Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

381 - 400 of 421 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
You local garage should be able to do the rectification work for around/under £300.

M-B is very unlikely to contribute to a car that old and not sold by a franchised dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok im going to try and fight my case with the dealer and if I get no where will take car to local garage only thing I’m worried about is the water that is currently under the carpet will this cause rust and further problems down the line I have used a vaccum and managed to suck most of the water out

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

I am hoping someone here can help me.
We purchased an early 2015 A220D AMG Sport recently and found the rear passenger footwell full of water. The supplying car supermarket dealer who are useless replaced the door seal claiming this was the problem and washed their hands of it. I thought it unlikely to be the seal as the water is ONLY on the base of the floor not the sides, much like everyone describes in this thread. They dried the car out and it remained dry for 3 weeks then suddenly it had a lot of water once more in the rear pass footwell. So having researched I found this thread and proceeded to order the two vents from Mercedes and I spent 3hours carefully removing the bumper and replacing the vents and drying the carpet out.

When we took the rear bumper off we found towbar electrics had been routed through the rear left vent so we rewired the towbar through a grommet instead, drilling the rubber grommet so the seal round the cable is tight and is central and leaving hte vent to do its job without wires wrongly through it!

3weeks pass and the car is bone dry and suddenly bang, the rear passenger footwell has water in it again exactly as before.

One thing to note - I was told by Merc parts guy that the seals just pop in and they do not need to be sealed with anything else as they are a revised part so I followed his advice, cleaned the surfaces thoroughly and made sure they were seated Is my lack of using tigerflex or similar my issue? The boot floor / wheel well is bone dry.

I am really at a loss. The amount of water seems to be less this time. I have not had to spend hours vacuuming it out / running heaters, it has dried by itself

The car does have a panroof, is there a drain I can check?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sorry to hear of your continued problems
It could be that there was some water had travelled forward under the seat to the front carpets & now after use that water could have moved to the rear, do you park facing downwards on a hill?
You could look at the drain windscreen vents in the front scuttle panel & check those?
Tiger seal is recommended as it forms a good seal & lets face it the original vents on most early A Class's have failed as they were just pushed in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I joined this to say thanks for the valuable information on here.
my story,wife’s car springs a leak rear footwell about 3 years ago (model is 2013 a class), we presume window left open etc. Anyway long story short , thanks to this thread, I was able to remove bumper and change vents, take out rear carpet and now drying, after a couple of days water starts to trickle back in @#&£#@😬🤬, further investigation that water has made it into the front footwell and flowing between the front and rear passenger footwells, carpet now removed and now drying😬😬. I would say to anyone thinking that they will dry out with some vacuum and heating on, if you have water pooling the carpets, they really need to come out, I reckon I’ve removed 5/6 litres of water, also in the front footwell there are electronics that are too close to the floor for this fault. Next email is to Mercedes...I aint holding my breath though. Good luck and thanks again.👍

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I just started getting water in the rear footwell (driver’s side). A real pain in the a**.

Would you have any more information on the recall? Would be great to have when I bring it to the garage.
Thanks

Posted this in another thread but Mercedes Benz Stockport fixed the rear vent fault for free (and dried out my carpets over the course of a week).

It was an official recall on the 2013 A-Class.

I just phoned up Mercedes Stockport, got through to the service department, explained the problem and they booked me in. They said it was a common issue and knew exactly how to fix it.

Not had any problems since they did (it's been 2 months in our lovely weather).

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
@A45Lux Please see this thread, especially post #9.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All

I have a A250 engineered by AMG bought new in May 13.

Last week I noticed the footwell behind the passenger seat had a puddle and the water was covering the mat.

Booked the car into the Mercedes Dealership in leigh on sea, essex where I bought the car. After having it for a full day the dealershio called up to say they couldnt work out what the problem was and would have to keep it for another day.

today I received a call to say that they had found the issue and it so happens that it is a design fault that Mercedes are aware of. They said water is getting in via the rear headlights and also the styling air vents in the rear bumper.

They said that new seals have been designed by Mercedes and they will fit them under warranty. Was told this will take 3 days to do as they need to remove the interior to dry the foam type sound damping membrane the sits on top on the cars base. They said need to check for further damage as this would have been soaking up water since I have had the car.

Not happy they that are aware of the issue and haven't done a recall.
Mine the same rear foot well and boot will they fix it for free ? Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I joined this to say thanks for the valuable information on here.
my story,wife’s car springs a leak rear footwell about 3 years ago (model is 2013 a class), we presume window left open etc. Anyway long story short , thanks to this thread, I was able to remove bumper and change vents, take out rear carpet and now drying, after a couple of days water starts to trickle back in @#&£#@😬🤬, further investigation that water has made it into the front footwell and flowing between the front and rear passenger footwells, carpet now removed and now drying😬😬. I would say to anyone thinking that they will dry out with some vacuum and heating on, if you have water pooling the carpets, they really need to come out, I reckon I’ve removed 5/6 litres of water, also in the front footwell there are electronics that are too close to the floor for this fault. Next email is to Mercedes...I aint holding my breath though. Good luck and thanks again.👍
Would like to add a bit more information to this, if you are doing this job yourself check the bottom of the boot and take out all carpets, I thought that my boot was dry until further investigation.
Just waiting on the next downpour to see if I have cured the problem 😬😬🤞

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would like to add a bit more information to this, if you are doing this job yourself check the bottom of the boot and take out all carpets, I thought that my boot was dry until further investigation.
Just waiting on the next downpour to see if I have cured the problem 😬😬🤞
I had undetected water ingress due to faulty vents and knew nothing about this problem.It penetrated the electrics. Dangerously, twice, my safety functions failed when driving. I paid £2000 for new battery and electrics. The fault still needs repairing, plus the cost of scam diagnostic tests. Mercedes could have saved me this if they had put out an alert about the vents. No “goodwill payment” is forthcoming. I’m currently writing to the CEO then, probably, the Ombudsman. I’m new to this group and haven’t worked out how to post so I’m venting in a reply. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had undetected water ingress due to faulty vents and knew nothing about this problem.It penetrated the electrics. Dangerously, twice, my safety functions failed when driving. I paid £2000 for new battery and electrics. The fault still needs repairing, plus the cost of scam diagnostic tests. Mercedes could have saved me this if they had put out an alert about the vents. No “goodwill payment” is forthcoming. I’m currently writing to the CEO then, probably, the Ombudsman. I’m new to this group and haven’t worked out how to post so I’m venting in a reply. Thank you.
That's awful to hear, I think I just about have the same issue, the water was risingin the front foot well.
Good luck with it. 🤞

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
I’m new to this group and haven’t worked out how to post so I’m venting in a reply.
If you are posting about an existing topic, we prefer to keep everything together in as few threads as possible, rather than hundreds of threads about the same topic :)

So keep posting here if its about water ingress.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all have spoken with mercedes and they have said the part number for the new modified vent is A1768302700 they are priced at £8.85 each + VAT.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all have spoken with mercedes and they have said the part number for the new modified vent is A1768302700 they are priced at £8.85 each + VAT.
Hope this helps.
The cost of the parts is the easy bit, the rest is the nightmare.

Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all I replaced the rear vents over the weekend and noticed today after some rain on Monday it’s still wet/fresh water, do you have to wait for a bit till you get all water out your car or have I done something wrong and really confused

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
Did you use Tiger Seal?

Did you remove all the seats and the whole carpet completely to dry out over a number of days using a heater and dehumidifier?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all I replaced the rear vents over the weekend and noticed today after some rain on Monday it’s still wet/fresh water, do you have to wait for a bit till you get all water out your car or have I done something wrong and really confused
After a week of drying my rear carpets and still using the car I still found small pools of water, unsure of whether it was residual water/condensation pooling, so as a precaution I enhanced the sealant on the new vents just to be sure. Not a great time of the year to do this.
On closer inspection of the area of water ingress its clearly be happening for some time. I'm almost at 2 weeks with the front and rear carpets out and a good downpour tonight... Damp test tomorrow 🤞

·
Registered
195 Posts
Can i suggest something? Why all the members of this forum, who are facing this problem, gather together and make an official complain to Mercedes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there resently got a A class mercedes A180 13 plate and the common problem with water in the rear passenger footwell, knowing that the problem is most likely the vents behide the back bumper i ordered a pair thats this weekend task however does anyone know the path from the vents to the footwell it takes eg does it fill the boot up first?
Any help much appreciated, having industrial grade car carpet cleaner im going to stuck it out trying without removing the carpets as thats another task in its self !

381 - 400 of 421 Posts