Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

361 - 375 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
A tuned RS3 is a pretty nippy car
Yeah but it's got a 2.5 liter 5 cyl engine, it's not surprising to be this fast with a tune. Surprising is that both cars make more or less the same power with a tune and if anything, the smaller engine gets the credit. Though not as surprising either as I suspect they've fitted a pretty large turbo for a stock 4 cyl engine, maybe comparable in size to a gtx 2871r. Been looking for turbo specs for quite a while.

You could be right about a tuned A45S giving a stock Goliath a real run for its money, but then we haven’t seen that just yet so it’s only theoretical for the moment at least. But as has been said already, as you tune your A45S to 500 or even close to 600bhp, Goliath just goes and tunes his/her M8 to 850bhp so any advantage is cancelled out. It’s an arms race that can only have 1 drag race winner and it’s not the 4 pot I’m afraid.

Your argument that the M8 didn’t have the power to haul the A45S in is completely debunked by the fact that when 4WD was turned back on and the traction deficit was gone, the M8 easily won the drag race. It didn’t all of a sudden gain a massive power increase going from 2WD to 4WD.

I’m going to stop now because I sound like I’m a BMW fan boy, when I actually don’t even like the M8. It’s too big (for UK roads) and I don’t like the styling. But credit where credits due it’s flipping fast.
Ok, good talk. I wasn't going to reply but for the record, I gotta say this. I don't disagree with the M8 being a much faster car. If anything, it does the 1/4 in 11" probably even high 10s and the A45s in 12" or high 11s at best. We're looking at a whole second difference which is a lot. And how couldn't it be, when it would require to have about 515hp to match its power-to-weight. Then you have torque, gearing and drag coefficient, but without matching power-to-weight or at least getting close, there's nothing to talk about. A strong tune would put it fairly close to that. I think you believe I disagree but I never did. I just stressed the fact that it wasn't as easy as some morons on youtube would think. If I had jumped straight to comments without watching the video, I would've thought the RWD M8 had smoked the A45s. I was merely replying to them. You should read the comments. Though some of them are pretty funny, I give them that.

I'm not a MB fanboy either, for two reasons. One, haven't had enough time, I just joined the MB family, this is my first MB car. Two, it's not my fastest car and it'll never be, it can't be. I didn't buy it for its performance, I bought it because, GT aside, to me it's by far the nicest looking AMG. Got nice and high quality interior. I also liked the fact that it's currently the fastest hot hatch and the most powerful 4 cyl in the world, things that make it stand out. And it's practical. Icing on the cake, it's one of the rarest cars in the country. Wish it came to the States, I'd gladly buy another one. Though still not a fanboy. Can't promise I won't be in a year or two, but right now I'm not.

Styling is another thing we agree on, except I've always found BMWs ugly. Very few exceptions. The M2 Competition is pretty, though the A45s is prettier.

Reactions: AThirtyFive

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The A45s had way too much grip compared to the other two hence on a bone dry track it lost time due to understeer and the driver’s insistence on manual changes instead of leaving it in race.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The A45s had way to much grip compared to the other two hence on a bone dry track it lost time due to understeer and the driver’s insistence on manual changes instead of leaving it in race.
he Is a rear wheel drive man suits his style of driving

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Just noticed the M2 is €95K, 718 is €82K and the A45s is a pocket change snip at €62K. People can waste their money if they want to but I've put money on my choice of car.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Has there somebody on the forum put a front down pipe on there car yet ??
there all making to order why don’t they make a big batch and ready for sale

·
Registered
MB A250 4M W177
213 Posts
The A45s had way too much grip compared to the other two hence on a bone dry track it lost time due to understeer and the driver’s insistence on manual changes instead of leaving it in race.
M2 was on manual changes too so it was not the case.
Guy was "pro" but slided/drifted too much/many times with M2 and Porsh which caused Porsch so weak time.
Tires are in here, where those 3 are almost equal, the most crucial but i read PTR are better than MPSC2
Tyres: PP0 is not semi slick as MPSC2/PTR. We dont know if those tires was brand new

M2CS: 450/550
A45s: 421/500
Results with those two is obvious without test track.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This test has a good laptime comparison of the A45s vs the M2CS and Cayman 718 GT4!

Hockenheim Lap Times:
1) Cayman GT4 : 1:55.0
2) A45s : 1:55.7
3) M2CS: 155:8

The A45s was running with the optional Pirelli Trofeo R rubbers. Some very good tips as well on how to drive the A45s fast on the track in the article below. (turn on Google translate as article is in German)

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/test/mercedes-amg-a-45-s-4matic-nordschleife/

361 - 375 of 375 Posts