Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this.

On the motorway It sometimes feels like my steering wheel is off center but When I look at the wheel it does seem dead center but it still feels like something is "off"

I had the wheel allignment done three times (with a hunter allignment machine) and its perfect.

I don't think it's the allignment or anything mechanical. I think either the pedals or the steering wheel in comparison to the seat is off center because it's a RHD car and in Germany they are designed from scratch to be built LHD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm also noticing my car seems to pull to the left when I let go of the wheel and my steering wheel is slightly tilted to the right when driving on the motorway. I had 5 allignments done and none of them could resolve the issue. There is not much the guys can adjust on these cars, only the toe in and out. For now I'm blaming it on road crown/slope. It is pretty frustrating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Just noticed that my RHD (A200 AMG Premium)'s driver's seat is ever so slightly rotated to the right (clockwise when looking from above). Thought I'd bring it up to the wise experience souls of AClassClub. Does anybody else notice this / is this something I need to get fixed?

My explanation for this is the fact that the centre console eats into the left side of the driver's footwell on the - so from a practical perspective it makes sense for the seat to be rotated to the right for maximum utilisation of footspace. However, I find it unlikely that German design would allow for a maligned driving experience (i.e. facing to the right of the direction of travel).

What are your thoughts?

BW and thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
4,528 Posts
Not sure about "rotated" (I believe the seats are square on to the body shell of the car) - but certainly in common with many many other RHD cars, the pedals are offset to the centre line of the seat.

What also doesn't help is that the steering wheel isn't centred with the instrument dials on the display, and can lead to some discomfort for those who like things lined up..... see:

But pedals being offset to the centre line of the steering wheel - very very common.

·
Registered
A200 Sport Premium
190 Posts
Since my A200 was returned from the bodyshop after someone pranged the front offside bumper, light and wheel arch while parked, I've noticed the steering pulls ever so slightly to the left.

It may well be that this was the case before it was biffed and I didn't notice, so that seems unlikely as I'm anal about these things. Basically the steering wheel seems to hang very slightly on the left. If I let go on a motorway or long straight section it will drive in a straight line until it hits the slightest lump or bump, and then it will pull to the left. Never to the right. The tyres are all perfectly matched and inflated, so I was about to get the wheel alignment checked but first found this thread about suspension software.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

·
Super Moderator
4,528 Posts
Tyres and the way they are wearing can have an effect.

But in the first instance I would go down the 4 wheel alignment route.

Tips in these threads:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Car is pulling to the left. Tyres are all fine, no uneven ware etc. Just had 4 wheel alignment done to fix it. Although it was slightly out front near-side and rear near-side it was not by a lot and it's made no difference anyway. Still continuously pulls left. Anyone had similar issue? Idea's? Thanks Mart.
Yes my new A200 is exactly the same. 2 wheel alignments, balancing and pressures all fine. Dealer says must be the camber of the roads local to me. I said nonesense. It pulls to the left on dual carraigeways and motorways. The steering wheel is also tilted slightly to the left when driving too. Any thoughts? Seems to me it must be either brake bindng or electronic steering is out.

·
Super Moderator
4,528 Posts
The steering wheel is also tilted slightly to the left when driving too.
See this pic

·
Registered
A200 Sport Premium
190 Posts
See this pic

Not yet. Because another forking retard crashed into my car. I swear it's cursed!
Both times it was parked, this time in an essentially empty car park - seriously there was nothing within twenty metres.
Damage seems to be minimal and she left a note thankfully, but I'm concerned there's more damage than there seems, as the boot seems to 'bounce' when I close it - is that normal and I just never noticed before?

As for the steering wheel, it's not off-centre as per your pic. More that the left side is lower, and I can see more of the steering column on that side. If I hold it straight I'll steer gently to the right. The garage is going to adjust the alignment when they fix the crashed rear bumper.

·
Registered
A200 Sport Premium
190 Posts
I've not had a chance to book this in with the dealer, but it's still not fun to drive when I'm always having to pull the wheel down on the right to make the car stay straight.

Tracking was checked and adjusted, so what's the chances of them addressing this as a warranty issue? It's due a third service after Christmas.

·
Registered
A200 Sport Premium
190 Posts

expand...This is an interesting thread to me.

As above, my car has been repaired twice having been biffed twice while parked. The hit to the front, although low speed (caught on neighbours doorbell) caused the wheel arch to bend and needed a new bumper. I've had the tracking checked and adjusted, but it still pulls to the left, and if I hold the wheel straight it steers slowly into oncoming traffic.

Should I mention the accidents to the garage when it has its 3 year service in January, or just mention the fault and suggest they fix it under warranty?

·
Registered
A200 Sport Premium
190 Posts
Mention the fault and ask them to correct it

But most UK roads have a camber on them so will naturally steer left when in the left lane of a single carriageway.
That's an excuse I've seen and heard many times.
Cars should be set up to go in a straight line unless there is a very severe camber. None of my other cars do this.

·
Super Moderator
4,528 Posts
It isn’t an excuse, camber does affect steering.

If ‘none of your other cars do this’ it will be because their EPAS system calibration will have been set up to increase friction in The dead ahead position, so that the driver won’t notice.

Comparisons from other brands/models is tricky and not really valid as different cars have different calibrations.

However that said, it isn’t a “pulling to the left” sensation in the W177, more of a drift.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also noticing my car seems to pull to the left when I let go of the wheel and my steering wheel is slightly tilted to the right when driving on the motorway. I had 5 allignments done and none of them could resolve the issue. There is not much the guys can adjust on these cars, only the toe in and out. For now I'm blaming it on road crown/slope. It is pretty frustrating.
Switch off the lane departure system, it cured that problem for me. You have to switch it off every time you start the vehicle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts