Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the a35/45 suffer from any wheel alignment issues? Reason I ask is, I’m v fussy when it comes to this. In the past I sold my Macan turbo cos after multiple attempts on four wheel alignment the steering wheel still sat off centre.. maybe some underlying issues...

Ive seen a nice 2020 a35 prem plus for sale at MB. I’m located in Edinburgh and the car is in London. I can ask them to do wheel alignment for peace of mind as the cars done 4K miles but if it’s still
Not right can I get my deposit back or refuse the car within 30 days - as not fit for purpose? I know this sounds trivial but I want to keep things as stress free as possible..

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Like you I’m quite sensitive if the steering wheel is slightly off centre even if the car is tracking straight. But I’m 22 months into ownership of my A35 and the wheel is dead straight on flattish roads, the car tracks straight, and the tyre wear looks to be pretty even.

As you are looking to buy from a MB dealer, I think it’s reasonable to expect a totally straight car. If it’s not they should be able to sort it out without additional expense to you I would have thought...

Reactions: AMV8

·
Super Moderator
4,829 Posts
My A45 had greater wear on the inside of the tread and I did ask the dealer to check if everything was properly aligned which they said it was. I think it's just the way it is and I will probably find the same with the A45s when I need to get a tyre change. Both drove/drive perfectly true so no driving issues to show any out of alignment.

Reactions: AMV8

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like you I’m quite sensitive if the steering wheel is slightly off centre even if the car is tracking straight. But I’m 22 months into ownership of my A35 and the wheel is dead straight on flattish roads, the car tracks straight, and the tyre wear looks to be pretty even.

As you are looking to buy from a MB dealer, I think it’s reasonable to expect a totally straight car. If it’s not they should be able to sort it out without additional expense to you I would have thought...
bahia brown leather was my first choice. Quite rare though. Any pics of your car?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
bahia brown leather was my first choice. Quite rare though. Any pics of your car?
Yes sure, I posted loads of photos of my car in this thread:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That interior is beautiful. Really does elevate the cabin and looks plush. Shame there aren’t more with the Bahia brown int for sale.. how have u found ownership - does ur car have the AMG ride control?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
@AMV8 I’ve found the overall ownership to be good, although to be fair I’ve not driven the car that much due to lockdown. The car will be 2 years old in May and I’ve only done 12.5k miles so far. My car is fully loaded with just about every option selected, so yes it has the adaptive suspension.

In that same thread with my photos in it, I’ve written up a very comprehensive review of my ownership up until the car was a year old. HTH

·
Registered
44 Posts
@AMV8 Like you I am very fussy when it comes to wheel alignment, even more so with a indent in the steering wheel at the top plus flat bottom so to the eye it's extremely noticeable when not straight!

I did have a few issues with mine if I'm honest - I paid MB £150 for wheel alignment and still wasn't right, seemed to drag to the left ever so slightly. I then started thinking has it been in a crash etc (I bought the car from the original owner around four months ago, so wasn't new).

Anyway I still wasn't happy, I ended up going to a local tyre dealership who said he thought maybe the tyre wall may be shot on one side, replaced my wheels a few weeks back along with new tyres and drives perfect.

PS. Bahia brown interior top notch, I too have Mojave Silver with the brown!

·
Super Moderator
4,341 Posts
At the risk of triggering OCD's further, the W177 also has a visual illusion - the centre line of the steering wheel doesn't line up with the centre of the instrument dials when viewed from a driving position......

So some people doing wheel alignment mistakenly put the centre marker of the steering wheel in the middle of the dials....... and this leads to the steering wheel being wrong in the dead ahead position!

The bit of dash under the right side air vent also slopes away towards the driver door, giving yet another illusion that the steering wheel isn't straight.....

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Reactions: veeeight

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So i dropped my a35 to Mercedes Edinburgh today for a four wheel alignment along with some other warranty items. And as i feared, the car came back with the steering wheel off centre. Rebooked it in for tmrw and asked if the senior tech can be the one to re do it, I’ll be taking him for a drive before hand to show him the issue. Pretty gutted tbh as I was looking forward to enjoying the car and I just had 4 new pilot sport 4s MO1 tyres fitted too. Maybe just an oversight of the tech rushing the job and not properly centring the wheel maybe ?

·
Super Moderator
4,829 Posts
Lack of attention to detail. Good luck tomorrow.

About the four wheel alignment. How comes it was accepted as warranty work.

I have looked at your first post, so you raised it from the start.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wasn’t clear. The alignment I paid for. The warranty work was separate, a few rattles etc. I’m hoping for the best tmrw all going well. Hopefully the senior tech pays better attention to detail

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On a side note I reported issues with knocking from the front end. Possible sticky brake and rattle from rear. The car was road tested and done approx 15 miles. Does this seem excessive? None of the issues were rectified as they couldn’t find anything..

·
Super Moderator
4,829 Posts
I wasn’t clear. The alignment I paid for. The warranty work was separate, a few rattles etc. I’m hoping for the best tmrw all going well. Hopefully the senior tech pays better attention to detail
Are you able to share the cost.

And your post below this. Yes 15 miles seems excessive, but I'd guess they had to get out of the city to test the car out.

·
Super Moderator
4,829 Posts
I've also found that the tyres on the front do wear more on the inside this is after 14000km View attachment 8876
I also found this on my original A45, post above #3 above. I'll report back if I have the same on the A45s when I get my front tyres changed next week.

·
Super Moderator
4,829 Posts
That's not bad for an MB garage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts