·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
@Irish boy was sleeping with the fish for a while :sneaky:

·
Registered
13 Posts
A very good choice of cars. I have moved away from RWD cars as were my first few MBs but I can certainly remember a neighbour of mine having a 190E in black which looked really great.
I don‘t buy FWD cars, only carriages are getting dragges😂
AWD is nice thing but sometimes just to heavy or got a bad transmission.
Thats why i‘ll never buy a VAG car😁

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
With the great British weather and so many roundabouts I think in my days with RWD cars I was lucky for it not to have been worse. My first car a Triumph Herald was a widow maker except luckily I wasn't married then. The MB C and E classes I owned their ESP couldn't overcome the laws of physics. It's AWD or FWD for me now :)

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Can I ask a question to @MarcPratz .

The A45s engine is built as one person one engine and the other engines for some of the high performance AMGs such as the A35 or the 53 models they are not. Even though they come off a production line do you have any views on how good they are compared to the ones which are hand built.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can I ask a question to @MarcPratz .

The A45s engine is built as one person one engine and the other engines for some of the high performance AMGs such as the A35 or the 53 models they are not. Even though they come off a production line do you have any views on how good they are compared to the ones which are hand built.
Every single engine walks through a specific quality check, handmade or not. So on Quality side you can set a handmade enging equal to a production line on. The only thing is that some steps in a production line are automatised. That means a machine COULD miss for example a material problem a human won‘t.
But as i said: I don‘t think you would see a difference in quality bc of the checks and high standards.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Every single engine walks through a specific quality check, handmade or not. So on Quality side you can set a handmade enging equal to a production line on. The only thing is that some steps in a production line are automatised. That means a machine COULD miss for example a material problem a human won‘t.
But as i said: I don‘t think you would see a difference in quality bc of the checks and high standards.
Thank you. A very honest answer 👍

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have seen videos of how different the M139 production is compared to other V8 AMG engines. It would be interesting to hear from a builder point of view how the new production processes of the M139 is different, and what are the most challenging/difficult aspects of the engine build.

I also read about the new M139 fitted with the 48v electronic turbos. Have you started assembling these as well?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have seen videos of how different the M139 production is compared to other V8 AMG engines. It would be interesting to hear from a builder point of view how the new production processes of the M139 is different, and what are the most challenging/difficult aspects of the engine build.

I also read about the new M139 fitted with the 48v electronic turbos. Have you started assembling these as well?
The V8 production is an „old“ one. The difference between thos 2 lines are:
You got your tools on you production Cart and no longer hanging above your head.
So there are no more air pressure tools in the line, which results a quiet working.
You have your Parts for the engine in your basket(which is following you automatically in line). At the V8 you have to search it in shelfs.There are some
more differences but these are the main ones. Its a healthier working and i really enjoy it✌🏻

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

·
Registered
155 Posts
@MarcPratz first of all let me say it's a privilege to have you here with us and I agree with @Forrester that your presence has brought a new dimension to this forum. I know you obviously can't share everything so I hope we're not putting you in an awkward position with our questions.

I'd like to ask you a technical question that's not entirely about the engine itself, but here goes:

Is it ok if we use launch control often, or will it damage the dual mass (?) flywheel fairly soon? What about the engine and transmission mounts, are they strong enough to cope? Anything else to be aware of in terms of reliability and longevity when using launch control? I know there are cars that are designed to cope with such use, such as the 997 Turbo, whereas some haldex based AWD cars such as the S3 are likely to wear out prematurely and require expensive repairs on a number of components like the flywheel, or even the haldex itself. Does the A45S have the hardware to be as reliable with frequent launches? It's just so addictive...

·
Registered
13 Posts
@MarcPratz Do you have any information on @vodka last point
No i didn‘t build one yet. They‘re still developing it.

@MarcPratz first of all let me say it's a privilege to have you here with us and I agree with @Forrester that your presence has brought a new dimension to this forum. I know you obviously can't share everything so I hope we're not putting you in an awkward position with our questions.

I'd like to ask you a technical question that's not entirely about the engine itself, but here goes:

Is it ok if we use launch control often, or will it damage the dual mass (?) flywheel fairly soon? What about the engine and transmission mounts, are they strong enough to cope? Anything else to be aware of in terms of reliability and longevity when using launch control? I know there are cars that are designed to cope with such use, such as the 997 Turbo, whereas some haldex based AWD cars such as the S3 are likely to wear out prematurely and require expensive repairs on a number of components like the flywheel, or even the haldex itself. Does the A45S have the hardware to be as reliable with frequent launches? It's just so addictive...
It depends on the car how often you can use LC without damaging the car.
I can’t tell you how often you can use it. The car is counting how often u use LC for the case something gets damaged and you want the damage repaired on warranty. But you can say a LC is a massacre for the transmission. Don‘t use it regulary and keep in mind that it is a high strain for the car.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
@MarcPratz good Instagram post by the way. A drive in music concert. Not seen them advertised in the UK yet with only around 6 weeks of summer left they better be quick if they are going to :sneaky: .

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Fascinating process. Especially for the A45s engine.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts