Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
961 - 967 of 967 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had the impression that the Golf R engine was highly robust. It's obviously not, so the R400 which was being talked about a couple of years ago would have needed a lot of expensive engineering, if it kept the two litre engine.
To be honest over here I haven't heard of engine issues. They actually have great tuning potential on stock internals. 6R and its FWD/AWD siblings were good for 420hp, with all bolt-ons and running w/m on stock turbo, which was great back in the day, but 7R and its siblings brought it to another level; if they were as capable as the 2019+ cars (which I believe so) then we're talking 500hp on stock internals. You could run hybrid turbos on stock internals. 2019+ cars like our Cupra is one example. Just four things, tune, intake, dp and ic and you're already making 420. Or go hybrid turbo and a few more bolt-ons and you're making 500hp, that's savage power for a car that weighs 200kg less than our A45s. Or 100kg less if it's an AWD sibling.

8R definitely has great tuning potential as well, similar to our Cupra, no question about it. But the R is quite heavy as well (lighter than our A45s but still heavy), it's gonna need at least a stage 2 to beat us in a drag race, launch or roll. And if we get a single tune to 480-490hp which is what the majority of tunes make, they're gonna need a hybrid turbo setup. In other words, the 8R will need to be 2 stages above the A45s.

Reactions: Forrester

·
Super Moderator
1,999 Posts
I had the impression that the Golf R engine was highly robust. It's obviously not, so the R400 which was being talked about a couple of years ago would have needed a lot of expensive engineering, if it kept the two litre engine.
My turbo was revision 1 I believe they went to 4 or 5 in about 4 years. Probably sussed it eventually. I also had deposit on the R400 but went that collapsed I came over to the dark side 😂
Welcome home by the way 👍

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
Month's worth of rain in one day in the south east 🙁

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
From the carwow German channel CLA45s v C63s Coupe

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
Around 10.40 mins in the tyres for the CLA45s and the C63s are different width front to back. We don't get that in the UK as far as I am aware.

961 - 967 of 967 Posts