·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #187

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Good post.

To buy a Porsche with a Golf R engine, not even it's own unique engine seems difficult to justify for so much more. Hence my buying the A45s.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Good post.

To buy a Porsche with a Golf R engine, not even it's own unique engine seems difficult to justify for so much more. Hence my buying the A45s.
To be fair, the Porsche 4 pot isn't a VW 4 pot. It's a flat 4 configuration. It's a good engine viewed in isolation but compared to Porsche's flat 6 units, particularly the NA versions, it lacks character and misses out of one of the main features of Porsche ownership - the sound. Anyway, the main point is it's not a patch on the A45S power unit...

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Yes I agree. But they are part of VW who also make Skoda. Although a 911 is a different matter.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
That steering wheel shift on our A45s' are a potential problem. I am sure many of us use the indicator button at the end of the arm to use the front wipers just once and for the screen wash. But if we are half asleep in the mornings or any other time and while driving push the gear lever park button, thinking we are about to use the wipers, I wonder if we'll end the car up in intensive care.

veeight you are the man to know. Will the gear lever park button if pressed while the car is moving just be smart enough to do nothing.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You mean you haven't tried for yourself? :p

At 30mph, it does nothing, the software intervenes and tells you not to be so stupid.

However, at say 3mph, if you do press it while the car is still moving, it drops in a mechanical park pawl in the gearbox, and it will feel like you're gonna go through the front windscreen! :D

I don't know at what speed it transitions between letting you put it into Park, and telling you not to be so stupid!
Someone else can try it at 6mph!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
You tried it in the name of science at 3 mph. It had occurred to me anyway about the gearbox lever and indicator stalk potential mix up but I actually nearly did it this morning at around 20 mph as my thoughts were elsewhere.

181 - 200 of 250 Posts