Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pictures of it:

This is the first review I've read (From Auto Express)

The Mercedes CLA is in a class of its own right now ""“ with its head-turning looks and compact saloon practicality it's carved out yet another niche. But as the Audi A3 saloon and BMW 2 Series are set to join the ranks next year, has this car got what it takes to stay at the top?

The signs are good. The CLA's design alone has the potential to drop the average age of Mercedes saloon buyers by at least a decade. The swooping roofline, curvaceous panels and stylish headlights all help it to follow in the style-driven footsteps of the larger CLS.

We drove the CLA 220 CDI model, powered by a 168bhp 2.1-litre diesel engine. It's set to be joined later in the year by a 1.6 petrol CLA 180 and a more powerful CLA 250 petrol.

First impressions are of a car that shines brightly in some areas, but suffers quite badly in others. And this is mainly due to the A-Class-derived small car platform.

First, and worst, the CLA is 40mm longer than the C-Class saloon, yet it feels much more cramped in the back seats, with restricted headroom and less-than-generous knee room. However, to compensate, there's a deep 470-litre boot ""“ that's 11 litres larger than in the C-Class.

On the plus side, the interior looks and feels every bit a match for those of the brand's more expensive models. It has just the right mix of A-Class-inspired touches and its own flavour, with a large feature panel on the dashboard adding a sense of width and space.

We've driven this 2.1-litre diesel in other Mercedes, and always been a little disappointed with how its clattery note jars with the rest of the car's impressive refinement. Sadly, this is no different in the CLA ""“ but there's no denying the strong pace on offer.

It's not down to straight performance figures, either (the official 0-62mph sprint time is 8.2 seconds). The engine pulls cleanly at almost every point in the rev range. There's 350Nm of torque from 1,400rpm, with the 168bhp making itself felt from 3,400 to 4,000rpm. It doesn't matter whether you're on full throttle or ambling along in traffic, the engine always seems to have plenty left in reserve.

Our car came as standard with a seven-speed dual-clutch box, which occasionally shifted down with a jolt. When we put this to Mercedes, it said it was down to an untested software patch. However, to us it just generally felt a little less crisp than in other Mercs we've driven.

While the steering is a little slow, the rest of the package is well rounded. The suspension is well judged for a variety of surfaces, while the handling is tremendously competent without ever really encouraging you to drive aggressively. Instead, it felt calm and reassuring.

The biggest issue with this car, though, is rear visibility. The thick B-pillars and even thicker C-pillars combine with the passenger's headrest to make a pretty substantial blind spot.

Despite this, the CLA is a very credible, stylish and luxurious saloon with all the qualities you'd expect from a Mercedes. It's not perfect, but it looks good enough and drives well enough for you to forgive its sins. There's still a space at the top of this class waiting to be filled, though ""“ so it's over to Audi and BMW.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Very Nice. A real head turner.
CLA220 CDI would be the one for me.

Edited by: mixonic2

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't realise it would be larger than a C-Class.. It makes me wonder what they'll do to the C?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've seen the diamond grille on the CLA is going to be available on all engine specs and if I remember correctly be a standard when opting for AMG Sport. I was really disappointed this wasn't the same for the A Class as I love the diamond grille but couldn't persuade myself off the Diesel engine!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Dan said:
I didn't realise it would be larger than a C-Class.. It makes me wonder what they'll do to the C?
It will be interesting to see one in the flesh. Yes, it is apparently longer than a C Class which kind of defeats the object - unless as you suggest, there are plans for the C

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Danph said:
I've seen the diamond grille on the CLA is going to be available on all engine specs and if I remember correctly be a standard when opting for AMG Sport. I was really disappointed this wasn't the same for the A Class as I love the diamond grille but couldn't persuade myself off the Diesel engine!

Have a look at this note here:http://www.aclassclub.co.uk/forum/new-sport-accessories-for-the-aclass_topic163.html- I think Merc are coming out with some sports accessories for the A-Class including the diamond grill.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looks-wise, it's beautiful. I really like the styling Mercedes come up with - just looks so regal and Germanic (in a good way!).

I think Audi have taken a step back in the looks department. They're looking very stale, and to me, BMW have never looked that great.

The pictures here don't do it justice. I saw a video of it in action before and it looks sublime.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The CLA is the most beautiful Merc i've sen so far. If I had the money, I would definately change my A250 for a CLA250 any day!

·
Registered
175 Posts
The CLA has always confused me because it looks just as good, if not slightly better, than the CLS.. so.. just buy the cheaper CLA instead and max out the options, right? I had a CLS as a courtesy car from MB and I really wasn't impressed.. but maybe I'm missing what they're about.

The distinct between the C and CLA also confuses me now. The CLA just looks a slightly more cramped version of what the C should have become..

I'm yet to work out how I'm going about buying an A45 but the CLA45 is extremely tempting..

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
bluerims said:
The CLA has always confused me because it looks just as good, if not slightly better, than the CLS.. so.. just buy the cheaper CLA instead and max out the options, right? I had a CLS as a courtesy car from MB and I really wasn't impressed.. but maybe I'm missing what they're about.

The distinct between the C and CLA also confuses me now. The CLA just looks a slightly more cramped version of what the C should have become..

I'm yet to work out how I'm going about buying an A45 but the CLA45 is extremely tempting..
Your flirting with another choice of car lol!!! CLA not for me, love the bonnet but that's where it stops. It looks all to squashed!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sat in one (Engineered by AMG) at a dealers while deciding on an A45 or CLA AMG 4MATIC.IMO it looks much better than the hatch and has a good boot.
What let it down was the read passenger area particularly the headroom. It was very claustrophobic.
Other black mark was the pillarless doors. There seemed plenty of opportunity for getting little hands squashed.
Main point was the extra cost over the hatch which made me go for the hatch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dealership lent me one as a courtesy car whilst I was waiting for my A-Class due to the mega-delays. It's certainly a head turner, but I couldn't stand driving it. It felt cumbersome and slow. Much prefer my A-Class.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not a fan of the CLA, not sure that down scaling an SLS has worked for me. Prefer the straight A Class. But it will sell and I'm sure others love it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts