Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I sadly said goodbye to my a35 as I looked to capitalise on the used car price and use my other car for a while.
Just to give you some background the car at 4K miles was purchased 6 months ago for £34k from Mercedes.
The car is now due it’s expensive service, airbag light issues, new tyres, tax etc and at 10k miles with a minor curbed alloy and I just sold it back to Mercedes for 37k.
Opinions on this move and has anyone else considered selling and waiting a few months for a new purchase?
I am a bit spoiled for my next choice as the a35 was the best car I have ever owned and used car prices may stay high (one car is only worth one car)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Chris, i have just sold my VW polo Gti+ for 18.5k which what i paid for it 2 years ago. it has 18,000 on the clock and 3 wheels scuffed and a little dent on the front passenger door. I accepted the 18.5k offer from the Mercedes garage and have ended up buying an A35 premium for £39,000. I cant remember how many miles it has got on the clock as I've not received the car yet. I do realise I have bought a second hand car with an inflated price but im happy with the look and spec of the car.

for your next car id be asking myself what do i want out of the car? something quick or a more sensible family motor with good MPG. keep in mind the inflated prices as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The first time that I noticed that car prices had risen was when watching the Good Morning program on television. They give away a car and cash to the value of around £100k and they were saying that the car you could win was a Mercedes A35 which was worth £45k!
I paid just over £36k for mine in March 2019 so the value has risen by at least £9k without looking in detail at the spec of my vehicle and the one offered as a prize.

I have also looked at Auto Trader and viewed similar cars on their website and was quite shocked at the prices being shown.

I am considering selling my car to free up some cash, so I may go to my local dealer and get a valuation just to see what the value is.

Thanks for the heads up on the deal that you have been given by the dealer as it offers a good insight into the current situation.

JB :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well enjoy the car it’s the best all rounder I’ve had, be very careful as the car is allot lower that you think for an A class front and rear.
Make sure the B service has been done as it £800.00.
If it has the 19 inch alloy wheels the alloy sticks out more than the rubber, they are the best looking wheels on the market.
Took me a longer time to see the thrills of 4 wheel drive but I won’t go back to rear wheel drive now as I like being able to use all
The power all the time.

·
Registered
A200 Premium Plus
47 Posts
I just ran a check out of curiosity on my car. 4000 miles on the clock and been offered £2000 more than I paid for it new last year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Chris,

You did state that you sold it back to Mercedes in your first post?

"The car is now due it’s expensive service, airbag light issues, new tyres, tax etc and at 10k miles with a minor curbed alloy and I just sold it back to Mercedes for 37k"

Do motorway sell it to Mercedes after you have registered it for sale with them?

I just got a price for my car which came out £1000.00 more than I paid two years ago which is crazy!

Thanks!

JB :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe motorway sell it to any dealership what wants to buy it, not necessarily a Mercedes dealership. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You’re correct, they put it in an auction with dealers who have signed up to Motorway bidding for your car, my A35 premium plus just sold through them for 37k 15,000 miles and 20 months old - I made 8.5k out of the deal, crazy times.
Mine sold to Arnold Clark up in Dundee! And has gone up for £39,998!!!! I only paid 34k brand new!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hello JB

so motorway is a middle man who gets you the best price possible and then hands you over to the highest bidder.
In this case it was Mercedes, Mercedes pay motorway their fees.
According to motorway my car has gone up and other 1.5k since I sold it which is painful

·
Registered
66 Posts
Heard from a couple of friends, Audi and BMW owners, that they've been called by their dealers and offered cash + their finance paid off to get the car back due to a shortage of used cars to sell apparently.

Has anyone had this from mercedes? I got a call from the dealer about a month ago and they said it was just to see if they could tempt me to come in and see what new cars they had but I didn't bother.

·
Registered
2020 A180 Sport Exec Manual Polar White
81 Posts
Yep had a call from the dealer while mine was in for a service. Wasn't interested at the time 🙂

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
There’s already a thread about used car prices but yes they are going up due to a chip shortage and delays on new cars. My dealer has been in touch twice recently but a cannot get a car with, or better spec than I already have. Pointless ordering a new car as they can’t say when it’ll arrive and some of the features of P+ cars are being left off 🤨🤨

1 - 20 of 56 Posts