Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
941 - 960 of 967 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Again the Golf R is nowhere as fast as a previous version shown in their earlier videos as well as by AH.
Only thing I have to say is I fully agree with a few youtube comments that carwow should've brought the A45s instead, it's the first thing that crossed my mind too. Maybe they wanted it to be a VW-Audi Group clash, which includes Porsche and Lamborghini. But either way, the Golf was never there. Someone just brought a knife to a gunfight. :love: GT4 btw.

And guys, chill. I'm sure there was a significant amount of humor in @veeeight's post. It's just an AI kind of humor, not entirely compatible to humans, takes a while. :p

Reactions: nn7man and Sixman

·
Registered
152 Posts
You’re assuming a lot here, primarily my original intent, how much humour was meant, and to whom it was directed.

Arrogance is not limited to just moderators, I see :)

Please don’t keep trying to escalate this. If @Turbo Ed or @Forrester feel slighted by my cheap shot, I will of course apologise to them personally.
Oh, I am just devastated!! :)

That said, appreciate the support @nn7man, my car at the workshop, should be dyno'd with /without the POSAIDON in the next 24 hours.
Remember this is on the Mainline Hub dyno

I am having trouble with the Maha operator here.
He is one of those precious guys who hates boxes and says " proper tuning" is the only way to go.
I am battling to even get a standard baseline run; however, will keep trying.

@veeeight with the mouth, :), in which thread would you like the graphs posted?

Now I need to learn how to post the graphs and I guess I better acquire one of those Dragy things.

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
My last day on holiday in Spain so I'm going to stay chilled. The A45s is just a lot better, faster and classier than the R is all I can say otherwise we wouldn't own one, no returns :)

·
Super Moderator
1,999 Posts
My last day on holiday in Spain so I'm going to stay chilled. The A45s is just a lot better, faster and classier than the R is all I can say otherwise we wouldn't own one, no returns :)
couldn’t agree more and talk from experience having owned 2 before jumping ship 👍

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
And guys, chill. I'm sure there was a significant amount of humor in @veeeight's post. It's just an AI kind of humor, not entirely compatible to humans, takes a while. :p
Entirely agree :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
But who in here thinks that at the hands of AH, the Golf would've reeled in both the RS and the GT4? 😂

·
Registered
350 Posts
What I really wanna see is a stage 1 8R vs a stock A45s which should once and for all put an end to that parody of rivalry (because there is no rivalry, nor was it intended to be). The A45s would still not lose, in fact we'd still be ahead even if it was by a mere .1" because the Golf isn't going to gain more than 30hp, for the simple reason that it's already making 340 and I bet 370 is as strong as it can get without an intercooler and a gpf-delete dp, same as previous MQB cars. To make 390-400hp it's gonna need an intercooler and a tweak in the tune which some tuners (i.e. Revo) call it stage 2 although it's never a true stage 2 without a dp, but it appears they increase boost more than the ic can handle. And then you go true stage 2 with a gpf-delete dp and make 410-420, but for now that's only possible with a custom tune. I bet we'll have the exact same steps with the 8R. Well if I'm right, there's no way it can cover .3" to .4" with an extra 30hp. Maybe .2".

So yeah, carwow please bring a stage 1 (tune only) 8R and race your stock A45s. Jokes are only good for a while.

·
Registered
AMG A45S 4-matic+ Plus
14 Posts
My golf 7 is stage 1 & running 389hp and takes 12.09 to 1/4 mile 116 trap speed. It’s quicker than my a45s off the line so don’t expect a clear winner against a tuned golf.

·
Super Moderator
1,999 Posts
That’s the graph after my MK7 R tune

Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Pattern

it blew up 5 days later 😳

·
Registered
350 Posts
My golf 7 is stage 1 & running 389hp and takes 12.09 to 1/4 mile 116 trap speed. It’s quicker than my a45s off the line so don’t expect a clear winner against a tuned golf.
But yours is a pre-gpf isn't it?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well, I may be wrong, but as I've already said (I think I have, unless it was on another forum) we also have a 2019 Seat Leon Cupra in the family and the tuning stages are exactly as I described. I believe (and that's where I may be wrong but I doubt it) the 8R will have identical gains per tuning stage. So it's gonna be slower than your R.

Reactions: NeedAJobby

·
Registered
350 Posts
It will be a very interesting race anyway, seeing as under that 8R vs A45s video there were plenty of comments about how a tuned R would murder the A45s. But I believe it will still lose even if it's by one car length at the 1/4. Rolling 1/2 mile the gap should be even greater, because above 135mph our bigger turbo makes a noticeable difference. I'm talking from experience having raced our stage 1 Cupra to 145 numerous times. Up to 135 it keeps up though, we're literally neck and neck. And it's a lot lighter than the Golf too.

Reality check always hurts, and this will too. But if that's what it takes, I think the R fanboys will eventually be thankful that somebody opened their eyes. That somebody could be carwow.

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
I had one of the revision 1 turbo’s. They were known to pop 🙄
Had a brand new engine fitted on warranty, plus cat and turbo
I had the impression that the Golf R engine was highly robust. It's obviously not, so the R400 which was being talked about a couple of years ago would have needed a lot of expensive engineering, if it kept the two litre engine.

941 - 960 of 967 Posts