Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

701 - 720 of 770 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
This new Haldex AWD system must be pretty good! ;)

When the kids Stage 1 this car, it will be mental.

·
Registered
199 Posts
View attachment 7579 I’m still running a golf 7R (stage 1 APR 389hp) and there isn’t much between them. Unless they’re massively understating the mk8R stock numbers, it shouldn’t be this close. Also can’t stand AH screeching whenever he’s going a bit fast so struggle to sit thru his videos. View attachment 7579
Of course there isn't. They have identical power to weight btw, what do you know!

Like I said previously we also have a Seat Leon Cupra 290 (gpf) which is Revo stage 1 (100oct RON) + VWR R600 intake + MST turbo elbow + VWR turbo muffler delete, we haven't dynoed but Revo claims 370bhp and 500nm with just a tune, and we are dead even and I mean absolutely neck and neck, from just under 60 mph and all the way to 131. Then the A45s begun slightly pulling away up to 150 that we shut down. And guess what, we got identical power to weight too! Like I've said many times, it's just physics, humanity hasn't yet invented the engine that can spawn horses at will.

Now if the new R is understated by 60hp and it actually makes 380, then yes it can keep up. But come on, nobody believes that.

And @veeeight I'd like you to tell me this, cause you keep saying that (about the new haldex). The Leon Cupra has like 12% losses (could be even less due to VAQ diff), you really believe there is ANY awd that can beat that? There is ANY awd that can actually have fwd territory losses? Especially fwd of that kind? Because that's what it'd take for the Golf to keep up (together with having 380hp of course!!). Freak car, witchcraft, you name it...

Any way you look at it, there isn't the slightest thing that suggests the MK8 Golf R can even be close (let alone reel in), unless it's stage 1, and even then, the A45s shouldn't lose. I believe they will be pretty evenly matched but the A45s should still have the upper hand above a certain speed due to bigger turbo.

Reactions: Forrester

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
And @veeeight I'd like you to tell me this, cause you keep saying that (about the new haldex). The Leon Cupra has like 12% losses (could be even less due to VAQ diff), you really believe there is ANY awd that can beat that? There is ANY awd that can actually have fwd territory losses? Especially fwd of that kind? Because that's what it'd take for the Golf to keep up (together with having 380hp of course!!). Freak car, witchcraft, you name it...
12% is exceeding low for a AWD system. Where did you/they get that figure from?

·
Registered
199 Posts
One of my previous cars was the MK5 Golf GTI Edition 30 DSG, which I tuned to Revo stage 2+ and I remember I once asked my Revo dealer about it. He said 13% is an approximate number, but later tonight I'll try to find you the Cupra's number which is even lower than that, I have to look it up.

·
Registered
AMG A45S 4-matic+ Plus
11 Posts
Of course there isn't. They have identical power to weight btw, what do you know!

Like I said previously we also have a Seat Leon Cupra 290 (gpf) which is Revo stage 1 (100oct RON) + VWR R600 intake + MST turbo elbow + VWR turbo muffler delete, we haven't dynoed but Revo claims 370bhp and 500nm with just a tune, and we are dead even and I mean absolutely neck and neck, from just under 60 mph and all the way to 131. Then the A45s begun slightly pulling away up to 150 that we shut down. And guess what, we got identical power to weight too! Like I've said many times, it's just physics, humanity hasn't yet invented the engine that can spawn horses at will.

Now if the new R is understated by 60hp and it actually makes 380, then yes it can keep up. But come on, nobody believes that.

Any way you look at it, there isn't the slightest thing that suggests the MK8 Golf R can even be close (let alone reel in), unless it's stage 1, and even then, the A45s shouldn't lose. I believe they will be pretty evenly matched but the A45s should still have the upper hand above a certain speed due to bigger turbo.
I maybe should have stated all the mods on the golf or that I’m a rotating equipment engineer (mechanical) but couldn’t be bothered with a long post. Agree with everything you have said buddy. “Ye canny change the laws a physics capn”. The golf runs 12.09 1/4 mile. Please excuse dodgy photo.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Reactions: Mad Chemist

·
Registered
199 Posts
@NeedAJobby that's some great numbers there, congrats! See how close they are to A45s! Including trap!

