Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,826 Posts
How do you guys make sure that the person who is buying your car actually pays up. There are posts on FB where the private seller has been scammed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am preparing my A35 for sale tomorrow and using the Motorway site to put it up for sale.
I'm taking advantage of the used car prices that are very rare in the car market at the moment and I don't need to look for a replacement vehicle because I can use the Mrs Merc B class and I don't need another car now to replace my A35 because I am retiring so the offer is too good for me to miss at the moment. One car is enough if I don't have to travel to work anymore :)

I will let you know how it goes and the price I get offered ;)
Please do let us know! I'm still trying to decide. It's nice driving a merc, it looks nice and it's comfy. But it's expensive. I can afford the monthly payments, but obviously I'd be better off with that 300 in my pocket each month. Especially if a 4K car can do exactly as I need - get me to and from work, shopping etc.

It's an opportunity I don't think I want to miss. Never before have I had a car that is worth about 3-4K more 7 months after buying...

·
Super Moderator
4,826 Posts
I just did a valuation on motorway and it's now showing more than I paid for it. Strange times. The more I use it the better the price becomes 😁

Reactions: tim0806

·
Registered
2020 A200 AMG line premium plus with DAP
191 Posts
Just tried Motorway and it came in £1,400 cheaper than WBAC
When we tried to use WBAC a couple of years ago, we went through the process, honestly labeling up every single mark we could find, including one scuffed wheel, and got our quote. Next day we took it in and he says "It's got a scuffed wheel." "Yes, we said that in the online form." "Can't give you £22K, we can give you £20K." We thanked him for wasting our time, and left. If it happened right now, I would say, "No problem, we'll take £24K."

·
Super Moderator
4,826 Posts
When we tried to use WBAC a couple of years ago, we went through the process, honestly labeling up every single mark we could find, including one scuffed wheel, and got our quote. Next day we took it in and he says "It's got a scuffed wheel." "Yes, we said that in the online form." "Can't give you £22K, we can give you £20K." We thanked him for wasting our time, and left. If it happened right now, I would say, "No problem, we'll take £24K."
WBAC tried reducing my car's price down last year and I just said no and the guy in the caravan called up his boss, who was at a football match and agreed the full price I was offered. Less their admin fee and the money transfer fee - of course 😓 .

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did an online quote with them, it came in 1K less than what motorway offered. I just need to get the car cleaned and upload some pictures, and see what offers I get!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Motorway site update.

So yesterday I cleaned my car and then took pictures of it as best as I could.
Both sides of the whole of the car, front of the car, rear of the car, interior, dashboard, front seats, rear seats all four wheels.
I used their website to post the pictures and advertise my car for sale, however I need to add aditional pictures showing the tyres and tread depth so I took those today and then posted them as instructed on their website along with a brief description about the colour, the model, sat nav, leather seats, any tyre damage, locking wheel nut key, service history etc.

I completed the post and was taken to a site page that said all I needed to do now was ring them and they would begin the sale process.

"Thanks! We have received your pictures.
We need to confirm your details before we put your car for sale. Please give us a quick call to confirm your details. Our office hours are Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 7:00 pm and Saturday 9:00 am to 5:30pm."
What happens next?
Once you have spoken to our team, we can put your car for sale with our network of verified dealers. We will let you know when your car is being sold and will alert you when the sale has finished.

I rang the number displayed which just rang out for over 5 mins and then an answer message said that I could use a call back option if I pressed 1 on the phone which I did, the call back would be the same day.
About an hour later my phone rang and I recognised that it was the number shown on the Motorway site so I answered it only to hear another answerphone message saying that there was no one available to call me back today.

So they must either be very busy or do not want to sell my car. I am not very confident that this process is the right one I want to use to sell my car because I don't feel very confident that there will be anyone that I can speak to if it all goes wrong or I have any issues with the dealer that wants to buy my car etc..

I understand that this sale process is free and normally I would have to pay to advertise my car is for sale but I'm not convinced yet that it will be sold for the price that I would like.
I will leave it as it is for now and if they do call me back and go ahead then fine but if nothing happens on their behalf I will perhaps use another site like Webuyanycar etc.

I will update this post with any further developments.

