Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

341 - 360 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Of course, when the A45s has pissed on every single one of its direct competitors like the RS3 and M2, what's there left to do? Oh I know! Put it up against BMW M's flagship! That's like putting the M2 up against AMG GT. Come to think about it, the M2 would suck, like totally.

Let's talk about the race, shall we? The A45s lost but put up a good fight, considering the massive power-to-weight difference. Even the fact that the almighty M flagship needed its AWD to pull out the win, there is nothing more to say. I dunno how many youtube viewers realize that the result actually compliments the A45s, probably not many. Well, I'm sorry to break it to you BMW fanboys I really am, but your £121,000 flagship was smoked in RWD mode. Let that sink in.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Of course, when the A45s has pissed on every single one of its direct competitors like the RS3 and M2, what's there left to do? Oh I know! Put it up against BMW M's flagship! That's like putting the M2 up against AMG GT. Come to think about it, the M2 would suck, like totally.

Let's talk about the race, shall we? The A45s lost but put up a good fight, considering the massive power-to-weight difference. Even the fact that the almighty M flagship needed its AWD to pull out the win, there is nothing more to say. I dunno how many youtube viewers realize that the result actually compliments the A45s, probably not many. Well, I'm sorry to break it to you BMW fanboys I really am, but your £121,000 flagship was smoked in RWD mode. Let that sink in.
Just wow 😆

·
Registered
MB A250 4M W177
227 Posts
Even the fact that the almighty M flagship needed its AWD to pull out the win, there is nothing more to say. I dunno how many youtube viewers realize that the result actually compliments the A45s, probably not many. Well, I'm sorry to break it to you BMW fanboys I really am, but your £121,000 flagship was smoked in RWD mode. Let that sink in.
Dont praise a45s or other car in such comparisons ( AWD vs RWD ), cause we could cut front wheels on a45s and put a car with awd ( will be good even mine A250 4M or A35 ) on same conditions ( was awful for RWD ) and awd will win easily this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It won't win easily, it won't win at all. The M2 which is RWD does the 1/4 mile in high 12's, and when you put AWD aside, it's pretty much neck and neck with the A45s which was proven in the second rolling race they did at carwow (the one they did without kickdown between these two cars along with RS3 and Golf R). That being said, pretty sure a RWD version of the A45s would do high 12's as well. The A35 does it in mid 13's so it would still lose by a few car lengths. Chances are the A45s would reel it in about halfway along the dragstrip and would easily pull away. The A250 does it in mid to high 14's btw.

Hey I'm with you, AWD vs RWD vs FWD, apples and oranges. That race was pretty much pointless except, that was a clear example of David vs Goliath, where big Goliath couldn't reel little David in, even though he's the one with the muscle. That was the whole point of their first race, see if the M8 had the power to reel it in, which it didn't. And it didn't, because little David has big fat balls.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
The problem the M8 comp had in RWD mode was too much power which it couldn’t put down. I suspect it was still wheel spinning in 3rd or even 4th gear. It wasn’t a lack of power that prevented it catching up with the A45S before the end of the 1/4 mile, it was lack of traction. I’m not a BMW fan boy (last time I looked I was driving a Merc) but come on, let’s be realistic about the results. Any car with 400bhp+ driving 2 wheels is going to struggle to put down all the power from a standing start, the same would be true of the A45s if the rear axle was disconnected from the drivetrain for example. Result would be lots of wheelspin or the traction control would just bog down the engine.

·
Registered
MB A250 4M W177
227 Posts
Beside all, this M8 is awesome car for its price, power and traction with electronics..but for me who dont like big cars and 3 doors ( ex car was 3d so it was pain in the ass to park in small places to open this freaking long doors ) wouldnt buy ( even if got money which aint now :p ) and just stick something like C class cars like A Class/A3/1series or Gulf :D
They should disconnect rear wheels in A45s getting it FWD and compare to RWD, would look as interesting comparison

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
As I said the A45s needs a tune, my wife would call it pointless, so I just cut out the middle man and not discuss it and then have to ignore her. It would be on a par with the M8 stock which would still cost £70K more and not have as usable back seat space.

The A45s is an enthusiasts car otherwise we could also consider it pointless getting anything above an A180.

