Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Yes. In Canada my 2020 A250 uses the ABS sensor as I suspected. I had the tires changed and there were no wheel sensor present. Just the typical air valve. :))

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Does anybody have any recommendations for nice performance tyres? Currently i will be going for Michellin Pilot Sport 4. I have the standard AMG line alloys you get on all UK models (5 twin spokes 18")
Michelin PS4 or PS4S are some of the best tyres out there so you won’t go wrong selecting those. Always keep the same brand/model of tyre on each axel if the only real rule, although I also like to keep the same brand/model of tyres on all four corners whenever I can. My A35 is a lease car and came with PS4S’ from factory. I hope Leaseplan don’t kick up a stink about me wanting to use PS4S’ as replacements when the time comes...

·
Registered
93 Posts
PS4 are superb and will acquit themselves well on track too if you manage pressures correctly (reduce).
For the lease guys - you can sometimes pull some clever tyre rotation with a non stagger car.
Remember it only has to have > 1.6mm on each and be legal at hand back.
If you time it right you can save loads of dosh.
Got over 75k on an E220 and used just the one original set in two years ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Are we not meant to rotate our wheels front to back in order to even out tyre wear on these vehicles?

This is a practice I have always carried out, so that I can have my tyres wear out evenly across all four corners, allowing me to replace the whole set with fresh rubber. After doing this today, I adjusted the tyre pressures all round to the correct values and reset the TPMS system. Strangely though, its reading the tyre pressures back to front. So to further elucidate, my front are reading at 31 PSI and the rear at 38 PSI, when the actual readings are the other way round. I did take the car on a 5 minute drive, thinking the system needed to calibrate itself but to no avail. I'm left thinking that there are front only TPMS sensors and same with the rears, in which the wheels must stay in their factory locations. This seems bizarre to me on a modern monitoring system and especially when the tyres are all of the same measurements.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I found my answer to my question in the user manual:

"If the position of the wheels on the vehicle is changed, the tyre pressures may be displayed in the wrong positions for a short time. After a few minutes of driving, this is rectified and the tyre pressures are displayed in the correct positions."

·
Registered
W177 A200
76 Posts
Apologies for digging out this old thread, didn't want to start a new one.

How accurate is your TPMS?
Fuel cap says 38 PSI front, 33 PSI rear (225/40/R19)

Michelin vigil tyre pressure gauge says the same.
TPMS reports 43 front, 38 rear. Normal?

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
My TPMS figures correlate very well to my high quality PCL gauge :)

(and we like old threads being revived, don’t worry. It saves hundreds of individual threads on the same subject being splattered all over the forum. Makes searching much easier for members)

·
Registered
429 Posts

From what I understand TPMS records pressures from previous run, not real life current pressures so unless you checked the pressures as soon as you stopped it might be different.

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts

I never look at the car onboard readings. But find the MMe app numbers and what I get at the petrol station air pump to be more or less exactly the same. I find the MMe app can take a little while to update though.

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
My TPMS figures correlate very well to my high quality PCL gauge :)

(and we like old threads being revived, don’t worry. It saves hundreds of individual threads on the same subject being splattered all over the forum. Makes searching much easier for members)
I second that about using existing threads.

·
Registered
W177 A200
76 Posts
From what I understand TPMS records pressures from previous run, not real life current pressures so unless you checked the pressures as soon as you stopped it might be different.
makes sense, I measured them cold and not right after I stopped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's true for the app but the dashboard values are real time. I'm not sure if the dashboard values are only shown on AMG models (it's in the "AMG Performance" section).

21 - 32 of 32 Posts