Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all (first post here, I think this is the right forum!),

I’m starting a new job in April which requires a lot more driving than I do at the moment. I currently own a 2009 Mk6 Golf, but this falls short on age, mileage, condition and emissions criteria to use for work, so need to look into a new car...

I have my eye on a ~1 year old W177. My budget is around £20k. My ‘must haves’ are the dual 10.25” screens, CarPlay, and auto-dimming mirrors. I’m ambivalent about things like interior lighting and keyless entry. Just have a few questions I was hoping some existing owners could answer:

• Am I right in thinking that I should be looking at an A Class with the ‘Premium’ package for the screens? I presume these will also have CarPlay (I’m a bit confused about all the smartphone connectivity packages/executive packages - were these combined at some point?)
  • Are there any other options I should look out for (I‘ve read a little bit about the Driving Assistance package which sounds like a great ‘nice to have’, but seems really hard to find on second hand models)?
  • Is there anything I should look for specifically when on a test drive? Any common faults?
  • Are the Sport and AMG Line models only different cosmetically? I like the look of the AMG Line but wouldn’t be a deal-breaker.
  • Has anything changed between 2018 and 2019? Any specific cutoff date I should be looking at?
Seems to be quite a few Sport Premium and AMG Line Premium 18/68 plate A Classes for sale for around 20-22k which would be within budget.

Any help would be appreciated, hope I can post here as an owner in the near future :D

EDIT: doh, forgot to say I’m only looking at A180d (automatic) models as anything else doesn’t meet work’s emissions criteria and want diesel for the fuel economy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi all (first post here, I think this is the right forum!),

I’m starting a new job in April which requires a lot more driving than I do at the moment. I currently own a 2009 Mk6 Golf, but this falls short on age, mileage, condition and emissions criteria to use for work, so need to look into a new car...

I have my eye on a ~1 year old W177. My budget is around £20k. My ‘must haves’ are the dual 10.25” screens, CarPlay, and auto-dimming mirrors. I’m ambivalent about things like interior lighting and keyless entry. Just have a few questions I was hoping some existing owners could answer:

• Am I right in thinking that I should be looking at an A Class with the ‘Premium’ package for the screens? I presume these will also have CarPlay (I’m a bit confused about all the smartphone connectivity packages/executive packages - were these combined at some point?)
  • Are there any other options I should look out for (I‘ve read a little bit about the Driving Assistance package which sounds like a great ‘nice to have’, but seems really hard to find on second hand models)?
  • Is there anything I should look for specifically when on a test drive? Any common faults?
  • Are the Sport and AMG Line models only different cosmetically? I like the look of the AMG Line but wouldn’t be a deal-breaker.
  • Has anything changed between 2018 and 2019? Any specific cutoff date I should be looking at?
Seems to be quite a few Sport Premium and AMG Line Premium 18/68 plate A Classes for sale for around 20-22k which would be within budget.

Any help would be appreciated, hope I can post here as an owner in the near future :D

EDIT: doh, forgot to say I’m only looking at A180d (automatic) models as anything else doesn’t meet work’s emissions criteria and want diesel for the fuel economy.
Yes the premium package includes both 10.25 inch screens and the ambient lighting but apple car play is a separate package which is difficult to find. But you can buy it for around £300 roughly from the Mercedes store down the line. But if the pack comes with the car it’s called the advanced smartphone pack and it has a wireless charger for you phone too. The packs have now been combined but that happened in Demember 2019 so late 69/20 cars, if one of them falls into your budget.

The driver assistance package is very cool but super hard to find but you might find one with the advanced nav which is an augmented reality sat nav. But you want apple car play Id assume you’d use the maps off there so this might be useless.

Test drive i’m not sure maybe someone else can help on that.

The AMG Line to sport is mainly cosmetic but I believe the suspension is slight stiffer on the AMG line to make it feel more sporty.

The main change I know about is some of the 2019 cars have tinted rear windows from factory where the 2018s dont. Not all 2019s have it as it came out mid way threw the 19 plate but all the 69s should have it.

Hope that helped

·
Registered
381 Posts
For the test drive, make sure you are happy with the auto gearbox. Some users on here have reported significant delay in response from the box when setting off from standstill. I have an auto A200 (AMG Premium, June 2018) and don’t have any issues with it. Also listen out for any interior rattles during the drive.
The AMG line doesn’t have firmer suspension, but it does have independent rear suspension as supposed to a torsion beam on some models. They also changed this recently, and I believe, but not sure, that the independent version is now only found on the A250 and up.
Carplay isn’t wireless or full screen, with no news on when - if ever - it will be introduced. I don’t miss it personally: I can connect the phone for music via Bluetooth, control it via the MBUX buttons/touch pads/screen and use the car’s own satnav. I also have advanced nav.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd get out for a drive in an A180d and a A200d, emissions are very very similar. The box in the A180d was significantly inferior to the A200d when we were driving them, making the choice of the bigger engine a simple decision.

The A180d suffered with the wheel spin issue off the line too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They also changed this recently, and I believe, but not sure, that the independent version is now only found on the A250 and up.
Looking at the MB A-Class Brochures for Jan 2019 and Dec 2019 the rear suspension option was the same.
All AMG Line have Multi-Link EXCEPT for the 180d
The SE and Sport model lines and 180d AMG Line have Torsion Beam.

I have recently ordered an A200 AMG Line and option U55 Multi-Link axle is definitely specified.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I picked up almost exactly what you after for 20K just after christmas and other than a couple of niggles with a camera error, i'm very happy. I bagged a pre-reg 68 plate A180d Auto Sport premium (with augmented nav) with 98 miles on the clock for £20K. Absolutely mint condition as expected and since it has the premium pack, the only useful thing i'm missing is the multi beam LEDs. I initially wanted the A200 but i couldn't justify the extra expense of the car and insurance. I had a C200 premium the other day and i know it's a different car but it made me realise the extra power is absolutely unnecessary if you're mainly using it for work / commuting.

The car isn't perfect and the wheel spin can be a bit annoying but for a 1.5 Diesel, it's not bad at all off the line. I'm very happy with what i got for the money, it's extremely economical too, 64.3 mpg on a 2 hour trip the other day apparently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the help, it’s much appreciated!

I looked into a A200d but it’s just a little out of my price range (also I’m early twenties and the larger engine still sends the insurance shooting up...) - I’ve driven a W176 A160 petrol which people also seem to complain about being a bit jerky off the line, but it seemed fine especially when disengaging hold first before pulling away (as opposed to going straight from hold to the gas). Not sure if this is similar to the current A180d.

The reason I would like CarPlay is I use Spotify and Waze extensively in my Golf and don’t think there are native MBUX equivalents? Please correct me if I’m wrong. The 7” limitation on it is annoying but not a deal breaker. (I wouldn’t really mind the 7” screens themselves, but just think they look so cheap as they are recessed compared to the 10” ones.)

Trying to sort out a test drive as a few 68 plate A180d AMG Premiums have just come in to my local MB main dealer. Need to see if the financials make sense - work offer a 118d 1 Series as a company car, but I really dislike the new 1 Series styling (plus the A Class interior seems far better). Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks all for the help, it’s much appreciated!

I looked into a A200d but it’s just a little out of my price range (also I’m early twenties and the larger engine still sends the insurance shooting up...) - I’ve driven a W176 A160 petrol which people also seem to complain about being a bit jerky off the line, but it seemed fine especially when disengaging hold first before pulling away (as opposed to going straight from hold to the gas). Not sure if this is similar to the current A180d.

The reason I would like CarPlay is I use Spotify and Waze extensively in my Golf and don’t think there are native MBUX equivalents? Please correct me if I’m wrong. The 7” limitation on it is annoying but not a deal breaker. (I wouldn’t really mind the 7” screens themselves, but just think they look so cheap as they are recessed compared to the 10” ones.)

Trying to sort out a test drive as a few 68 plate A180d AMG Premiums have just come in to my local MB main dealer. Need to see if the financials make sense - work offer a 118d 1 Series as a company car, but I really dislike the new 1 Series styling (plus the A Class interior seems far better). Fingers crossed.
You're correct, there's no native Spotify or waze but I've come from a W176 with android auto and I'm certainly not missing Google maps, I can also play music via Bluetooth so it hasn't been too bad. If android auto filled the whole screen, I might add the £300 option, unfortunately it doesn't though.

The dual 7" screens would have been a deal breaker for me, they look absolutely shocking and ruin the entire look of the interior. Admittedly the executive pack increases the size of the centre screen and then the instrument cluster screen isn't actually recessed, still looks crap though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There currently a decent deal on Drive the Deal's special offers page if you can push towards 22k.

Downsides is its manual and amg executive so you wouldnt have the dual 10" screens (only the media screen is 10" with the other being 7").

I was tempted with it but I really wanted an automatic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There currently a decent deal on Drive the Deal's special offers page if you can push towards 22k.

Downsides is its manual and amg executive so you wouldnt have the dual 10" screens (only the media screen is 10" with the other being 7").

I was tempted with it but I really wanted an automatic.
Yeah I've had my fun thrashing a manual car around and just want something a bit easier to drive when commuting, so an automatic is a high priority. Got my eye on a couple of low mileage ones but I'm not starting until April so have a little bit of time to sort it out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
For the test drive, make sure you are happy with the auto gearbox. Some users on here have reported significant delay in response from the box when setting off from standstill. I have an auto A200 (AMG Premium, June 2018) and don’t have any issues with it. Also listen out for any interior rattles during the drive.
The AMG line doesn’t have firmer suspension, but it does have independent rear suspension as supposed to a torsion beam on some models. They also changed this recently, and I believe, but not sure, that the independent version is now only found on the A250 and up.
Carplay isn’t wireless or full screen, with no news on when - if ever - it will be introduced. I don’t miss it personally: I can connect the phone for music via Bluetooth, control it via the MBUX buttons/touch pads/screen and use the car’s own satnav. I also have advanced nav.
The AMG line comes with 10mm lower suspension & only the A200 AMG Line onwards have independent rear suspension. The A180 doesn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice everyone, just put down the deposit on a 68 plate A180d AMG Line Premium. Picking it up next week. Excited is an understatement :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts