Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

361 - 380 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys, only just getting round to ordering parts to fix mine myself. What is the specific parts called please? I rang Mercedes and said rear vent but it didn’t sound like what I was after. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys, only just getting round to ordering parts to fix mine myself. What is the specific parts called please? I rang Mercedes and said rear vent but it didn’t sound like what I was after. Thanks in advance
It's on the previous page. image copied below.

An update, I bought my car in 2015 (it's a 2013) from local Merc dealer, and had it serviced ever since with them, it's due in on Thursday for it's next service and they are doing the inspection for free at the same time.

They have told me not to continue to dry the car out myself before the service/inspection and they will be pushing Merc to fix the car at their cost. Will update you when I know more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, just made an account to say thankyou and to share my experience. I have a 2013 A-Class and this water problem started a couple of weeks ago. I initially thought i'd spilt a bottle of water and put a towel down to soak up the last bits of humidity. It was rear driver side for me as it's a left hand drive. I went to take the towel out yesterday and it was really quite wet. Windows properly closed. No sign of water on the vertical carpet areas. Seals of the door intact. So i began to search what it could be and google led me here. Thank heavens! I ordered the vents from Mercedes this morning (19,03 euros) and my car is booked into a local garage to have them fitted on Wednesday. Not even going to try with Mercedes as my car is too old. I am disgusted that Mercedes doesn't accept liability beyond warranty and didn't recall. My dealership once used my warranty to get another customers' car fixed. I don't trust them at all but that's another story! So just to let you know that this can happen anytime as it's taken my vents 7 years to start leaking! I keep my car interior regularly vacuumed so would have noticed if there was water before. Thanks to everyone on this thread.:)(y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi does anyone know why the rear passenger side footwell would be full of water, the door seals are good, the carpet at the side of the footwell going over the inner cills is bone dry and there doesn't appear to be any missing grommets under the car on that side. I wonered if the rear screen washer feed pipe had a leak but the washer reservior bottle is not emptying out.
It seems to be a bit of a job to remove the carpet on the A CLASS.

Any suggestions please.

Roy in Essex
Hi, just made an account to say thankyou and to share my experience. I have a 2013 A-Class and this water problem started a couple of weeks ago. I initially thought i'd spilt a bottle of water and put a towel down to soak up the last bits of humidity. It was rear driver side for me as it's a left hand drive. I went to take the towel out yesterday and it was really quite wet. Windows properly closed. No sign of water on the vertical carpet areas. Seals of the door intact. So i began to search what it could be and google led me here. Thank heavens! I ordered the vents from Mercedes this morning (19,03 euros) and my car is booked into a local garage to have them fitted on Wednesday. Not even going to try with Mercedes as my car is too old. I am disgusted that Mercedes doesn't accept liability beyond warranty and didn't recall. My dealership once used my warranty to get another customers' car fixed. I don't trust them at all but that's another story! So just to let you know that this can happen anytime as it's taken my vents 7 years to start leaking! I keep my car interior regularly vacuumed so would have noticed if there was water before. Thanks to everyone on this thread.:)(y)
For those who have been turned away by MB - My A180 2013/14 has the problem with water in the passenger footwall caused by poorly sealed vents behind the rear bumper. Vent part No. A1698300342 available from Amazon as is Tiger Seal, nylon trim tools and 10mm box spanner. Takes about 3hrs slow time. See

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those who have been turned away by MB - My A180 2013/14 has the problem with water in the passenger footwall caused by poorly sealed vents behind the rear bumper. Vent part No. A1698300342 available from Amazon as is Tiger Seal, nylon trim tools and 10mm box spanner. Takes about 3hrs slow time. See
Sorry correction see

·
Registered
14 Posts
So my car was due in on the 6th for a service and FREE inspection of the soaked rear passenger footwell.

I got a call the day before telling me that there are two recalls that they need to do to the car.

1. Software update on ECU
2. Air Conditioning System recall.

Obviously disappointed that still MB have not done a recall on the faulty vents.

Service was postponed as parts for recall not in and car was booked in for tomorrow, the 11th March, just had a call to say the recall parts are not here and therefore postpone again until the 18th.

As my dealer has told me explicitly NOT to dry out the rear of the car and it's absolutely chucking it down and forcast looks the same for the coming week, it's sort of playing into my hands of getting them to pay for the damage to the carpet.

Will update you when I finally get the car in and a response from them and MB HQ

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick update. My local (not Mercedes!) garage put in the new vents today. I also brought along a tube of recommended mastic to be sure he didn't just clip and go! He charged €95,40 to do the job. So pretty cheap. Not worth fighting over the problem with Mercedes who are at fault but would never admit it! Thanks to all again. If I have any problems with more water I'll let you know! ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Car went in for service and Free inspection yesterday, as well as the 2 recalls (ECU update and Air Conditioning) they have the car for 3 days for the recalls and inspection so should hear back tomorrow what they find.

I wonder if they will try to tell me the leak is not from the vents ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
So an update, car stayed in for about 10 days in the end, took them 6 days to do the aircon and ECU updates.....

Then I get a call from them telling me the inspection has been done (that was going to cost me £140 but they did it gratis) and they confirm the car has water in the rear footwell and they need to do a further inspection which will cost £245 plus tax !

Several emails back and forward starting with so you were going to charge me £140 to open the rear door and put your hand on the carpet, that there was no mention of cost of further inspection (how much will the 3rd and 4th inspections cost?), pointing out the parts cost £15 so why would I pay the them £245 to inspect if they need replacing, reminding them that in 2016 they sold a car to me with a known fault and have serviced and done recalls on said car ever since, through to threats of solicitors and motor trader ombudsman.

New vents are on order and being fitted free of charge, with a promise the carpet will be replaced if it is damaged in any way.

