Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi allPlanning on getting A class manual diesel engine. Currently have Mk5 Golf which does late 50s mpgeasily. Not sure which one should I go for -180 or 200 CDI.
<ul>[*]I understand the 180 is Renault engine while 200 is MB engine. I know the former is bit economical but is the MB engine worthsacrificing</span>some mpg and save some tax.</span>[*]Is anything wrong with the Renault engine.</span>[*]Are all engines chain cam?</span>[/list]Many thanks
S

·
Registered
192 Posts
I chose the 180 which I think drives the same as the vw which I ve had, gives you more mpg too!
The main part of the engine is an award winning Renault base and every other part is mb anyway!
Sorry don't know about the third q!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The OM 607 engine run VERY VERY smooth only sound like diesel on start up a real real nice enigine i would say

This is facts about the "Renualt" egnine:

"While Mercedes-Benz engineers insist they redesigned or swapped more than 50 parts in the 1.5-litre, inline engine, the core of the powerplant is the same engine that powers the French company's humble Dacia ""“ itself a sub-brand pitched beneath Renault.</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">""With 98 grams of CO2 per kilometre and 3.8 litres/100km, it is among the most environmentally friendly diesels in the compact car segment,""� Mercedes-Benz diesel engine developer Dr Peter Lückert said of the engine, dubbed the OM607 in factory code, at this week's technology forum in Stuttgart.</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">""The OM607 engine has been done in conjunction with Renault. It's a Renault engine adapted massively to Mercedes-Benz requirements,""� he admitted.</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">While the Renault version of the engine is now in its sixth generation and mostly sells in single-camshaft, eight-valve form, Mercedes-Benz has fitted it with an all-new 16-valve cylinder-head and a variable-vane turbocharger to produce 80kW of power.</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">It will also have 250Nm of torque when it mates to its six-speed manual gearbox, but Mercedes has wound that back to 260Nm when fitted with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">""Like all Mercedes engines, the OM607 was required to complete the extensive engine test program involving bench-testing and endurance runs. The application effort devoted to the OM607 by Mercedes-Benz was very considerable,""� Dr Lückert said.</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">""In a joint project team of Mercedes and Renault personnel, the engine was especially improved in NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) and drivability.</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">""Numerous components are specific to Mercedes-Benz, for example the OM607 has the engine mountings of the M270 petrol engine, as well as a special dual-mass flywheel,""� he defended.</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">""The starter is also flanged onto the transmission and the alternator and the air-conditioning compressor also come from the Mercedes modular system.""�</span></font><br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">

Edited by: The Swedish Guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.