Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an A35 which has now covered 1,500 miles.
After about 800 miles a rattle developed from the rear - Sounds like the tailgate.
I have used the adjusters to sponge the tailgate whilst driving but to no avail. I've also padded the plastic trims where the parcel shelf rests but this hasn't made a difference either. Bits under the boot floor like the 12v air pump etc. are all foam wrapped.
It used to only be over cracks in the road when the car would 'jump' - not over lumps in the road or on cambers etc. - Now though, it seems more frequent.
Any ideas what it may be?
Thanks in advance!
Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
After about 800 miles a rattle developed from the rear - Sounds like the tailgate.
I have used the adjusters to sponge the tailgate whilst driving but to no avail. I've also padded the plastic trims where the parcel shelf rests but this hasn't made a difference either. Bits under the boot floor like the 12v air pump etc. are all foam wrapped.
It used to only be over cracks in the road when the car would 'jump' - not over lumps in the road or on cambers etc. - Now though, it seems more frequent.
Thanks in advance!
Tom
Soooo annoying. I have a minor rattle from the dash, around the steering column area which is driving me mad. I'm just running the car in before I take it to MB in case it develops anything else.

You mention that you have checked the parcel shelf rests, so if it sounds like it is coming from that sort of area have you checked it's not the seatbelt clips against the nylon side bolsters? Sounds obvious but unless the belts are plugged in they can cause a slight rattle?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
3 days and ~300 miles into my ownership and:

1) Have noticed a rattle coming from the rear. Appears to be coming from around the passenger c-pillar area
2) A faint buzzing from the drivers side door card when playing music (not loud either)
3) A knocking from under the car when idling. Sounds like it might be the exhaust vibrating/knocking on the underside

All of the above have only been experienced on the occasion, not all the time. Just waiting to see if they clear up themselves before booking in to Mercedes. Not the best start to be honest...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Found one thing so far and a daft oversight. The manuals and wallet are too heavy for the frame stowage in the top of the glove box and can occasionally make it buzz against the interior lining on rough road surfaces.

Found the source by unlatching the stowage. It needs some kind of foam insulating medium on top to prevent it vibrating against the lining.

The glove box could also do with a soft lining inside to prevent hard objects from vibrating. My W176 had a felt type glove box lining all round. And a pen stowage. But the manual and wallet didn't fit inside. First world swings and roundabouts eh?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had my A35 now for almost four weeks. On the second day the switch panel in the roof dropped down. Clipped it back up but dropped down when closing doors. MB fixed this one immediately when I dropped by on the third day. Well then the rattles and buzzing started. One (or more) from the dashboard and the right seat belt upper mount buzzing like an annoying mosquito. Booked in to MB who fixed the following problems.
1) Air duct insecure - refitted.
2) Rattle from Heads up display - fixed.
3) Rattle from B pillar due to clip vibration - fixed with tape.
My dealer was very good and gave me a loan car for a couple of days. I think they found the problems on the first day but took it for a bumpy second drive to make absolutely sure all was well. Car seemed OK on the drive home so I'm hoping that's the end of it. Only another 400 miles to go running in then Sports plus here we come!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had one rattle so far (only had the car a day!) coming from the rear. It was a box containing the wheel nuts and locking nut key which was just loose under the boot floor. I've removed the box and just put the key in a recess wrapped up in rubber. Never had spare wheel nuts with a car before ...!

·
Super Moderator
2,244 Posts
I've had one rattle so far (only had the car a day!) coming from the rear. It was a box containing the wheel nuts and locking nut key which was just loose under the boot floor. I've removed the box and just put the key in a recess wrapped up in rubber. Never had spare wheel nuts with a car before ...!
Those are the bolts/nuts that they remove, when fitting the locking set at the dealership!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a matching A35 to yours with what sounds to be the exact same issue. I thought it might be the boot latch rattling as the lid wasn’t tight when it’s closed. It’s been to MB who claim they thought it was fixed but it isn’t. Did you ever get a resolution to this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The rear rattle is the boot latch locking mechanism and nothing else.

You can adjust the locking mechanism left/right or up/down to get the tailgate to latch more "tightly". This requires removal of the black plastic trim.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
Same problem with my A35. Tailgate latch rattling. Any idea how to fix it? It seems that I cannot move the locking mechanism since the holes are fixed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Soooo annoying. I have a minor rattle from the dash, around the steering column area which is driving me mad. I'm just running the car in before I take it to MB in case it develops anything else.
I found the exact same in my A180 a month or two after I first got it. sounded like plastic rattling as though something hadn’t been secured properly. It’s either now stopped completely or I just don’t notice it anymore. Did you take yours into MB?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I had a rattle coming from the tailgate until this week. Turns out it was the black plastic number plate holder. The dealer removed this and screwed the number plate into the tailgate and voila the rattle has gone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My A250 has something rattling too. It sounds like some plastics rattling just outside the driver side door. It happens when driving just over 100kms/h.

·
Registered
96 Posts
1) Have noticed a rattle coming from the rear. Appears to be coming from around the passenger c-pillar area
Did you get this fixed? I have a similar problem and have tracked it down to the rear seat back rest on the passenger side.
If I drop the backrest down, the rattle goes away. It's not the seat belt rattling, nor is it the backrest rattling against the parcel shelf.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Did you get this fixed? I have a similar problem and have tracked it down to the rear seat back rest on the passenger side.
If I drop the backrest down, the rattle goes away. It's not the seat belt rattling, nor is it the backrest rattling against the parcel shelf.
That rattle seemed to have resolved itself, I didn't do anything to fix it, and neither did the dealer. Sorry I can't offer anymore advice...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for replying. I have identified a temporary fix - I used blue-tac to stick a piece of soft packing material a few millimeters thick to the plastic trim that the outer seat back edge rests against when in the upright position. This seems to have done the trick, and there are now no rattles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My A250 has something rattling too. It sounds like some plastics rattling just outside the driver side door. It happens when driving just over 100kms/h.
A180d AMG P+. I have a very similar rattle, which only occurs at high speeds and comes from driver door, did you find the source?

·
Registered
47 Posts
No not yet, this week it will go to the dealer to have it looked at. I would guess it are the door rubbers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A180d AMG P+. I have a very similar rattle, which only occurs at high speeds and comes from driver door, did you find the source?
Got my car back from the dealer. First few days it looked like the rattling was solved but couldn't drive it long at higher speeds due to traffic. But this evening I had some free space on the roads and the rattling is still there. :cautious:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks in advance!
Tom
Hi i have the same rattle from the back of the car plus the dash rattles and the spoiler is coming off not good .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts