Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

601 - 612 of 612 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
What a flipping joke. I won't spoil it for others but it's the reason I no longer watch TG, also because I can't understand what the lead presenter on it is saying most of the time 🤣

Reactions: NeedAJobby

·
Super Moderator
3,142 Posts
The Yaris literally is the best thing since sliced bread for 2021. Absolute rave reviews on how it drives. :)

Old but true: The fastest car in a straight line isn’t necessarily the most rewarding car to drive :)

(that’s why many of us chose the previous A45 over the faster RS3)

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
I'd certainly trade in my A45s for one. Not.

Reactions: NeedAJobby

·
Registered
19 Posts
Brilliant little car, an enthusiast neighbour has one. The first 1000 in Aus were sold for AU$40k, for reference the A45s is about AU$100k. It is the performance bargain of the last few years. To compare the GR to an A45s is stupid though. Kind of like how its tupid to compare the A45s to a Porsche 911 as they did locally.

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
There certainly are a lot of good reviews for the Yaris. It's speed limited to 142 mph for some reason. But as you say it's strange comparing it to the A45s.

Reactions: Sixman

·
Registered
169 Posts
Personally I don't see what the fuss is about with the Yaris,looks **** on the outside,looks even worse on the inside,and it's claim to fame,oh yeah it has a manual gearbox,how groundbreaking.

I'm sure that there are a load of YouTubers who are being offered them at silly prices as it is very convenient that so many seem to own one of the very first run,and they all seem to think it's great.

I think most of it is just hype,let's be honest the format is nothing really new,we'll apart from maybe using a 3 cylinder lump,yet the way people are talking is like nothing like it has ever been seen before.
It was the same with the new Supra,everyone was raving about it at first and every YouTuber had one on early order too.

Just touching on the manual gearbox thing.
I have been driving performance cars with manual gearboxes since the mid 1990's,such as Cosworths ,Evo's and such like,but I can honestly say I don't feel I am missing out smacking my left leg up and down like I'm trying to stomp out a lit *** that's been dropped on the carpet.
All I ever seem to hear is that you are not a PROPER driver/not a DRIVERS car unless you drive a manual? Really!
Now all of a sudden 25+ years of performance car driving has gone out the window apparently and I can no longer drive properly because I pull a padle instead of pushing a pedal,WTF.

I'd actually argue that driving a DCT is more fun on the twisties as you can keep you foot down in the bends and carry far more speed as you aren't having to let off to change gear,which can unsettle the car.

What's other people's thoughts on the subject?

·
Super Moderator
3,142 Posts
In the modern melange of hot hatches, it is hard to find a car that really rewards driver inputs and feedbacks instantly. .

Sometimes you just get hot hatches that are superb to drive on a B road, rewards your every input, and punishes you when you don’t get it quite right. One that springs to mind immediately is the Fiesta ST. You just can’t stop smiling when you’re wringing it on a damp B road. It really is an absolute peach.

As good as the A45s is, in reality it is a little detached and a bit clinical. Steering is slightly numb and isn’t the last word on feedback. You can feel it’s weight as you hustle it round tight bends. Fine if that’s what you are OK with because other features of the car are more important, but it certainly isn’t the most involving car. It is, after all, based on the humble A-Class (Yaris GR is on its own bespoke chassis, so no compromises).

I suspect with the Yaris, they have got something right about the driving experience and dynamics. Its 1280kg with 257bhp, it will be agile and nimble. I reserve judgement until I’ve actually driven one.

·
Super Moderator
1,752 Posts
Personally I don't see what the fuss is about with the Yaris,looks **** on the outside,looks even worse on the inside,and it's claim to fame,oh yeah it has a manual gearbox,how groundbreaking.

I'm sure that there are a load of YouTubers who are being offered them at silly prices as it is very convenient that so many seem to own one of the very first run,and they all seem to think it's great.

I think most of it is just hype,let's be honest the format is nothing really new,we'll apart from maybe using a 3 cylinder lump,yet the way people are talking is like nothing like it has ever been seen before.
It was the same with the new Supra,everyone was raving about it at first and every YouTuber had one on early order too.

Just touching on the manual gearbox thing.
I have been driving performance cars with manual gearboxes since the mid 1990's,such as Cosworths ,Evo's and such like,but I can honestly say I don't feel I am missing out smacking my left leg up and down like I'm trying to stomp out a lit *** that's been dropped on the carpet.
All I ever seem to hear is that you are not a PROPER driver/not a DRIVERS car unless you drive a manual? Really!
Now all of a sudden 25+ years of performance car driving has gone out the window apparently and I can no longer drive properly because I pull a padle instead of pushing a pedal,WTF.

I'd actually argue that driving a DCT is more fun on the twisties as you can keep you foot down in the bends and carry far more speed as you aren't having to let off to change gear,which can unsettle the car.

What's other people's thoughts on the subject?
100% agree with you. After 2 Golf R DSG’s and my previous FL 45 I wouldn’t go back to a manual gearbox, especially when driving in stop/start traffic.

Reactions: TTG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Theres no perfect car, just depends what compromises you are willing to live with - price, out-right speed, handling, transmission etc.
I have driven the Yaris, brilliant little car. Being a 3 door completely impractical for me though.
The whole transmission debate is a bit pointless, kind of like arguing redhead or brunette. Proclomations of only manual is a drivers car or conversely 30 yrs of driving manual and now DCT is far better are worthless. It will be an individual preference and often will come down to the car. Hey, if the A45s came in a manual I would have jumped all over it.
The point of the Yaris GR is that it whips all its price point competitors and makes the value of more expensive cars questionable. The engineering in it at its pricepoint is remarkable - much like the A45s at its pricepoint.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Theres no perfect car, just depends what compromises you are willing to live with - price, out-right speed, handling, transmission etc.
I have driven the Yaris, brilliant little car. Being a 3 door completely impractical for me though.
The whole transmission debate is a bit pointless, kind of like arguing redhead or brunette. Proclomations of only manual is a drivers car or conversely 30 yrs of driving manual and now DCT is far better are worthless. It will be an individual preference and often will come down to the car. Hey, if the A45s came in a manual I would have jumped all over it.
The point of the Yaris GR is that it whips all its price point competitors and makes the value of more expensive cars questionable. The engineering in it at its pricepoint is remarkable - much like the A45s at its pricepoint.
You are absolutely correct,it is a pointless debate,everyone knows brunettes are better than redheads 😄

601 - 612 of 612 Posts