Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, first of all sorry but I'm still inexperienced with cars so I'll try to give as much information as I think is relevant. On my Merecdes Me app (A200 W177), the back two tyres are both 30 psi, whereas the front-left is 48 and the front-right is 51 psi. Everywhere I've read seems to suggest that this is too high, despite me owning this car for a few months and not noticing any issues yet (even taken in for vehicle health checks). Inside the fuel cap suggests I should have 38 front and 33 rear tyres, however I purchased the car used so I don't know if the current tyres came when built or have been switched.

I'm a bit concerned because my tyre says that the max load is 50 psi, so I'm worried that I might be at risk or damaging the trye in some way. The tyre is 225/45R18 95Y.
For what it's worth, I haven't received any tyre pressure warnings or notifications yet.

I haven't reduced tyre pressure before, just watched youtube videos, do I need certain tools? Is it a simple process? Are my tyres at a large risk at the moment?

·
Super Moderator
3,852 Posts
@Unraveller

Firstly, don't blindly rely on the MMe App to give you the correct tyre pressures. It will report the pressures at the point when the car was last switched off, after a drive.

So if your last journey was during a hot sunny day, it will report those pressures at 6am the next morning, not the "actual" pressures in your tyres.

Best to go off a pencil-type tyre pressure gauge, or the tyre pressure monitor on your instruments. But these have to measured "cold" (before you start driving).

So - at 7am - go for a drive in your car, and look at the live pressures on your instrument panel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, first of all sorry but I'm still inexperienced with cars so I'll try to give as much information as I think is relevant. On my Merecdes Me app (A200 W177), the back two tyres are both 30 psi, whereas the front-left is 48 and the front-right is 51 psi.
Is the car new?

My A35 was delivered with the tyres overinflated, not as much as yours however. @Unraveller is correct though, you should read the pressures in the dash just after starting the car and before driving it. The A35 shows pressure and temps but I'm not sure if that's an AMG Performance feature.

Drive slowly to a petrol station or supermarket that sells fuel. Their tyre compressors are usually smart enough that if you punch in 35psi and the tyres are actually 50psi they will take air out to reduced the pressure.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Is the car new?

My A35 was delivered with the tyres overinflated, not as much as yours however. @Unraveller is correct though, you should read the pressures in the dash just after starting the car and before driving it. The A35 shows pressure and temps but I'm not sure if that's an AMG Performance feature.

Drive slowly to a petrol station or supermarket that sells fuel. Their tyre compressors are usually smart enough that if you punch in 35psi and the tyres are actually 50psi they will take air out to reduced the pressure.
In my A220 the tyre pressures are in the "Services" menu but you cant read them until you have been driving for a few minuets.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts