Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the A250 Engineered by AMG:

1. Does it come with Run Flat Tyres?

2. Whats the situation with the Spare? Does it have one?

Reason I am asking is I currently own a BMW 5 Series and that has RFT, which I dont really like. It also does not have a spare or a Jack. RFT's are annoying when punctures happen as you are not supposed to get them repaire (I have done in the past though).

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi it doesn't have run flats or a spare. There is a 'tirefit' kit in the boot which is tyre sealant and a compressor. I wasn't terribly happy about that but then I can't stand run flats

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mbznut.

Im glad it hasn't got run flats! A wee compressor will come in quit handy for checking your tyre pressures now and again. I usually do this once a month.

I assume the tyre sealant rights the tyre off if/When you use it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh well, still better than RFT's though!

Wonder how much a new tyre is? A few hundred quid anyway!

·
Registered
626 Posts
My A220 has run flats as part of the AMG pack. I was dreading them as they are so harsh on BMWs but the MB dealer assured me the MB version is much more of a hybrid and has a far superior ride to the tyres BMW use. I have to say I have been very pleased with them so far - excellent handling and ride. Replacement cost looks good - about £150 a corner for mine.

Having said that, I long for the old days with a proper spare in the boot!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I like a spare, there is something reassuring about a spare. Good to hear your run flats are good mon2s. Merc told me it was a weight saving venture to do away with spares. Some models have them though.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Its strange in these days of obsessive recycling that we have become the opposite with tyres - one puncture on a run-flat or a tyre-weld use and you have to replace the tyre. Madness!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mon2s said:
Its strange in these days of obsessive recycling that we have become the opposite with tyres - one puncture on a run-flat or a tyre-weld use and you have to replace the tyre. Madness!
Its all about money I think. MB must save a fortune not putting a spare in their cars. I mean a steel wheel with tyre must be about 100 quid as opposed to 20 quid for a can of tyre weld and a wee compressor.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
My a250 has RFTs, there not too bad. I'm still going to ditch them as soon as I can and go back to normal sport tyres, made the same change on my bimmer and the difference was like night & day.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If your alloys are fitted with run-flats, can you fit standard tyres when the time comes or do you have to fit different wheels?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
You can fit normal tyres to RFT wheels but not the other way round, the wheels have a small rim to stop the tyre coming off once it deflates. Edited by: aguycalleddb

·
Registered
626 Posts
Interesting. Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
I too was dreading the run-flats but I pleasantly surprised and the ride seems just fine to me!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The reason manufacturers are putting in in inflation kits or RFT's is down to the emissions that they can publish, the weight of a spare bumps up the emissions and therefore road tax and company car tax etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts