Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2020 A180 Sport Exec Manual Polar White
104 Posts
Hi guys

My A Class was serviced yesterday and while it was there I asked them to look at a steering creak (obvious when moving the wheel from lock to lock at low speed or parking). The mechanic kindly came out with me in the car to hear the noise and luckily he did and agrees its a fault.He said it could be a strut mount.

The car is a 2020 A180 with just under 7k miles, are there any suggestions what it could be?

It's going back in for this and a instrument screen rattle in two weeks but it'd be good to know if anyone else has experienced this.
Thanks

·
Registered
A250 Mojave Silver
5 Posts
Hi guys

My A Class was serviced yesterday and while it was there I asked them to look at a steering creak (obvious when moving the wheel from lock to lock at low speed or parking). The mechanic kindly came out with me in the car to hear the noise and luckily he did and agrees its a fault.He said it could be a strut mount.

The car is a 2020 A180 with just under 7k miles, are there any suggestions what it could be?

It's going back in for this and a instrument screen rattle in two weeks but it'd be good to know if anyone else has experienced this.
Thanks
Mine (Nov 2018) started making the creaking (or grinding) steering noise at low speed or parked at around 50k km (31k mi). I took it in for that and all the other rattles and fan noises.

Manufacturer's 3-year warranty has expired by then and my dealer's extended warranty does not cover "non-mechanical faults". My service provider said they remedied it by lubrication but it came back a week later. I have not taken it again yet.

So I'm curious, can you provide the details of the work they did/will do to remedy it? And whether it's considered a mechanical fault or not. Would be highly appreciated.

Below are videos/audios of the various noises I've managed to record (except the infamous B pillar rattle):

1. The aforementioned steering wheel creaking / grinding noise (turn up the volume to hear, hopefully this is what you're referring to).
2. Overhead control unit fan noise. Dealer's solution: replace the unit for £210 + labour £45.
3. Central panel (wireless charging area) fan noise. Kicks in when the car interior is warm. Dealer: replace the NFC control unit for £760 + labour £175.
4. AC grinding noise when changing airflow direction. Dealer: AC motor may be faulty, labour £295 to remove the panelling just to inspect.
5. Bonus: low groaning noise when turning at low speeds. Disappeared for a while then came back but only at very low speeds. Taking it later this month to inspect. Anyone got a clue? Google says wheel bearings that are starting to wear out / CV joint losing lubrication.

Verdict: only the steering noises bother me enough to pay for a fix. The rest I can unhappily live with until I get rid of the car. Will not be getting another MB unless the manufacturer's warranty here matches that of the other German brands (5 years) and the dealer improves their extended warranty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine (Nov 2018) started making the creaking (or grinding) steering noise at low speed or parked at around 50k km (31k mi). I took it in for that and all the other rattles and fan noises.

Manufacturer's 3-year warranty has expired by then and my dealer's extended warranty does not cover "non-mechanical faults". My service provider said they remedied it by lubrication but it came back a week later. I have not taken it again yet.

So I'm curious, can you provide the details of the work they did/will do to remedy it? And whether it's considered a mechanical fault or not. Would be highly appreciated.

Below are videos/audios of the various noises I've managed to record (except the infamous B pillar rattle):

1. The aforementioned steering wheel creaking / grinding noise (turn up the volume to hear, hopefully this is what you're referring to).
2. Overhead control unit fan noise. Dealer's solution: replace the unit for £210 + labour £45.
3. Central panel (wireless charging area) fan noise. Kicks in when the car interior is warm. Dealer: replace the NFC control unit for £760 + labour £175.
4. AC grinding noise when changing airflow direction. Dealer: AC motor may be faulty, labour £295 to remove the panelling just to inspect.
5. Bonus: low groaning noise when turning at low speeds. Disappeared for a while then came back but only at very low speeds. Taking it later this month to inspect. Anyone got a clue? Google says wheel bearings that are starting to wear out / CV joint losing lubrication.

Verdict: only the steering noises bother me enough to pay for a fix. The rest I can unhappily live with until I get rid of the car. Will not be getting another MB unless the manufacturer's warranty here matches that of the other German brands (5 years) and the dealer improves their extended warranty.
Hi there, thanks for that. Yes indeed I'll let you know. The car is back with them at the end of the month for a 2 day visit to fix the steering creak and the rattle from the instrument screen...

·
Registered
A200 AMG Line Premium Package (2019)
12 Posts
Hello, I recently bought a Mercedes A200 2019. However, I'm facing this problem and I'm not sure what is causing it. Since the car is no longer under warranty I would first like to see if I can fix this problem myself.

When driving at 90 km/h+ I hear a rattle coming from the left front side. Any ideas what could be causing this rattling? It's not inside, definitely outside and only audible when driving without music and on the motorway.

It sounds like the air that is passing through the front is making something rattle. But I have no clue what.

Link to audio:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi there, thanks for that. Yes indeed I'll let you know. The car is back with them at the end of the month for a 2 day visit to fix the steering creak and the rattle from the instrument screen...
So the guys at Brooklands just called me, the drivers side top strut mount is what's causing the creaking apparently. Parts ordered for that and should be back on the road Monday evening.
For the rattle they've disassembled the instrument cluster and B pillar trim and "lubricated".
Actually surprised that a strut mount can fail at just over 6k miles.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
So the guys at Brooklands just called me, the drivers side top strut mount is what's causing the creaking apparently. Parts ordered for that and should be back on the road Monday evening.
For the rattle they've disassembled the instrument cluster and B pillar trim and "lubricated".
Actually surprised that a strut mount can fail at just over 6k miles.....
Car is still in Mercedes at Brooklands since last Thursday. Now getting critical alerts for the battery as the doors have been open all day.

