Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

741 - 760 of 770 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
It’s funny, I read a little while ago that the Nurburgring lap in the civic was set by Honda themselves.
They’d taken weight saving measures to ensure the best possible time.
Whereas the a45s was was set by sport auto in the same conditions etc as all the other lap times.
I’m not sure how true that is but thought it was interesting.
That's interesting to know.

I'm certainly very happy with my A45s, especially in real world use over a very wet UK winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's interesting to know.

I'm certainly very happy with my A45s, especially in real world use over a very wet UK winter.
Absolutely, iv had mine since jan now and i have still have plenty of moments that remind me of the first proper go in it, after I’d run it in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It’s funny, I read a little while ago that the Nurburgring lap in the civic was set by Honda themselves.
They’d taken weight saving measures to ensure the best possible time.
Whereas the a45s was was set by sport auto in the same conditions etc as all the other lap times.
I’m not sure how true that is but thought it was interesting.
Manufacturers times cannot be compared to non-manufacturer's time.

Manufacturers will have teams there tweaking everything possible to get the best time.

Sport Auto probably has one or two shots with the car

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
I thought the Civic was supposed to be quicker than ours round a track.
Clearly not and I am sure the A45s will give the M3 a close run in a drag race as traction must be an issue for it off the line.
7:40.1 Renault Megane R.S Trophy-R (2019)
7:43.8 Honda Civic Type-R (FK8 2017)
7:47.19 VW Golf GTI Clubsport S (2016)
7:48.4 Audi TT RS (2017)
7:48.8 AMG A45s (2019)
7:50.0 BMW M3 CSL (2004)

I'm not sure how far you want to go down the road of discounting manufacturers run times, as at a stroke you would have to discount most of the leader board on the Nurburgring. So the latest AMG-GT Black Series 6:43.6 would have to be "deemed invalid".....

Plus - which Nurburgring times do you compare..... the traditional one (12.8), or the newer one (12.94) or the bridge to gantry times.....

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
So that actually means the A45s is top, potentially 😎

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
The BMW has a face for radio with those Kenneth Williams nostrils!
Entirely agree 😁

And while replying to Paul, completely off message. As a public safety advisory. For your YouTube channel, I had a safety notification for my OLED and LG have arranged a free power board replacement for today as a fire risk precaution.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Entirely agree 😁

And while replying to Paul, completely off message. As a public safety advisory. For your YouTube channel, I had a safety notification for my OLED and LG have arranged a free power board replacement for today as a fire risk precaution.
Thanks for the heads up on this.
Doesn't sound good.
What model do you have?

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this.
Doesn't sound good.
What model do you have?
LG-OLED65B7V I think it's down to an abundance of caution.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #751
Definitely, although I think the way the new m4 looks from the side is even worse... it just looks bizarre
Saw my first new M3 today in Isle of Man Green. Loved it, nostrils and all :cool:(y)
Had a great stance. I'm seriously temped with a M3 Touring as my next car and perhaps last hurrah to a pure petrol era.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
The x-drive version would be the one to get.

Reactions: AThirtyFive

·
Registered
215 Posts
LG-OLED65B7V I think it's down to an abundance of caution.
Yes they started doing the replacements some months back,as you said,just as a precaution.
I was worried that it was one of the latest models that you had.

So did it all go ok when they done your replacement?

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Yes 20 minutes tops and it all seems exactly as before if not a marginally better picture.

Reactions: TTG

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
May 2021 WhatCar compares the Golf R, S3 and the M135i and on a page for an even better used alternative this appears 👍👌✌

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just watched this video that confirms Carwow have tested the A45s against the new Golf R!
The guy in the video didn't give any results away,but reading the comments and him being asked which car was the best (he also tested the GR Yaris) he said that money aside the A45s was the best and in another comment he also said that the A45s makes the numbers it claims.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Good post (y)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just to make all this Golf R vs A45s stuff even more confusing.
Check out this Carwow video from the 7 minute mark
From a 50mph 3rd gear pull the A35 pulls away from the Golf R and it's not until 100mph that the Golf gets alongside it and then starts to pull ahead.

Now watch this Carwow A45s vs A35 video where they perform the same 3rd gear 50mph pull.
Watch from 6 minute 22 seconds
The A45s is off like a stabbed rat and by 100mph is way ahead of the A35.

So with this in mind,how can the Golf R be so close to the A45s in Archies video?
In his latest video the tuner guy says that the A45s makes it's extra power at the top end,this makes me think that Archie was changing gear early to make it look a closer race.
I never got how the Golf beat the S3 by half a second (about 5 cars) and what do you know, I just bumped into another drag race video that appears to be far more realistic for their power difference.

Skip to the 2nd run where both cars had perfect launches. 12.47 vs 12.56, one tenth. Shows how easy an otherwise close race can turn into an annihilation, at the "right" hands.

Moral of the story: like I've already said, no freak cars, 320hp (or 335 actual hp whatever) is just what it is, 320 (335) hp, not 350, not 370. A 320 hp car, barely beat a 310 hp car of almost identical weight.

·
Registered
199 Posts
View attachment 7579 I’m still running a golf 7R (stage 1 APR 389hp) and there isn’t much between them. Unless they’re massively understating the mk8R stock numbers, it shouldn’t be this close. Also can’t stand AH screeching whenever he’s going a bit fast so struggle to sit thru his videos. View attachment 7579
Few days ago I was chased by a 7R that appeared to have an aftermarket exhaust. I did a 1st gear roll to about 110 mph and was slightly creeping away the whole time. Reminded me of your post.

Reactions: NeedAJobby

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Good post.

What Car this month has the Golf R hit 60 mph in 4.3s and the Audi S3 4.4s. and in kick down they are just 0.1s apart in favour of the Golf except for 30-70 mph where the Golf takes 3.8s and the S3 4.0s. These numbers are all in the dry.

741 - 760 of 770 Posts