Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

721 - 740 of 770 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
About as underrated as I was expecting. Nothing extraordinary. Few points:

1. DMS guy says the A45s does make a lot more power than the Golf but that's only in the last 1500 rpms, implying it's not much of an advantage. Wrong, the last 1500 rpms is in fact almost where you want to be when you're drag racing, as every time you shift you're always down to about 5k ish, but never below. So if the Golf makes similar power at 3k or 4k, it makes absolutely no difference. Unless you can't drive and you shift at 5-6k. Oh, wait.
2. AH says it wasn't his driving. Why that doesn't surprise me.
3. 11.94 vs 12.3. That is over 3 cars length. You keep rumbling about gearing and powerband, you're still a 12.3 and no gearing, powerband or planetary alignment can change that.
4. That's for the Golf fanboys that can't wait for the Golf to get a tune and smash the A45s. The Golf won't smash the A45s with just a tune, but should make good power to keep up. But, how about a tune for the A45s? 500hp/610nm good enough?

You can do better.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Dyno at DMS. Stock power is underrated:
Regardless of AH's immaturity butting in and giggling while the guy at DMS was talking through the technicalities of the Golf's power band and gearing. It was very interesting to hear what DMS finally managed to say about the Golf's power band and gearing compared to the A45s. But it still pointed to AH not being very good at drag races up to at least 90 mph and then beyond that.

I also wondered if AH now has a print of one of you guy's A45s merged with his Golf as DMS said they would give him.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Excellent thank you. The A45s actually has a flatter fatter torque curve than I realised.

Reactions: Theo and CREED

·
Registered
48 Posts
Would have been nice to hear what the DMS guy had to say properly, without the over-excited teenager interupting with pointless banter.

Couple of things, the G8R is not running thar much boost at 1.4bar. If the turbo has similar specs to the previous gen, 1.7-1.9 bar will be safe, assuming fueling can keep up. Thats easy big power jump.

I thought the quickest tmes for the A45s were race mode with launch control and full auto for the trans? Manual shifting is ony going to slow things down. So why manual shft in a drag race? Or was it only in the rolling race?

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
I thought the quickest tmes for the A45s were race mode with launch control and full auto for the trans? Manual shifting is ony going to slow things down. So why manual shft in a drag race? Or was it only in the rolling race?
You are entirely right. AH however always seems to manual shift in all scenarios.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Excellent, great work. That graph shows exactly what I'm talking about. The fact that the Golf obviously spools up faster and actually makes more power and torque up to a little over 3.5k, does absolutely nothing in a drag race. But if you shift at 5k, you're gonna drop down to 3k and give the advantage to the Golf and then it's down to weight. That's exactly what AH did. Now, I can understand AH not having a clue about these things, even though it's not rocket science, but I was expecting a better argument from the DMS guy. That graph shows exactly why the A45s does sub 12 while the Golf does 12.3 and why the two cars are NOT close. AH will never admit it was down to his poor driving, but I'm afraid the only other explanation belongs to the world of fantasy, where anything is possible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The graph is fatastic, thankyou!
A great example of "big" versus "small" turbo.
They are so linear, no turbo rush at all - that must be deliberate, holding back boost by wastegate control?

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Dyno at DMS. Stock power is underrated:
For a car getting such good press, Drive the Deal are offering 14.5% off already on the Golf R in their latest email.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
A 45S vs M2 CS drag & rolling in S Africa.
I wish these guys would leave the changes to the much faster and much more capable auto boxes, so we can get a proper side by side rolling race comparison.

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
For a car getting such good press, Drive the Deal are offering 14.5% off already on the Golf R in their latest email.
They’ve always done massive discounts and good lease deals on the R, last R’s were available on lease for around £250pcm, extremely good value for a 300+ bhp car.

The naysayers were constantly talking down the effect that would have on residuals, but that’s not come to much, and VW shifted them by the bucketload and they were/are still extremely desirable.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Unless I was in a rush I’d wait for the discount to hit 20% if I were looking for a Golf R.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Good post.

Inevitable outcome I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
I thought the Civic was supposed to be quicker than ours round a track.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Clearly not and I am sure the A45s will give the M3 a close run in a drag race as traction must be an issue for it off the line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s funny, I read a little while ago that the Nurburgring lap in the civic was set by Honda themselves.
They’d taken weight saving measures to ensure the best possible time.
Whereas the a45s was was set by sport auto in the same conditions etc as all the other lap times.
I’m not sure how true that is but thought it was interesting.

721 - 740 of 770 Posts