Really not impressed 😐

·
Registered
104 Posts
Car is still in Mercedes at Brooklands since last Thursday. Now getting critical alerts for the battery as the doors have been open all day.

Really not impressed 😐
The end to end experience with Mercedes Brooklands wasn't the best, so I sent them this email which has been acknowledged:

-----‐--------------

I wanted to please give some candid feedback on my experience at your Brooklands workshop over the past few weeks.

The car had two faults that needed to be looked at, namely a steering creak and a dashboard rattle.

Whilst the car was in for a service earlier this month, the faults could not be isolated so it was agreed I'd bring it back last Thursday 26th.

On Friday 27th after some chasing up, I was advised that the parts were not available and the vehicle would need to stay in the workshop. The loan car duration was extended so no problem there.

Yesterday, 30th I was advised that the workload of the team was too high and that there was an issue with headcount so work on my car could not start till today. The transparency in letting me know was appreciated.

Today I received a text at 0930 advising that technician had been allocated to my car. Throughout the day the Mercedes Me app was telling me that doors were open, windows down etc which I assumed was ok until I received the message in the email below (critical battery warning from Mercedes Me) which I have to say was worrying.

It's clear the fact that the door(s) were open for most of today created a drain on the battery. I queried this with the dealership via text only to be advised that "diagnostics" were being run on the car which caused the critical alert.

In over 30 years driving, I've never known any diagnostic test to drain a battery to such an extent as today, so I simply don't accept that excuse as realistic.

I had to chase again this afternoon just before 5pm to see if my car was ready, this was confirmed 20mins later meaning I had to get over to Brooklands in rush hour.

No handover was given on arrival, the key was simply returned and I was directed to wait outside for my car to be brought around. The car had not been valeted either which I found surprising.

Under the bonnet there was some bare metal exposed around one of the securing bolts for the strut mount which I've since touched in with paint.

In summary not the best experience from Brooklands, I think it could've been a lot better and more proactive, especially in follow ups and being more accurate with the explanation around critical alerts for battery health.

Separately I'm disappointed a component that should in theory last the lifetime of the car had to be replaced at 7k miles, regardless of whether or not it is covered under warranty.

End
‐----‐-------‐--‐--

The loan car, an AMG Line B180 made the same creaking noise oddly enough to a slightly lesser extent. Surely any car this age (2 years and 7k miles) shouldn't really have any noises from the steering. Has anyone else with the W177 had this issue?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
104 Posts
The end to end experience with Mercedes Brooklands wasn't the best, so I sent them this email which has been acknowledged:

-----‐--------------

I wanted to please give some candid feedback on my experience at your Brooklands workshop over the past few weeks.

The car had two faults that needed to be looked at, namely a steering creak and a dashboard rattle.

Whilst the car was in for a service earlier this month, the faults could not be isolated so it was agreed I'd bring it back last Thursday 26th.

On Friday 27th after some chasing up, I was advised that the parts were not available and the vehicle would need to stay in the workshop. The loan car duration was extended so no problem there.

Yesterday, 30th I was advised that the workload of the team was too high and that there was an issue with headcount so work on my car could not start till today. The transparency in letting me know was appreciated.

Today I received a text at 0930 advising that technician had been allocated to my car. Throughout the day the Mercedes Me app was telling me that doors were open, windows down etc which I assumed was ok until I received the message in the email below (critical battery warning from Mercedes Me) which I have to say was worrying.

It's clear the fact that the door(s) were open for most of today created a drain on the battery. I queried this with the dealership via text only to be advised that "diagnostics" were being run on the car which caused the critical alert.

In over 30 years driving, I've never known any diagnostic test to drain a battery to such an extent as today, so I simply don't accept that excuse as realistic.

I had to chase again this afternoon just before 5pm to see if my car was ready, this was confirmed 20mins later meaning I had to get over to Brooklands in rush hour.

No handover was given on arrival, the key was simply returned and I was directed to wait outside for my car to be brought around. The car had not been valeted either which I found surprising.

Under the bonnet there was some bare metal exposed around one of the securing bolts for the strut mount which I've since touched in with paint.

In summary not the best experience from Brooklands, I think it could've been a lot better and more proactive, especially in follow ups and being more accurate with the explanation around critical alerts for battery health.

Separately I'm disappointed a component that should in theory last the lifetime of the car had to be replaced at 7k miles, regardless of whether or not it is covered under warranty.

End
‐----‐-------‐--‐--

The loan car, an AMG Line B180 made the same creaking noise oddly enough to a slightly lesser extent. Surely any car this age (2 years and 7k miles) shouldn't really have any noises from the steering. Has anyone else with the W177 had this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Just to close this one off, had an honest conversation with the service manager at Brooklands and feedback taken as constructive and helpful. He offered to help next time the car is in for any work by emailing him directly so all good 👍

61 - 73 of 73 Posts