Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mercedes do not have the AMG emblem led projector for the W177 a class, only the mercedes star. Will the one for the W176 fit the W177 model?
Really want the AMG one

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Mercedes do not have the AMG emblem led projector for the W177 a class, only the mercedes star. Will the one for the W176 fit the W177 model?
Really want the AMG one
Will fit, the light of the W176 is the same as the W177. Only different design, but will fit the same hole.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello guys

Looking to install the OEM door projector lights in my W177 (it has the required light and sight package)

I’ve seen quite a few posts about people getting cheaper versions with no problems.

But I know a few people on this site also spring for the slightly clearer OEM ones with build in heat sink.
A1778200201

I’m just wondering why the description says that coding is required and a buyer also mentions it in a review. That it needs coding to function correctly.

Shouldn’t it be plug and play? The wire already gives power when the door is opened. Maybe the car needs coding to send more power - that’s the only reason I can think of.

But if it truly needs coding then I’ll just buy the kit from the dealer directly and have them install in - just hoped it would be easy to do yourself without coding.

·
Registered
173 Posts
From reading on the German boards - which are super active - I can gather that for some reason a few people have experienced flickering if not coded. So I guess I’ll have to go to MB for this option. Would have liked to do it myself though.

On the other hand - mechanic can probably just do it in the parking lot in 5 mins.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The cheap ebay ones I fitted which were highlighted on here plugged straight in without any coding. Have not seen any flickering with these at all!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello guys,

I`ve installed new lights and they flicker...is there something i can do ?thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes - they 100% need to be coded by a Mercedes workshop. I can send you the coding guide. But MB will have it. It’s a 10 min job

·
Registered
CLA 45S
234 Posts
I fitted some projectors on my 2020 CLA which didn't require coding.

My car had puddle lights from the factory and the projectors just replaced those using their power connector.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It’s because you didn’t fit the factory ones right? All the third parties fit fine without coding. But Mercedes own are of a higher quality and use more power (they come with a build in heat sink) they produce a much clearer and detailed logo so they need the power.

Without coding the door control modules they won’t supply enough power and the logo will flicker. From factory, they door modules are coded to supply enough power for the standard puddle light. That’s fine for most third party lights - but MBs own lights need more.

·
Registered
CLA 45S
234 Posts
Without coding the door control modules they won’t supply enough power and the logo will flicker. From factory, they door modules are coded to supply enough power for the standard puddle light. That’s fine for most third party lights - but MBs own lights need more.
Ah! I didn't realise that, thanks for the info.

For reference, mine are aftermarket ones, they're fairly bright but not visible at all during the day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes - they 100% need to be coded by a Mercedes workshop. I can send you the coding guide. But MB will have it. It’s a 10 min job
Hi!

Thanks for this comment, it is helpful.

Could you post the coding guide and what is needed?

I'm getting my a250e this week and it's the think I would like to do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got the guide (workshop guide) in German pdf. Can’t upload it I think. But send me your email and I’ll send it.

I can see others (and myself) had a very big problem with convincing MB that it needed coding. I referred to forums and Kunzmann but the dealer just stood his ground and wanted to starting pulling off doors and changing door control units. They called other dealers and referred to their master diagnostics guy, but still said that it was just plug and play and that the problem had to be something else.

I had to send them the actual coding guide and then they fixed it in 5 minutes without disassembling the entire car.

I think the problem is that it doesn’t need coding on most other models. And then MB just presumes that it’s the same for the A-Class.

·
Registered
99 Posts
s workshop. I can send you the coding
It’s because you didn’t fit the factory ones right? All the third parties fit fine without coding. But Mercedes own are of a higher quality and use more power (they come with a build in heat sink) they produce a much clearer and detailed logo so they need the power.

let me get it straight. if MB ones require more power than my chinese ones should be fine but they flicker. If i go to MB to code them how much they charge?

41 - 60 of 96 Posts