I seriously did not need the stress or the arguments to get something repaired that should have been done under a recall anyway.

Now I need to find out why my passenger mirror indicator has stopped working since they had it, also why it the exhaust sounds much louder and drives different through the gears in auto since the recalls.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue. 2013 A class, only in footwell, nothing in the boot or from the door seals. Has happen 3 times now when driving in the rain. Full on puddle

·
Registered
3 Posts
So an update, car stayed in for about 10 days in the end, took them 6 days to do the aircon and ECU updates.....

Then I get a call from them telling me the inspection has been done (that was going to cost me £140 but they did it gratis) and they confirm the car has water in the rear footwell and they need to do a further inspection which will cost £245 plus tax !

Several emails back and forward starting with so you were going to charge me £140 to open the rear door and put your hand on the carpet, that there was no mention of cost of further inspection (how much will the 3rd and 4th inspections cost?), pointing out the parts cost £15 so why would I pay the them £245 to inspect if they need replacing, reminding them that in 2016 they sold a car to me with a known fault and have serviced and done recalls on said car ever since, through to threats of solicitors and motor trader ombudsman.

New vents are on order and being fitted free of charge, with a promise the carpet will be replaced if it is damaged in any way.

I seriously did not need the stress or the arguments to get something repaired that should have been done under a recall anyway.

Now I need to find out why my passenger mirror indicator has stopped working since they had it, also why it the exhaust sounds much louder and drives different through the gears in auto since the recalls.

Mike
My car is going in for the same recalls and I have the puddle issue, but from what you’ve said I may be as well to just ask an independent garage to fit new vents. I’ve been through the same with other dealers and I’m not sure I’m ready for the stress and arguments either

·
Registered
14 Posts
My car is going in for the same recalls and I have the puddle issue, but from what you’ve said I may be as well to just ask an independent garage to fit new vents. I’ve been through the same with other dealers and I’m not sure I’m ready for the stress and arguments either
I personally don't see why you should pay someone to fix Mercedes manufacturing issue. I would print off a few parts of this thread where it explains the issue and how to fix and a few parts where people have had the work done for free.

Open up a case with MB UK if your dealer isn't interested in helping (your dealer and MB will deny all knowledge of there being a known fault at first) and insist on an inspection charge, then a contribution from you for the repair.... I just kept to my guns and threatened them with the motor trades ombudsman and in the end it didn't cost me a penny.

Depending on how much the dealer is on your side you can get this done without too much hassle, my dealer won't ever be getting any business from me, as they were less than helpful including doing the fix then trying to extort £41 "contribution" from me for a week until relenting and giving me the car back.

After the repair I found the reversing sensors had a fault after getting my car back from them, their response was they were not interested in even looking at if they had done something wrong, which was a shocking response. Yesterday we took the bumper off (as a new didn't rectify the error) and low and behold they had caught a sensor cable and broken it when fitting the bumper back on during the repair of the vent. We did a temporary fix and sent them pictures of the broken cable telling them we want the repair done with a replacement loom for the reversing sensor and reimbursement of the cost to have an independent garage to find the issue and do the temporary fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you, I will do, I have to call them tomorrow as I was booked in for my recalls a month ago. They cancelled the night before as not all parts were in, I’ve chased them since but still not booked in. I will cover off the vent with them too, I’m currently changing towels daily to mop I’m up the water

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would rent or buy a de-humidifier as the carpet will be soaked through and if not dried out thoroughly will go mouldy and need replacing which is then mega expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All

I have a A250 engineered by AMG bought new in May 13.

Last week I noticed the footwell behind the passenger seat had a puddle and the water was covering the mat.

Booked the car into the Mercedes Dealership in leigh on sea, essex where I bought the car. After having it for a full day the dealershio called up to say they couldnt work out what the problem was and would have to keep it for another day.

today I received a call to say that they had found the issue and it so happens that it is a design fault that Mercedes are aware of. They said water is getting in via the rear headlights and also the styling air vents in the rear bumper.

They said that new seals have been designed by Mercedes and they will fit them under warranty. Was told this will take 3 days to do as they need to remove the interior to dry the foam type sound damping membrane the sits on top on the cars base. They said need to check for further damage as this would have been soaking up water since I have had the car.

Not happy they that are aware of the issue and haven't done a recall.
Hiya,
I am having a similar issue in my A class . Lots of water in rear left footwell. Did you identify what the problem was ? And if so how did you fix it . Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Salman

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there, if it's a 2013-2015 you need to start at the beginning of this thread and read through I cannot remember what page but I am sure there are the part numbers listed and details on how to fix.

It's basically the cabin vents under the rear bumper which due to a manufacturing fault will fail at some time, Mercedes are aware of the issue but never did a recall, some have had it fixed under warranty and some outside of warranty (but prepare for an argument with your dealer and Mercedes UK who will deny all knowledge of the issue).

We managed to get ours fixed outside of warranty this year (it's a 2013 car), however the dealer did break a reversing sensor wire during the process which I am not in arguments with them about.

I love the car but it's the last Mercedes car I will ever buy after the appalling after sales service we have had.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this problem shortly after purchasing my a class.
definitely a cabin vent seal behind the rear bumper.
the dealership I bought mine from replaced mine and haven’t had any issues since.

·
Registered
1 Posts

It comes in through some vents under the rear lights, fills the boot up, I took my carpet out to have a look, then tracks down to rear footwell.

Most / all MB garages should sort it out for you
How do you get the boot carpet out? did you have to remove everything?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem I have a180 2014 model bought not from main dealer and not serviced by mercedes but i is serviced from my local trusty garage, phoned my local mercedes dealer and have been told there will be a 165 pound investigation fee to find problem clearly reading all the same problems this is a known fault where do I stand. Thanks any help welcome

361 - 380 of 421 Posts