Alright, I couldn't find the Cupra's drivetrain losses but like I said 13% is about the average loss of modern fwd cars. Even lower with sequential gearboxes such as DSG (our Cupra has the 7-speed DQ381 version - I wonder if MK8 R has the same) and even lower with a diff such as Cupra's. But even 13% is still no match for awd. To find out a car's drivetrain losses there is a formula, in fact there is an online calculator but it requires information that I don't have. However I urge you to look it up yourself. Also, those of you that have tuned your car, you can ask your tuner. This is the kind of info they should have, if they're serious about tuning. Revo said it's about 13% for my old 2007 ED30 DSG.

I read a few posts on that VW forum where Steve threw the challenge and my God, there's people that actually believe the Golf can reel the A45s in! And in the top end too! And they say it's down to Golf's better aerodynamics!! Jesus been such a long time since I laughed this hard hahahah! Seriously, Carwow trapped 110 in the Golf, and the A45s traps nearly 117. You know how much of a difference that is? M2 CS traps 122 and we all saw how it pulled away near the end in Carwow's video.

But no the Golf reels the A45s in! Well let me tell you this... the day that 110 > 117, the world will come to an end.

Reactions: NeedAJobby

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
Nominal AWD losses for the likes of Gen4/5 Haldex, and M-B A35/45 AWD, is in the region of 18-24%.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Does anyone have the details on the Golf R Haldex system that it actually transfers the full 100% from front to rear. Also is the Toyota GR system not Haldex. Where again significantly more than 50%, ie even a 70% setting, is transferred rearwards.

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
It's all in the semantics for Haldex. 100% torque transfer to one outside wheel or rear axle is possible under certain circumstances.

GR Yaris isn't Haldex, it's a JTEKT system:

JTEKT driveline is very clever, the rear axle is overdriven (slightly different gear ratios) so it is possible to bias the torque towards the rear. The diffs are very lightweight, much lighter than the Haldex Gen 5 equivalent.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
It's all in the semantics for Haldex. 100% torque transfer to one outside wheel or rear axle is possible under certain circumstances.

GR Yaris isn't Haldex, it's a JTEKT system:

JTEKT driveline is very clever, the rear axle is overdriven (slightly different gear ratios) so it is possible to bias the torque towards the rear. The diffs are very lightweight, much lighter than the Haldex Gen 5 equivalent.
Thanks. JTEKT is a huge company. Very Japanese. This is there "Top Message" a literal translation I assume, from their president JTEKT CORPORATION|Top Message

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
@steve_3939 having looked back at your post on the Golf R site there is nothing offensive in it at all. Did you get banned purely for having got rid of your Golf :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
That was over 4 years ago. I emailed them asking why i was banned, mysteriously i am unblocked now 😎 maybe just an error 🤗

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
That was over 4 years ago. I emailed them asking why i was banned, mysteriously i am unblocked now 😎 maybe just an error 🤗
Good. As we'd never ban anyone for getting rid of their A-Class.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just to make all this Golf R vs A45s stuff even more confusing.
Check out this Carwow video from the 7 minute mark
From a 50mph 3rd gear pull the A35 pulls away from the Golf R and it's not until 100mph that the Golf gets alongside it and then starts to pull ahead.

Now watch this Carwow A45s vs A35 video where they perform the same 3rd gear 50mph pull.
Watch from 6 minute 22 seconds
The A45s is off like a stabbed rat and by 100mph is way ahead of the A35.

So with this in mind,how can the Golf R be so close to the A45s in Archies video?
In his latest video the tuner guy says that the A45s makes it's extra power at the top end,this makes me think that Archie was changing gear early to make it look a closer race.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Just to make all this Golf R vs A45s stuff even more confusing.
Check out this Carwow video from the 7 minute mark
From a 50mph 3rd gear pull the A35 pulls away from the Golf R and it's not until 100mph that the Golf gets alongside it and then starts to pull ahead.

Now watch this Carwow A45s vs A35 video where they perform the same 3rd gear 50mph pull.
Watch from 6 minute 22 seconds
The A45s is off like a stabbed rat and by 100mph is way ahead of the A35.

So with this in mind,how can the Golf R be so close to the A45s in Archies video?
In his latest video the tuner guy says that the A45s makes it's extra power at the top end,this makes me think that Archie was changing gear early to make it look a closer race.
Good analysis. AH carrying out all his own stunts, no need for a stunt double.

701 - 720 of 770 Posts