JB :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the update, I've still not posted pics of mine yet. It was in for a service yesterday, so it's all clean again at the moment. I'm going to try and get photos this weekend and see what happens

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have not heard anything from Motorway yet and I have emailed them again but so far got no response whatsoever.
I'm not sure if I have made an error anywhere when submitting the photo's and description of my car but the site tells me that I have completed the process and I can see the photo's that I uploaded on the site but there is no communication at all so I am at a loss as to what happens next because you can't contact anyone about the issue. No one responds to the phone number and no one replies to emails.

Maybe you will have better luck than I have had when you add your vehicle.
I woiuld be interested to know how you did it and any tips you may have for a successful submission.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For information purposes and a little more insight into what Motorway are all about, I found some customer reviews on Trustpilot after a simple Google search.
The vast majority of them are Great or Good reviews but the Poor and Bad reviews explain the issues that I have had:-

Check out the reviews for an informed decision.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the link. On the whole, very positive reviews. It seems that sometimes the dealer buying will haggle down on the price when they turn up to collect the car... seems a bit cheeky really since they buy the car in an auction. It would be interesting to know where you stand when that happens

·
Super Moderator
4,826 Posts
The other thing that getting a quote from motorway generates are emails from Liz. Although I did respond to say I just wanted a quote only.

It's interesting that they have a Great Portland Street office address, where I once worked. Quite an expensive location:

Motorway Online Ltd.
2nd Floor, Tennyson House
159-165 Great Portland St.
London, W1W 5PA

·
Super Moderator
407 Posts
I have used Motorway in the past and they had very good communications - I guess they are just VERY busy right now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had an email today from Motorway asking for more details about my vehicle.

Here are the questions that they have requested to be answered which were not visible/accessible on their website:-

To complete your bespoke profile, could you please answer the questions detailed below;

Initial Details;

What is your house name or number (this is for collection purposes only.)

Are you the owner of the vehicle?

Do you need it to be collected by a certain date?

Has the car ever been written off or stolen?

Is the car advertised anywhere else? If yes, we recommend you remove any other adverts as it can deter dealers from placing offers on your vehicle.

Do you have proof of service history?

Has the vehicle ever been used for private hire or driving instruction?

Has the car ever had accident repairs?

Does the vehicle have any of the following;

Sat Nav
Heated seats
Panoramic roof
Parking Camera
Upgraded Sound System (If yes, please can you provide the make)

Is there any additional specification that you would like us to add to the profile?

What is the interior colour?

What fabric are the seats?

Documentation;

What is the current mileage on the vehicle?

You have owned the vehicle since _?

There are __ previous owners?

Last MOT date?

Do you have the V5 logbook and who's name is it in?

Do you have the book pack (owner's manual) and two keys for the car?

Is the vehicle on a private plate? If yes, will this be put on retention? What will the original plate be?

Is the car on finance? If so, what is the finance settlement figure?
Do you have available funds to clear any negative equity
When the dealer is clearing the finance, it can take up to 48 hours to clear with the finance company but you will be provided with proof that the finance has been paid.

Service History;

How many main dealer or independent dealer services has the vehicle had?

What was the date and mileage of the last service?

Has the cambelt been changed? If so, can you please confirm the date and mileage?

Condition and Damage;

Are there any scratches, scuffs or paint imperfections on the exterior of the car? (if yes add a short description of the size of imperfection and area of the car that is affected if not already added)

Are there any missing lights, mirrors or trim? (trim relates to things like covers on wing mirrors, interior upholstery imperfections or missing buttons)

Are there any warning lights showing on the dashboard?

Are there any scratches or chips on the windscreen?

Are there any mechanical or electrical faults?

Wheels and Tyres;

How many alloys are scuffed?

Are there any tyre problems?

Do you have the locking wheel nut and tool pack for the vehicle?

If you find any other imperfections please let me know as the price we get in our daily sale will be based on this information being accurate, any extra imperfections not noted may result in the sale falling through and any additional costs being recouped.

I have answered the questions and also requested that I be kept more informed of the developments and that my car has been listed for sale correctly so that I know where I am up to with the process going forward so we will see what happens next.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for all that detail! I didn't get around to getting photos at the weekend, and now there's bird crap all over it so I'll have to wash it again!

Does anyone know if there is any sort of guaranteed minimum amount the car will be sold for? It would be just my luck mine would sell under value!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts