Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys. I've been looking for a decent roof bike rack for my W177 (hatchback). I've been quoted by Mercedes and THULE.
Mercedes quoted with: Bike rack for two bikes (A000890029364) and a load bar (exclusively for W177).
THULE’s offer - THULE ProRide 591 or 598 (2x) and THULE WingBar.

The difference in price is slightly in favor of THULE (around 50 pounds)

Do you have any experience with either?
Is it better to install a Mercedes rack (technical fitting etc.) or go with THULE?
Would appreciate any help!
Grzegorz

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
The important thing is the roof bars from my experience with my E-Class estate. The box I just used Halfords but the bars need to be just right to fit and make sure it does not cause any damage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This one is compatible with 2020-2021 a250e saloon. Roofbox.co.uk has it in stock for £195. If you ask Thule they should recommend the fitting adaptor to suit your current Thule crossbars. Email them is better than chatting with ‘robot’.
I use Thule Motion XTM 400L roofbox with Yakima S25 Y aero through roof bars with k748 fitting kit for A250e saloon. Sizes are compatible with the size of the car roof.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi All - ive just fitted roof bars (MB basic carrier A 177 890 05 00) -fitting was easy and they are securely in place with a swivel spring hinge mechanism but what i did notice is that the depth of the gullies in the car roof (these are the four under the small covers in the car roof itself) that hold the roof bars are 2cm deep while the prongs in the roof bars are approx 3cm so while everything goes in perfectly the overall connection where it joins the car is raised about 1/2 cm from the surface and isnt perfectly flush as i would have expected - maybe this ensures the bodywork doesn't get damaged from the bars but i wondered if anyone else has noticed / experienced this ? - it upsets my eye for perfection hahaha and normally in other cars the covers etc all sit flush on the body work ....... there are loads of A class in north london where i live but I havent seen any with roof bars yet to see if they are the same but ill keep an eye out - ive attached a few pics
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Window Automotive exterior Fixture Plant Fender
Window Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Fixture
Plant Grey Gas Tints and shades Composite material

21 - 26 of 26 Posts