Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few days ago, I purchased a 2nd hand W177 (A200 petrol) with 5000km from a German Mercedes Dealer in Berlin (they work directly with MB - they're notorious for well maintained cars and good warranty policies (they offer 2 years for used cars). The package is called "progressive" here (but this doesnt matter) (aside from the fact I discovered I need to throw 300+ euros for Android Auto/ Apple carplay). Let's skip to the juice:

The gearbox's funny. I know, DCT, Double Clutch, technology or what have you. I saw a couple of these videos - but I'm more into Software Engineering so frankly I don't need to know the details. The question now is :

Is it just "how it is" or should I go get it checked ASAP and take advantage of the 10 day return window (with a 2% fee?)

The issue: This feels very UN-smooth. Like, I'm waiting on the traffic light, I push the gas, nothing happens, I push a little more, the RPM goes up, and fiiiinallly (feels like an eternity) the car goes from 1 to 2nd gear. Literally my *****n 15 year old 75bhp Ford Fiesta felt faster than this 160+ bhp Mercedes!!!!!

The travel distance I need to do on the pedal and the RPMs I need to have feel awkwardly high to me. I've driven the BMW 1 series, the Mini Coopers, a Prius.. never had that feeling.

I was told that the DCT's use a chip - a sensor , that adapts to the driving style. I guess the German drivers tend to Floor their cars on start, so it could be I just "need to wait" as my sales guy insists. But I just don't have a good feeling about this. This is not normal.

Anyone else had similar experience? Any common easy fixes? Can I "reset" the sensor to the factory setting? (I saw some videos but they refer to w176 and older).

Thank you very much for the time you spent to read & answer to this!

·
Super Moderator
2,125 Posts
There have been a number of software updates to the gearbox ECU, but you have to "persuade" your dealer to update it.

If you wade through this thread slowly, there are a few references to it:

And yes, no harm in trying initial adaptation/reset.
(Same procedure as W176, but no key, so use the start button to get it to Position II etc.)
A45 TCU & Throttle adaption reset

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would get it checked. There are software updates available for the gearbox. I’ve had no such problems in my a200. It’s quick of the line with no hesitation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@veeeight "(Same procedure as W176, but no key, so use the start button to get it to Position II etc.)"
How do you get to "Position II" with the button? do you mean I have to remove the button and use the key which is hidden inside the "key" ?

·
Super Moderator
2,125 Posts
How do you get to "Position II" with the button? do you mean I have to remove the button and use the key which is hidden inside the "key" ?
Foot off the brake.
Press button once = Position I
Press button twice = Position II

Press button again = Position 0

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks! I'll wait for my Monday visit to the Dealer (even thought they said I'll have to pay for this one if problem is not found!?) and if that doesnt work I'll do the initial adaptation thingy. Any hints on what to ask the (German) engineers for when I complain for the DTC gearbox? Anyway to get em to install any possible updates?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had this on mine (A200) and it annoyed the crap out of me, didn’t feel safe pulling out of junctions etc. Took it back to Merc about a month ago and they carried out an engine and gearbox software update and it’s like driving a different car now, no more hesitation and is much smoother in general, mpg has increased too so an added bonus.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I must admit though, I had trouble getting them to do it as to start with they said they said there was nothing wrong with it! I did my research (lots of posts on here about it which I showed them) and that’s when they actually bothered to plug it in to find there were updates available! Don’t let them fob you off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi. My wife had this problem with her A200. The local dealer did an 'update on the gears' (their words) and it's much better. Her front tyres were worn down after 13,000 miles which she thinks was due to the jerky gearbox.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the "gearbox update" have a code name or a version number that I can specifically ask for?

·
Registered
30 Posts
No, as soon as they plug it in though and check for updates they should know. Mine was 2 separate software updates apparently , an engine one and a gearbox one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve experience the same laggy/jerky gearbox when taking off in 1st. This issue really annoying in incline situation. I just contacted the dealer and see if they can provide me the update.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hopefully you got it sorted gkatsanos!
I had the same problem when I first bought my car. When I had it in for service I asked them to go out for a test drive to make sure that they understood what the problem was.

When I picked up the car at the end of that day they said they updated both the MBUX that I asked for and also the gearbox.

Worked like a charm after that, and also I was able to buy Apple Carplay that my dealer said was impossible on my 2019 version.

But I think that my gearbox has been starting to act up again, so after summer I think I need to call them again to see if they have some more updates and go out for another test drive.

The problem with the gearbox now is more that it switches gears very strangely. I can have the cruise control on, driving along a straight flat road in 110km/h and it can switch between 7th and 5th gear just randomly.
And also when I try to reverse from my parking lot with a cold engine I need to rev up quite high before it starts reversing and then just jump backwards..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts