Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know why the rear passenger side footwell would be full of water, the door seals are good, the carpet at the side of the footwell going over the inner cills is bone dry and there doesn't appear to be any missing grommets under the car on that side. I wonered if the rear screen washer feed pipe had a leak but the washer reservior bottle is not emptying out.
It seems to be a bit of a job to remove the carpet on the A CLASS.

Any suggestions please.

Roy in Essex

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did not leave a window a bit open did you ? Think the washer bottle under the bonnet is for both front and back screens, so it would have to be a split/broken pipe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had this on mine in the front passenger, turned out the door hadn't been fully shut, didn't realise as no alert on screen and it all still locked and alarmed. It was difficult to see, an issue with the car as I can't believe there isn't a warning on the screen. If you dry it does it keep coming back or was it a one off incident? Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Roy
Just wondering whether you managed tolocate/resolve the source of your leak. I've got an A Class and have the same issue (quite a substantial puddle of water in the rear passenger footwell). I've removed/refixed the rear light casingand placed a hose over the window seals and boot lidbut am struggling to locate the cause of it. I've also noticed that water is collecting in the boot (beneath the spare tyre).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey I had a similar issue in my old Mkv r32 and was due to the air seals in the boot/bumper which pressurize the cabin when opening and closing the doors. The seals had perished and do was letting water into the boot under the spare tyre and then running into the back footwell and eventually the front. Not sure if this will be the same for the a class but may be an area to look at. Edited by: AK A45

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, No the door has not been left open or the window, we first noticed it after the heavy rain when the roads around here were flooded, we thought a grommet had come loose under the footwell and water had been able to flood in while on the move.During the MOT that was looked at and was not the cause.It isn't the seal around the door or the carpet from the door across to the footwell would also be wet.We got it dried out but it came back again during the recent heavy rain. There was also a lot of water in the battery compartment under the driver footwell, i pushed a grommet out below that and the water drained away.It does seem as if the water comes from the road when travelling through puddles ?? It is going back to a dealer for more investigation. Cheers Roy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Roy,
Did you have any luck finding the cause of your water leak? Did the dealer correctly identify? I have just found water around the battery well and a damp rear footwell on my 2005 model....

·
Registered
21 Posts
This can also be due to a Seal under the bottem of the car if there is a hole or a slight slit in it the floor will suck the water up which creates the puddle. however saying that the seal is hidden from sight so unless your car is sitting in a deep puddle this shouldnt really happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Tommy, It now appears that it is due to a blocked AC drain pipe that has allowed condensed water to back-up and deposit within the foot well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Roy I have the exact same problem in my mercedes it seems like the water is coming from the center rear passenger footwell but there is no explanation for it. It did stop breifly even though we still had rain not long ago but it has returned this week. I really hope you got to the bottom of this and it wasn't anything major :/.

Thanks
Aimee

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Roy/Aimee,
I am having the same problem a lot of water in the rear only left passenger footwell and we had some water in the battery compartment. It's seems the water comes when it is raining so I guess I can rule out the ac drain being blocked. I have made sure the drains in the front by the windscreen wipers are clear as there was some leaves and dirt. Still getting some water. Does anyone know where the water can be coming from and any advice to other drains that need to be cleared like the ones at the back of the car?

Toni

·
Registered
22 Posts
In the past I've heard of water coming through a poor seal around the spoiler and then making its way into the rear. Lots of access routes and holes under the spoiler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you I will pop it to my garage and suggest these to the mechanic and see what he says. Much appreciated. P.s it hasn't leaked now since the last time I posted on here and it has rained since then so in my opinion it must be something getting blocked otherwise it would leak every time it rains? Thanks again :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All

I have a A250 engineered by AMG bought new in May 13.

Last week I noticed the footwell behind the passenger seat had a puddle and the water was covering the mat.

Booked the car into the Mercedes Dealership in leigh on sea, essex where I bought the car. After having it for a full day the dealershio called up to say they couldnt work out what the problem was and would have to keep it for another day.

today I received a call to say that they had found the issue and it so happens that it is a design fault that Mercedes are aware of. They said water is getting in via the rear headlights and also the styling air vents in the rear bumper.

They said that new seals have been designed by Mercedes and they will fit them under warranty. Was told this will take 3 days to do as they need to remove the interior to dry the foam type sound damping membrane the sits on top on the cars base. They said need to check for further damage as this would have been soaking up water since I have had the car.

Not happy they that are aware of the issue and haven't done a recall.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hi Ben, I've had my engineered since. April 2013 just due for my first MOT. My car has never had an issue with damp or rattles, it's been wonderful. Do you leave the air conditioning on? Mine is on continuously unless the windows are open in lovely weather. It keeps the interior dry and condensation free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys
I have the same problem as above water in rear footwell and battery compartment the difference I have is the car has sat for 6 months waiting for my niece to pass her test and in that time the the radiatorsand car where completely drained of water so you can rule out the ac
also the car has not been driven so that rules out puddles on the road only cause can be rain and ingress from somewhere hopefully like 1 of the recent posts its the light seal though that guys was a 2013 car mines is 2005 no sure if its same problem ridiculous if Mercedes know about it and haven't done a recall or at least advised all owners terrible as some owners will be oblivious to this and also have no clue how to get to the bottom of it (ill be checking withMercedesin the morningto seeif they will repair her's)

if anyone does have any suggestions or advice from there expeeriance that can help will be much appreciated

cheers

billy

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI,

I recently bought an A180 and after 3 days of rain my boot under the spare tyre and my rear back footwell is soaking wet, Really disappointed. Does Mercedes warranty cover the cost of getting this problem fixed.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts