Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have "Standard Sound System" on my car. I am unhappy with the sound quality and I want to upgrade it.

Where is the amplifier location? Can I change amplifier?

Also I want to add a subwoofer and amp to the system, so where can I get audio signal? I don't prefer to use high level signals from the speakers. Any other options?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi there

I have W177 with the Standard Sound System and I'm very unhappy with it's sound quality. According to the technical spec there is no external amplifier.

I want to add a subwoofer with an amplifier. So my question is where can I get audio source for the amp? I dont prefer use high level speaker outputs as audio source. Any other ideas?

Can I upgrade Standard Sound System amplifier?

Standard sound system:

• Max. Total power: 100 watts
  • 6 speakers

Advanced Sound System (in UK Premium and Premium Plus):

• Max. Total output: 225 watts
  • 9 speakers
  • 1 subwoofer
  • 1 external booster amplifier

Burmester Surround Sound System:

• Max. Total power: 590 watts
  • 11 premium speakers
  • 1 subwoofer
  • 1 external Class-D amplifier
  • Optimized sound
  • Better-looking speaker grills

·
Administrator
5,159 Posts
Poor quality audio is a common complaint with the W177. Been discussed many times on this forum.

for pointers please search plus refer to these previous threads:

·
Premium Member
A35 Premium Plus
138 Posts
Even with the Burmester Surround Sound System, with the subwoofer, is uninspiring.

In my opinion, the last thread post above is the way to go, gives the richer sound that your after.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even with the Burmester Surround Sound System, with the subwoofer, is uninspiring.

In my opinion, the last thread post above is the way to go, gives the richer sound that your after.
Thanks for reply.

I could not see any thread about upgrading Standard audio system. Advanced and Burmaster Sound System options have amplifier in the trunk so adding extra amplifier is easy.

But Standard Sound System doesn't have any specified amp, so where can I get audio source? There must be an amp for Standard Sound Sytem too, I would like to know location of the amp so I can wire to the external amp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you sir.

Head Unit is located on the drivers side near the knee airbag. I took a video of it. I think this is the speaker connector of main unit, you can see the image below.

Can I find an adaptor cable that I can use between Head unit and amplifier?

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Auto part
Gesture Carnivore Liquid Dog breed Human leg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Dionvisser,

You can find the head unit above the odb port. Yo can see it from behind the brake pedal.If you want to ask something different, feel free to ask.

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amp location varies by sound system package. My car has standard sound system so it doesn't have amp in the trunk. If your car has Advanced or Burmaster sound system, there should be an amp in the trunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see what you mean. Mine has the standard sound system too unfortunately. My dealer told me they won't upgrade the soundsystems anymore. Searching now for a suitable solution without compromising trunkspace.

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
122 Posts
Hi,

Audiotec Fischer has a couple of plug and play harness for our cars, supporting both the current non-Burmester sound system and Burmester sound system.

Audiotec Fischer

For the A W177 non-Burmester sound, you can refer to MATCH PP-PAC 80.

For the A W177 Burmester sound, you can refer to MATCH PP-MB 1.9MBUX-BUR

The above applies to the CLA C118 as well.

I came across them while researching to upgrade my current Burmester sound system because I too am not satisfied with it.

The plug and play harness would allow you to connect to their Match Up 10 DSP and it looks promising.

I am still in the midst of researching and comparing, but at least this one is a plug and play option which makes it highly attractive to me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi,

Audiotec Fischer has a couple of plug and play harness for our cars, supporting both the current non-Burmester sound system and Burmester sound system.

Audiotec Fischer

For the A W177 non-Burmester sound, you can refer to MATCH PP-PAC 80.

For the A W177 Burmester sound, you can refer to MATCH PP-MB 1.9MBUX-BUR

The above applies to the CLA C118 as well.

I came across them while researching to upgrade my current Burmester sound system because I too am not satisfied with it.

The plug and play harness would allow you to connect to their Match Up 10 DSP and it looks promising.

I am still in the midst of researching and comparing, but at least this one is a plug and play option which makes it highly attractive to me.
Looks like that harness is a high level speaker to line level converter for their dsp amp.
I dont think there is a method to get digital or analogue signal directly from mbux.
If your going down this path have a look at minidsp harmony - probably the best dsp with dirac live. Audison also make good dsp units. With those you can plug the speaker level lines straight into the dsp.

I have 2 issues with my burmester system - not enough deep bass and I dislike the drone from the exhaust noise piped through the speakers. The bass issue is the subwoofer is too small, but I also dont want to lose boot space. Maybe aftermarket subs under rear seat may be an option?

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
122 Posts
Thank you for the info @Sixman. I am actually a complete noob when it comes to sound system so I am trying to read up as much as I can and ask around friends.

The subs under the rear seats sounds like a great idea! You don't get to lose any boot space and it is well hidden.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pins 1, 10 and 2 of connector 2 in de diagram below connects to the subwoofer amplifier of the advanced sounds system. It looks like an audio connection. Perhaps we can connect our own amplifier to those pins?

I just can't seem to find the right harness or breakout-box for this connector, so I can rewire those pins and distribute it to the trunk.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Diagram
Product Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts