Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly clued up on Consumer Protection Rights but not particularly so regarding cars. I bought a 5 month old A250 from a MB dealer in Norwich on the 30th September 2019. There have been a significant number of faults and minor niggles which have been looked at by my local MB dealer in Bristol. In December the dealer had the car for a week to look at the 12 problems I had discovered and it was returned to me with many software updates but just one problem, a replacement cup holder, resolved. I took the car back to the dealer this week and after 24 hours it was returned supposedly with all problems resolved, some are intermittant so I will have to wait and see on these but of the others, despite more s/w updates remain.

My understanding is that as this was a used car my rights are different than if bought new but I have the right to reject the car within 6 months if problems have not been resolved. I have kept the selling dealership informed of the problems and asked for their assistance but they have just pushed me back to my Bristol dealer. It now seems clear that the Bristol dealer is unable to resolve these problems so I need to pass this problem on to some other party, certainly the selling dealership but I wonder if there is a direct route into MB. I have tried Customer Service in the past and also the CEO's office but they seem to be a waste of breath so wonder if there is another more effective route into MB via technical support for instance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm fairly clued up on Consumer Protection Rights but not particularly so regarding cars. I bought a 5 month old A250 from a MB dealer in Norwich on the 30th September 2019. There have been a significant number of faults and minor niggles which have been looked at by my local MB dealer in Bristol. In December the dealer had the car for a week to look at the 12 problems I had discovered and it was returned to me with many software updates but just one problem, a replacement cup holder, resolved. I took the car back to the dealer this week and after 24 hours it was returned supposedly with all problems resolved, some are intermittant so I will have to wait and see on these but of the others, despite more s/w updates remain.

My understanding is that as this was a used car my rights are different than if bought new but I have the right to reject the car within 6 months if problems have not been resolved. I have kept the selling dealership informed of the problems and asked for their assistance but they have just pushed me back to my Bristol dealer. It now seems clear that the Bristol dealer is unable to resolve these problems so I need to pass this problem on to some other party, certainly the selling dealership but I wonder if there is a direct route into MB. I have tried Customer Service in the past and also the CEO's office but they seem to be a waste of breath so wonder if there is another more effective route into MB via technical support for instance.
As far as I know you have 30 days after purchase to reject the car. Would you be able to tell us what the actual faults. Also there’s a mercedes button in the car you can press to talk to someone, they seem more useful than dealers to me as they actively try to help you rather than fobbing you off.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sorry to hear you're still having problems with your A250 @Macgd016

As you bought the car from a dealer, you have similar rights even though you bought used, to those as if you had bought new.

As you have gone over 30 days since purchase, it's going to be more difficult, although not impossible to reject the car; however, as you are still within the 6 month threshold the following applies (cut and paste from the AA website Your legal rights | AA ):

=====
Between 30 days and 6 months
If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months you’re entitled to a repair, replacement or refund.
  • It’s assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise.
  • Unless you’ve agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you’re entitled to a refund.
  • In the event of a refund following a failed attempt at repair during the first six months the seller may make a 'reasonable' adjustment to the amount refunded to take account of the use that you’ve had of the vehicle.
After 6 months
The burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time of delivery if you want to pursue a claim for repair or replacement.
=====

Depending on the nature of the faults, it should be easy enough for you to prove they have been there since you bought the car. And remember the onus is on the dealer to prove otherwise, so the balance of power is in your favour.

HTH

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear you're still having problems with your A250 @Macgd016

As you bought the car from a dealer, you have similar rights even though you bought used, to those as if you had bought new.

As you have gone over 30 days since purchase, it's going to be more difficult, although not impossible to reject the car; however, as you are still within the 6 month threshold the following applies (cut and paste from the AA website Your legal rights | AA ):

=====
Between 30 days and 6 months
If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months you’re entitled to a repair, replacement or refund.
  • It’s assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise.
  • Unless you’ve agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you’re entitled to a refund.
  • In the event of a refund following a failed attempt at repair during the first six months the seller may make a 'reasonable' adjustment to the amount refunded to take account of the use that you’ve had of the vehicle.
After 6 months
The burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time of delivery if you want to pursue a claim for repair or replacement.
=====

Depending on the nature of the faults, it should be easy enough for you to prove they have been there since you bought the car. And remember the onus is on the dealer to prove otherwise, so the balance of power is in your favour.

HTH
Thanks for this, its pretty much the same as I have read elsewhere but nicely put so I may well cut and paste it into an email to the dealer.

Most of the problems are small niggles, such as when removing the parcel shelf the clips come with it, that they really should be able to have sorted but some are significant faults with advertised features but again these shouldn't be too hard to resolve. Annoyingly two are intermittent so I will just have to wait and see, these are car doors that do not always lock or unlock by touch (and yes I have been VERY careful how I do this) and the Entry/Exit seat position that sometimes starts to move to the driving position when I get in but then stops moving & returns to the Exit position, neither are critical but annoying none the less.
The two that I do want fixed are Speed Limit Assist which very frequently shows the wrong speed limit or no limit at all and PersonalPIO's that since updating to FU2 do not give a warning.

I like the car so dont want to have to go down the rejection route if I can help it but equally I dont see why I should have to put up with what is essentially a new car with advertised features that dont work correctly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The two that I do want fixed are Speed Limit Assist which very frequently shows the wrong speed limit or no limit at all and PersonalPIO's that since updating to FU2 do not give a warning.

I like the car so dont want to have to go down the rejection route if I can help it but equally I dont see why I should have to put up with what is essentially a new car with advertised features that dont work correctly.
I don't think you'll have much luck with these two. The Speed Limit Assist relies on decoding visuals of the local road signs, so will sometimes come up with wrong information - this is an inherent problem on all such systems. The POI's not giving a warning is a general problem with the FU2 update that Mercedes are still yet to resolve - it's on all cars, not just yours.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think you'll have much luck with these two. The Speed Limit Assist relies on decoding visuals of the local road signs, so will sometimes come up with wrong information - this is an inherent problem on all such systems. The POI's not giving a warning is a general problem with the FU2 update that Mercedes are still yet to resolve - it's on all cars, not just yours.
Firstly the camera recognition works very well, its the use of map data that isnt working. Secondly, because MB have an inherent fault with all their A Class cars proves that there is a fault with my car. Just as an aside though some members have been told by CS that MB have not been informed of any problem with PersonalPOI's despite a number of owners reporting it to MB.

In any case I dont want to reject the car I just want to use the threat as a leaver to get them off their bums and fix all of the faults.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts