Posts
[

hi there

To your question I had them painted by a third party using OEM paint. The yellow badge is a vinyl infill. The only bit missing is the “+” on the side badges which is still red but very tricky to change. It triggers my ocd a bit so I try not to look at it !
Thanks for the follow up. Did they manage to repaint on the AMG logos too? I have debadged the two wings of my car to make the lines cleaner and to be honest, I don’t feel there is anything special about having the word TURBO on the side of a car these days - every second machine out there is turbocharged! 😂. I’m going to look into a good workshop locally to repaint my calipers to match the yellow. I would have preferred that the AMG A45S came with the red highlights interior package instead of yellow, but it wasn’t an option to change that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks mean! Can you post some more pics of the front grille? I was thinking of blacking mine out but was in two minds. I've just blacked out the side and back badges + de-chromed the door handles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
[

hi there

Was the Vinyl infill for your S Badge made for you or can these be purchased somewhere? Cheers

·
3,312 Posts

View attachment 6587

View attachment 6588

One thing I did find out is that under hard driving these are very thirsty beasts - mpg in the teens meant fuel stops came around twice a day.

Here she is alongside my weekend toy that also came with us - tellingly both me and my mate who I do this with thought the 45 was almost as much fun and actually preferable for some of the parts we did

View attachment 6589

View attachment 6591

I didn't get a chance to read your post until now as I wanted to read the whole thing.

I have now had my A45s for 7 months and just over 4K miles on the clock and if anything it just keeps growing on me especially it's deft handling in the drenched conditions since late September. The way it just steers straight and true through the small streams on motorways and B roads really makes for a confident driving experience. And yes the mpg is no better than my previous A45. AMG need to install a much bigger fuel tank in the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the follow up. Did they manage to repaint on the AMG logos too? I have debadged the two wings of my car to make the lines cleaner and to be honest, I don’t feel there is anything special about having the word TURBO on the side of a car these days - every second machine out there is turbocharged! 😂. I’m going to look into a good workshop locally to repaint my calipers to match the yellow. I would have preferred that the AMG A45S came with the red highlights interior package instead of yellow, but it wasn’t an option to change that.
Agreed on all fronts, interestingly the guys who did them said that they were loathe to take them off as they would leave. residue that needed polishing and they flew that would dull the mango paint. I would happily take them off.

Yes brakes have AMG logos front and rear - will get some pics when the car is cleaner

Looks mean! Can you post some more pics of the front grille? I was thinking of blacking mine out but was in two minds. I've just blacked out the side and back badges + de-chromed the door handles.
Will dig some out - sadly it's now chipped to high heaven after a week of hooning around behind supercars with massive tyres chucking up stones and will need a touch up !!

Some on my insta @robinho21

Was the Vinyl infill for your S Badge made for you or can these be purchased somewhere? Cheers
Hello - this was done bespoke for me by the guys at Urban Automotive who did the work

I didn't get a chance to read your post until now as I wanted to read the whole thing.

I have now had my A45s for 7 months and just over 4K miles on the clock and if anything it just keeps growing on me especially it's deft handling in the drenched conditions since late September. The way it just steers straight and true through the small streams on motorways and B roads really makes for a confident driving experience. And yes the mpg is no better than my previous A45. AMG need to install a much bigger fuel tank in the car.
Agreed ! This is a bit of a 4wd AMG problem as my E63S had a similarly disproportionately small tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
Good luck with the touching up. I have same colour and was sure you cant treat stone chips. If you can I will be interested to know how you do it 👍

·
Super Moderator
2,897 Posts
Good luck with the touching up. I have same colour and was sure you cant treat stone chips. If you can I will be interested to know how you do it 👍

Chipex?

662 code on the Chipex site seems to give the correct colour:

·
Super Moderator
2,897 Posts
I tested mine (not Matte Mountain Grey) in an inconspicuous area, the door hinge which you can see when the door is open, but not when the door is shut. Good match for me.

I tend to fill in the stone chips with the end of a toothpick, and blend/polish it later.

Let us know what the match of your matte paint is like!

·
Registered
2020 A45S+ in Digital White
13 Posts

View attachment 6587

View attachment 6588

View attachment 6589

View attachment 6591
Just discovered this thread. Sweeet! Your wheels look flush with the bodywork, do you have spacers on? :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
[

hi there

1 - 20 of 25 Posts