·
Registered
MB A250 4M W177
227 Posts
A45s is my dream car :D 😁 Porsche's are still 2seats :(, suv's do not even consider as a daily car, and just came this a45s which is freakin or fcking woow :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
The problem the M8 comp had in RWD mode was too much power which it couldn’t put down. I suspect it was still wheel spinning in 3rd or even 4th gear. It wasn’t a lack of power that prevented it catching up with the A45S before the end of the 1/4 mile, it was lack of traction. I’m not a BMW fan boy (last time I looked I was driving a Merc) but come on, let’s be realistic about the results. Any car with 400bhp+ driving 2 wheels is going to struggle to put down all the power from a standing start, the same would be true of the A45s if the rear axle was disconnected from the drivetrain for example. Result would be lots of wheelspin or the traction control would just bog down the engine.
I have yet to see a 2-ton RWD car spin the entire 1/4 mile. He did get grip eventually and Matt stopped pulling away for a few seconds, but still couldn't reel him in, he even said he couldn't because the A45s was really quick. 1/2 mile would be a different story no doubt, but what that run shows is it wasn't as easy as some of the idiots on youtube would think. Have you read through the comments? Needless to say most of these morons don't even have a car. When you read comments such as "the engine will last a month" because it's only a 2 liter and makes 421hp, you realize they know nothing about engines. I bet if you start talking to them about forged internals they'll leave the chat. Hence why I never reply on youtube.

It's also incredible that just a tune is all this little car needs to give these cars a run for their money. I mean like when was the last time we saw a 2 liter hatchback this capable to only need a tune to be on par with such cars? And as far as I know it's also the heaviest. Never before is the answer.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
I have yet to see a 2-ton RWD car spin the entire 1/4 mile. He did get grip eventually and Matt stopped pulling away for a few seconds, but still couldn't reel him in, he even said he couldn't because the A45s was really quick. 1/2 mile would be a different story no doubt, but what that run shows is it wasn't as easy as some of the idiots on youtube would think. Have you read through the comments? Needless to say most of these morons don't even have a car. When you read comments such as "the engine will last a month" because it's only a 2 liter and makes 421hp, you realize they know nothing about engines. I bet if you start talking to them about forged internals they'll leave the chat. Hence why I never reply on youtube.

It's also incredible that just a tune is all this little car needs to give these cars a run for their money. I mean like when was the last time we saw a 2 liter hatchback this capable to only need a tune to be on par with such cars? And as far as I know it's also the heaviest. Never before is the answer.
You could be right about a tuned A45S giving a stock Goliath a real run for its money, but then we haven’t seen that just yet so it’s only theoretical for the moment at least. But as has been said already, as you tune your A45S to 500 or even close to 600bhp, Goliath just goes and tunes his/her M8 to 850bhp so any advantage is cancelled out. It’s an arms race that can only have 1 drag race winner and it’s not the 4 pot I’m afraid.

Your argument that the M8 didn’t have the power to haul the A45S in is completely debunked by the fact that when 4WD was turned back on and the traction deficit was gone, the M8 easily won the drag race. It didn’t all of a sudden gain a massive power increase going from 2WD to 4WD.

I’m going to stop now because I sound like I’m a BMW fan boy, when I actually don’t even like the M8. It’s too big (for UK roads) and I don’t like the styling. But credit where credits due it’s flipping fast.

Reactions: veeeight

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
One of the nice things about this AMG forum over the years, is that it's been relatively AMG fanboy free....... ;)

Unlike certain Audi and BMW forums, whose owners would blindly refuse to accept that their cars had any flaws of any sort, or that they were the best thing since sliced bread. Period.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
One of the nice things about this AMG forum over the years, is that it's been relatively AMG fanboy free....... ;)

Unlike certain Audi and BMW forums, whose owners would blindly refuse to accept that their cars had any flaws of any sort, or that they were the best thing since sliced bread. Period.
I think you’re missing the point AI @veeeight.

Explain why you got that pointless tune on your A45.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I'm not missing any point, merely contributing an observation about fan-boyism :)
I entirely agree with that point. Explain your thinking about the tune you had. 🤔

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
All modifications have pros and cons. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

In my particular case, it enabled some plusses in drivability and speed, and some minus's in other areas. But why in this thread? Why not start a thread about tuning!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Exactly I am about to. I was waiting on Brabus but they have been late.
;)

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Reactions: steve_3939
341 - 360 of 386 Posts