Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you drive with the eco rating on the dash (smooth acceleration, coasting, economic score percentage)?

I picked my motor up last Friday and have been driving very economically since, running the engine in. I had been hovering around the 50%-60% mark, but this morning, it jumped up to 75% on my way to work. May be the car is settling in a bit :)

What percentages have you lot been getting?

Also, are there any best practices for the ECO Start/Stop? Is it ok for it to kick in every time you stop at traffic lights - i.e. - regularly? I just question whether restarting the engine every couple of minutes in a heavy traffic light zone does any harm to the motor?

On a side note, I'm so impressed with the quality of the drive, the smoothness of the gears and the lovely whistle of the turbo under acceleration that I think it will turn me in to a more relaxed driver :)

Edited by: jamiednm

·
Registered
147 Posts
jamiednm said:
lovely whistle of the turbo under acceleration that I think it will turn me in to a more relaxed driver :)
That usually makes me a more aggressive driver
That's why I usually get crappy scores on acceleration

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I am getting top marks for acceleration and smooth driving, but not so good on the coasting! Anyone have any tips? Glad you are enjoying your car! Jamiednm.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lynne, I love it!

What sort of overall percentage score are you getting? I am wondering whether it is possible to get, or get close to, 100%.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Someone had a very high score, I think 100% but it certainly was not me!
I don't know how to improve the coasting score!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lynne said:
I am getting top marks for acceleration and smooth driving, but not so good on the coasting! Anyone have any tips? Glad you are enjoying your car! Jamiednm.

I'm sure Mercedes have a different understanding of coasting than I have. I always understood it as putting the clutch down while rolling down a hill or approaching a junction. The A Class manual suggests they view it as smooth deceleration when approaching a stop. I imagine that means lifting off the gas in enough time to slow down, through the gears, with only minimal braking.

Makes sense, the Eco marks you for smooth acceleration, it seems right to mark you for smooth slowing too.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Coasting is the only one I always get a high score for.

Its about allowing the car to 'roll' so that you are neither accelerating or braking. Its about judging the road/traffic in front so that you don't need to waste energy by going straight from accelerating to braking if that makes sense.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been getting consistantly 83% until this morning. I had a trip through rush hour traffic to one of the hospitals and ended up at 47% with smooth driving almost non existant (I didn't think I was that bad!). It must have been the boot full of equipment that did it

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My car is Automatic, when I am slowing down I stop pressing on the accelerator, I thought I was doing the right thing? Still a mystery,

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would not advise putting the car into neutral when driving down hill. You will use fuel to keep the engine turning at idle, this is called sailing. The small gain you get is that you do not need to lose potential energy in turning the engine.

If you keep the car in gear, the potential energy you have will drive the wheels and the engine. Therefore, if the hill is steep enough you will use no fuel. This is known as coasting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Like I said 83% seems to be my number. Just got in and here's the display:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was really surprised that I can frequently get 90%+ on a motorway with cruise control activeThe best I have got is 96% however it soon drops off once you have to accelerate at junctions or up hills

However the fuel economy seems to between 50-60mpg

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got 93% today on a consistent run around 50mph.

MPG around 44 too, which I think is pretty good seeing as the car is only a few days old and is still settling in. Seems to get better every day too.

I stood at my front door and gazed upon it (her) longingly earlier, making sure she was locked before coming up to bed. She winked at me with her beautiful, sparkly bi xenons. Love it!

·
Registered
90 Posts
My score is always around 40-50%, just because I am always in rush hour traffice I think.

By the way, I always have good scores in acceleration but never got more then 30% in smooth driving

·
Registered
34 Posts
usually get 85-95% on commute - a mix of dual carriageway and cross town at each end. I don't think I drive like a grandad (I'm not known for it) but I find its more about how smooth you are rather than how quick. I have seen worse fuel consumption with a high ECO score due to high speed cruising and stopped in traffic which little effect on the ECO score. It's a good tool for improving economy though and dare I say a little addictive?

Edited by: hamkers

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm finding it addictive, Hamkers! Though I am sure I'll go back to my natural driving style (while hopefully taking some smoother driving habits with me) very soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My score at normal road in Poland :) 104km from start engine. Great :D

A200 Gasoline with V-power Nitro+.

And video: [tube]http://youtu.be/QdnvGR4Qi0E[/tube]

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have managed 100% once, also doing near enough 50mpg for the 50 odd miles round trip. All on A roads btw no motorways.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts