Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the manual, A 200. I've had the car in several times because I feel vibrations in the steering wheel at certain speeds and I always feel like I'm driving over small cobblestones. They've' balanced the tires several times (hankook winter icept evo 2 205 60 r16). They've also told me that the cylinder deactivation may be causing this issue. I drove the A class automatic for several months while waiting for mine and it never felt like this. Mercedes is now telling me it's normal. If I knew the manual version would drive like this I would not have purchased it. I knew the car had stiff suspension, but this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whats the gear change like?

Do the engine revs rise on their own when changing up or down each time you dip the clutch?

When the car is in Sport mode I notice that when I slow down, the engine sometimes spurts a short but noticeable rev when the brake and clutch are both down together. Very odd - not sure what is hgappening. It doesn't happen in any other mode

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any more news about the manual transmission?
I’ve ordered a new A200 with manual transmission but I’m a bit worried…
Can anyone help?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had a new A200 petrol / manual / AMG-line / Premium for a few days. I'm very happy with the car. The gearbox is very smooth and the clutch is nice and light. It's speedy and responsive compared with my previous 140 bhp Fiesta. The dynamic settings options are Comfort, Sport & Individual (no Eco option). Comfort & Sport both work well although I like Individual on which I select Sport for Steering and leave the other sub-settings on Comfort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Many thanks and please keep me updated.

So, you do not have had any issues with the gearbox that another members mentioned, right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't experienced anything like that reported by others, it's a great manual gear shift car to drive. I selected manual because I prefer to have control over gear selection. I also read a review (can't remember where) that suggested the A200 petrol 1.3 / 163 bhp engine is better suited to the manual gearbox.

I think having the AMG-line spec is worth it for the multi-link suspension (in preference to the torsion beam on SE & Sport specs). I think that (as well as using Comfort suspension option) make the ride over poor road surfaces acceptable despite having 19" wheels.

Another view I've come across is that the A200 petrol engine is harsh, but that's not my experience. I selected petrol because I will only do 10,000 miles / year including some shortish journeys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, i got a200 sport manual. Gearbox is abit dodgy with 2nd gear nxt to the reverse. Feels wierd everytime i change to 2nd. Anyone got same 2nd gear issue?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks mate, I do also prefer the manual gear, I still think the automatic gear a bit odd... I like to have the control.

I ordered the A200 AMG Line with Premium Pack, Multibeam LED lights, 18" wheels and manual transmission.

I haven't experienced anything like that reported by others, it's a great manual gear shift car to drive. I selected manual because I prefer to have control over gear selection. I also read a review (can't remember where) that suggested the A200 petrol 1.3 / 163 bhp engine is better suited to the manual gearbox.

I think having the AMG-line spec is worth it for the multi-link suspension (in preference to the torsion beam on SE & Sport specs). I think that (as well as using Comfort suspension option) make the ride over poor road surfaces acceptable despite having 19" wheels.

Another view I've come across is that the A200 petrol engine is harsh, but that's not my experience. I selected petrol because I will only do 10,000 miles / year including some shortish journeys.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've had manuals all my life and loved them. Love the control and also found that autos was really bad. When I went to get mine the manuals was not available so ended up with the auto box. Got to say thought I would hate it and want to get rid of it as soon as possible, but I love it, so smooth and in traffic it is lovely not to have to keep changing gears. When my car was in for a while the lease company arranged a courtesy car, a Vauxhall automatic and it was horrible.

As to better control, the paddles on the back of the steering wheel give you extra control. Want to overtake without waiting for the kickdown, which is pretty quick anyway, just flick the paddle and your in the gear. The double clutch does a great job is keeping everything smooth.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts