Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, So my car has come upto 13k miles now and my front tyre tread are now on the legal limit :/ (1.6mm)

But my back tyres are 5mm so i'm just going to swap front and back around for now then get new set of tyres when they're all quite worn out.

I just wanted to know if the car will show the correct tyre pressures on the on-board computer?

Like when i change the back to front, will it show the pressures for the back tyres on the front wheels on the computer? Or is the car clever enough to know?

·
Registered
80 Posts
On every tyre pressure monitoring system I've had in the past, each sensor is set up to be a specific wheel - I wouldn't expect Mercedes to be any different - and if your tyres are on the legal limit, I'd get them changed now, not swap them around, especially with winter coming.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi guys, So my car has come upto 13k miles now and my front tyre tread are now on the legal limit :/ (1.6mm)

But my back tyres are 5mm so i'm just going to swap front and back around for now then get new set of tyres when they're all quite worn out.

I just wanted to know if the car will show the correct tyre pressures on the on-board computer?

Like when i change the back to front, will it show the pressures for the back tyres on the front wheels on the computer? Or is the car clever enough to know?
Your tyres will still be on the legal limit, but just on the back wheels.... I would get them changed if I were you. Why spend all this money on a car but can’t afford new tyres?

·
Registered
127 Posts
How is the car that smart? Or the sensors are smart figuring this out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
How is the car that smart? Or the sensors are smart figuring this out?

See previous thread:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I stand corrected :) However, my other advice still stands - if you have tyres on the legal limit, get them changed for new tyres ASAP especially with winter coming where worn tyres like that can affect the handling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I stand corrected :) However, my other advice still stands - if you have tyres on the legal limit, get them changed for new tyres ASAP especially with winter coming where worn tyres like that can affect the handling.
The better tyres should always be on the rear of a car, whether it is front or rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Why is that? I thought best tires should always go front (on a front wheel drive).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
48 Posts
The TPMS sensor for this car is actually built into the ABS sensor. Hence why it doesn’t give you a PSI reading. Some cars have an actual valve sensor for each tire - but not this model. Moving tires around has zero effect. Just make sure to reset the system after you’ve swapped them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Arise, to answer your question, best tyres on the back to stop the car spinning round mainly on a corner, you do not want a tail end breakaway.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The TPMS sensor for this car is actually built into the ABS sensor. Hence why it doesn’t give you a PSI reading. Some cars have an actual valve sensor for each tire - but not this model. Moving tires around has zero effect. Just make sure to reset the system after you’ve swapped them.
Are you sure? The Mercedes Me app and the dashboard both give actual tyre pressures in PSI on my car. (A177 Premium).

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Even if it gave a reading in vulcan atmospheres nothing stops software converting it to psi. I have psi for my in-car and app readings too.

·
Read Only
48 Posts
The TPMS sensor is not in the ABS sensor, it is fitted into the tyre valve. Amazon have them for sale.

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Maybe it’s different by country? When I pull up the Mercedes me app i don’t see the PSI number, I just see “-“ for all 4 tires. The dealer told me it’s part of the ABS sensor, same as my 2019 CLA. I just replaced two tires recently (CLA) and there was no sensor visible. Now I’m confused - lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
There are 2 variants of TPMS

Indirect - uses the ABS sensors to monitor individual wheel revolutions, and reports when one or more wheels varies beyond a certain wheelspeed window (eg when punctured). This variant does not display any pressure as it does not measure pressure.

Direct - uses pressure transducers fixed to the tyre valves, and transmits the pressures via RF to individual receivers in the wheel arches. This variant displays pressures on MBUX and/or other internal display in the car.

Previous Thread:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you everyone for your comments. I think resetting the pressures would be the best thing for now. I have my car booked at mercedes next monday so will ask them about it.

And yes i know i need to change my tyres asap, i will be doing this in my service which is coming up very soon.

Does anybody have any recommendations for nice performance tyres? Currently i will be going for Michellin Pilot Sport 4. I have the standard AMG line alloys you get on all UK models (5 twin spokes 18")

1 - 20 of 32 Posts