Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

301 - 320 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got the quote back.
2 prices quoted, to repair issue and replace rear carpet it is £292 or if front needs replacing too it is a total cost of £343

Thanks MB but no thanks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Christabelle
I have had to chase Mercedes today as I never received the morning call as promised, however he said he had spoke with HQ and they will be able to fund 75% of the costs and he is still supposed to call me back once he has costed it up for me.

To be honest I can't see it being any cheaper than 300/ 400 pounds once they have taken off 75%, so I'm going to leave it another hour before I book my car in to the body shop through a friend. Total amount will cost me 50/60 pounds.
The rain has been terrible all weekend and my carpet is like an ocean right now 😂

Let me know how you get on, if I manage to get my car booked in with a friend I will let you know how I get on.

Do you have the exact same issue?
Thanks Tats, i'll let you know how I get on, the issue seems to be the exact thing you guys are talking about

·
Registered
18 Posts
They also want £168.00 off me to diagnose, but I am heeding the advise of the other posters on here and pushing back on this :)
No wayyyy, they shouldn't need to diagnose the issue.
Speak to Ben from the parts department he was the one that kindly sorted me out.
I'm In two minds about getting the repair done by them.
Charlie, do you think I would cause long term damage if I don't get the carpet replaced after all this rainfall

·
Registered
395 Posts
Tats, difficult for me to say as I’m no expert on the makeup of carpet fabric/materials.
I think it’s worth living with it for a while particularly if you do have to replace the rear section of mat, there is no duplication of work. Some members used dehumidifiers set up inside the car to remove all the water/moisture & I think that’s probably the best idea.
Again, if you do find the carpets ultimately need replacing (let’s hope they don’t) then again, I think your body shop should be able to effect this repair as no specific mechanical knowledge would be required. I suppose you’ll be left with an unpleasant odour if the mats are ‘beyond it’. If (worst case scenario) you do need to replace them, try talking to your dealer asking if they or MB would give a contribution to discount 🤞🤞🤞🤞.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car is going in next Wednesday as it has a couple of recalls (non related to this issue though apparently) They have said they will assess and send a report to HQ but no guarantees!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tats, difficult for me to say as I’m no expert on the makeup of carpet fabric/materials.
I think it’s worth living with it for a while particularly if you do have to replace the rear section of mat, there is no duplication of work. Some members used dehumidifiers set up inside the car to remove all the water/moisture & I think that’s probably the best idea.
Again, if you do find the carpets ultimately need replacing (let’s hope they don’t) then again, I think your body shop should be able to effect this repair as no specific mechanical knowledge would be required. I suppose you’ll be left with an unpleasant odour if the mats are ‘beyond it’. If (worst case scenario) you do need to replace them, try talking to your dealer asking if they or MB would give a contribution to discount 🤞🤞🤞🤞.
Hi Charlieboy, if the mats weren't replaced could it cause knock on damage to the car, rotting, rusting etc - would you know?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Moisture lying on the underside of the carpet could cause rust on the metal flooring hence the need to ensure drying out as much as possible. If moisture is left then I would have thought an odour would become apparent & would quickly let you know if it’s not dried out properly. Lifting the plastic door sills should allow you to lift the outer edges of the carpet to assist drying the carpet better. I think I’m right in saying the water doesn’t affect the front mats. I don’t know the cost of the new carpet but if you feel it should be replaced (if only for peace of mind) then, as I’ve stated, with MB dealer labour rate around £120-£150 (minimum) I would certainly opt to use a good (accident) repair shop who would probably have better skills at removing seats etc than a MB workshop & I’m sure their labour rate would be much cheaper.

·
Registered
395 Posts
To Christabelle156 , Tats & any others with this problem DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES allow them to charge you for “Diagnosis” or “
Investigation” the Dealers (or Stealers as often referred to by members on this forum)
know full well what the problem is. If they say they haven’t come across this problem tell them they certainly lack experience & they should speak to a better qualified MB dealer.
If I was in this situation I would say “Please do not carry out an investigation, just remove the rear bumper & replace both equalising vents”. Immediately £100 plus saved. It’s simply their way of trying to boost their labour recovery rate which is always lower for warranty repairs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Charlieboy, if the mats weren't replaced could it cause knock on damage to the car, rotting, rusting etc - would you know?
Hey Charlie, I'm booked in at a local body repair garage on Saturday, I'll tell them to take some pics if they can.
I've got my items all ready!! :)
I wish this rain just bloody stopped for a day atleast! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did tj
My car is going in next Wednesday as it has a couple of recalls (non related to this issue though apparently) They have said they will assess and send a report to HQ but no guarantees!
Did they advise you what recalls they were?
Fingers crossed they can assist you with the flooding too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi does anyone know why the rear passenger side footwell would be full of water, the door seals are good, the carpet at the side of the footwell going over the inner cills is bone dry and there doesn't appear to be any missing grommets under the car on that side. I wonered if the rear screen washer feed pipe had a leak but the washer reservior bottle is not emptying out.
It seems to be a bit of a job to remove the carpet on the A CLASS.

Any suggestions please.

Roy in Essex
I had this problem - turned out too be a broken pipe venting water from the air con. Dealer fixed it and replaced the carpet under warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Charlie, Christabelle.
Had made car done today at a local body shop all for £40!!

He went a little heavy handed with the Tiger Sealant but it should do the job :)
Now I'm tasked with drying out the carpets so time will tell if this resolves the issue.

Attached some pics for you all (sorry if they are not in any order
IMG-20191130-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20191130-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20191130-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20191130-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20191130-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20191130-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20191130-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20191130-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20191130-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20191130-WA0004.jpg

·
Registered
395 Posts
That’s a fantastic price. Well done Tats. Re too much sealant, one member who did the job himself actually quoted ‘applying to much sealant is not a problem’ so don’t worry about that (better than not enough). Now the problem of drying the carpets. As I’ve stated previously, if you can lift the plastic sills on the bottom lip, this may help in lifting the carpet. Try running a dehumidifier in the car (beg, borrow or steal if you don’t have one) & always run with aircon on & do this throughout the winter. Whenever possible run with rear windows down a bit to help air circulation in the rear of the car (wear a scarf if it’s to cold 😂😂😂).
You’re going to get condensation inside the car on the windscreen throughout this winter so don’t assume the problem is still there. Certainly looks to me that the problem is solved.
Fingers crossed that the carpet dries out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi does anyone know why the rear passenger side footwell would be full of water, the door seals are good, the carpet at the side of the footwell going over the inner cills is bone dry and there doesn't appear to be any missing grommets under the car on that side. I wonered if the rear screen washer feed pipe had a leak but the washer reservior bottle is not emptying out.
It seems to be a bit of a job to remove the carpet on the A CLASS.

Any suggestions please.

Roy in Essex
I've got the same problem I got the car in the summer and never noticed till the bad weather come.. it I did get a spoiler fitted so I am looking into that..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Charlie, Christabelle.
Had made car done today at a local body shop all for £40!!

He went a little heavy handed with the Tiger Sealant but it should do the job :)
Now I'm tasked with drying out the carpets so time will tell if this resolves the issue.

Attached some pics for you all (sorry if they are not in any order View attachment 4276 View attachment 4277 View attachment 4278 View attachment 4279 View attachment 4280 View attachment 4277 View attachment 4278 View attachment 4279 View attachment 4280 View attachment 4276 View attachment 4276 View attachment 4277 View attachment 4278 View attachment 4279 View attachment 4280
That’s amazing! My car is in tomorrow, so I’ll keep you posted 🙈

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did tj

Did they advise you what recalls they were?
Fingers crossed they can assist you with the flooding too!
So my car went in on Weds, they quoted £1097 to fix the vents, leak and carpets. Advised they have checked and had an offer of goodwill rejected, but gave me a telephone number to complain to, to see if they will help. The chap quoted me a min of £300 to fix the vents, but not inc carpet which I would have to dry out myself. I'll call and complain but and will use this thread to support me, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That’s a fantastic price. Well done Tats. Re too much sealant, one member who did the job himself actually quoted ‘applying to much sealant is not a problem’ so don’t worry about that (better than not enough). Now the problem of drying the carpets. As I’ve stated previously, if you can lift the plastic sills on the bottom lip, this may help in lifting the carpet. Try running a dehumidifier in the car (beg, borrow or steal if you don’t have one) & always run with aircon on & do this throughout the winter. Whenever possible run with rear windows down a bit to help air circulation in the rear of the car (wear a scarf if it’s to cold 😂😂😂).
You’re going to get condensation inside the car on the windscreen throughout this winter so don’t assume the problem is still there. Certainly looks to me that the problem is solved.
Hey Charlie,

So far so good!!! It's rained last night and non stop today, no new water leak so fingers crossed the repair worked.
The carpet is almost dry now too, been up and down the motorway with the aircon, footwell heater on full blast with the window open!!!
I got a dehumidifier for my car too that I have placed on the carpet, I think has helped with the condensation alot!!!!

This forum has literally saved me silly amounts of money.
If anyone is in the Derby area and need the same repair doing let me know and I'll give you the contact details :) let's put Merc out of business lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
So my car went in on Weds, they quoted £1097 to fix the vents, leak and carpets. Advised they have checked and had an offer of goodwill rejected, but gave me a telephone number to complain to, to see if they will help. The chap quoted me a min of £300 to fix the vents, but not inc carpet which I would have to dry out myself. I'll call and complain but and will use this thread to support me, so fingers crossed.
Omg that is shocking, how can they justify that amount and clearly they are making up prices. Ben from parts got me 75percent discount without any issues, that was like £300 payable by me after discount (carpets and air vents) (obviously I didn't take them up on the offer)
I personally feel you won't get any joy out of the complaints department (hope you do though), they are just there to rob you blind and don't give a ****. This should have been a recall, it's a well known error too. I cannot understand how they can justify making their customers pay for this!!

If you want the job doing for 40 pounds in Derby, let me know and I'll give you the contact details.
I spent :
: £14 air vents
: £40 body repair shop
:£11 Tiger seal from halfords
I tipped the repair guy £10 too cos I was so chuffed with the price.

My carpet is almost dry, in a matter of a week of running the heater in my car whilst driving to work and back.

Hope all goes well for you, keep us all posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Omg that is shocking, how can they justify that amount and clearly they are making up prices. Ben from parts got me 75percent discount without any issues, that was like £300 payable by me after discount (carpets and air vents) (obviously I didn't take them up on the offer)
I personally feel you won't get any joy out of the complaints department (hope you do though), they are just there to rob you blind and don't give a ****. This should have been a recall, it's a well known error too. I cannot understand how they can justify making their customers pay for this!!

If you want the job doing for 40 pounds in Derby, let me know and I'll give you the contact details.
I spent :
: £14 air vents
: £40 body repair shop
:£11 Tiger seal from halfords
I tipped the repair guy £10 too cos I was so chuffed with the price.

My carpet is almost dry, in a matter of a week of running the heater in my car whilst driving to work and back.

Hope all goes well for you, keep us all posted.
Thankyou so much, I may take u up on that offer. I must admit I’m not holding out much hope. Glad yours sounds like it’s sorted too. I’m going to see what they say and then take it from there x

301 - 320 of 360 Posts