Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had my car in to the dealers for the third time with a list of faults that they seem unable to resolve. This time though I have done this with the backing of the CEO's office to report the faults to Mercedes Technical, which although I am sceptical about them finding solutions, has shown why so many of our software faults go unresolved.

The first thing that has become apparent is that if your dealer is unable to find known solution to your software fault they only have a limited number of ways to resolve it. The first that they will try is to reset or in some cases recalibrate the module concerned. If this doesn't resolve the problem they might if they have the time, or its not the first time you have reported the fault or you are ultra instant, update some or all of the software. The problem for them doing this is that Mercedes only allow (pay!) them say half an hours time to do this when it can take 6 hours or more and the update might fail or cause other problems, no wonder they are reluctant.

If this still hasn't fix the fault they need to raise a TIP report which involves writing a full fault report, as we as customer are not always able to articulate the problem clearly and the dealer may not be able to reproduce the problem they will have difficulty reporting it clearly. Then before submitting the TIP they have to update all the relevant software which as we have seen is time consuming.

I presented the car with 7 faults, they have comeback saying one is due to a design fault so they will not raise a TIP, for one intermittent fault they have (again) reset the module and its working (again!) and for the battery draining during lockdown that I reported they can see that the Interior CAN bus is waking up regularly so they have reset it and put in a new battery so I suspect this has not been fixed. The other four faults have been reported with a TIP, I'm still waiting for Mercedes Technical to respond on all of these but the one response I have had is just trying to justify the unjustifiable so I am having to pass this back to them to reconsider.

However, as I am now into week three, we are still waiting for Mercedes to respond on 3 of the 4 TIP's that have been raise and I fully expect that their initial response will be unsatisfactory, I can quite see why dealers are not very keen to enter into time consuming investigations when they are unlikely to be paid by Mercedes to carry them out. I am convinced that having contacted the CEO's office Mercedes they have agreed to pay the dealer on this occasion because I am threatening to reject the car, but we can't all do this every time we want something properly fixed and it might explain why MBUX faults are taking forever to get resolved.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Interesting write up @Macgd016, thanks for taking the time to do this.

·
Registered
MB A250 4M W177
245 Posts
For MB service dealers treat clients who bought cars for many cash there is some example in Poland how guy bought S63 for more than 200k GBP and they cannot fix it
use translator:

But I wish that all with Yours will be fixed

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For MB service dealers treat clients who bought cars for many cash there is some example in Poland how guy bought S63 for more than 200k GBP and they cannot fix it

But I wish that all with Yours will be fixed
😂 Thanks Vampire1985PL 😂

Fortunately I have very little expectation that they will fix any of the faults so I won't be too disappointed 🙄

·
Registered
82 Posts
Its for such reasons that you have painstakingly detailed in this post, that this will be my first and last Mercedes car that I own. I will probably be going back to the VAG group, where I had owned Golfs for 16 years without any major issues whatsover. I have been really unimpressed with Mercedes and their quality of their newer models of cars.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh dear it's not looking good for me, I have just had sight of the response from Mercedes Technical to the 5 faults (that I meticulasly documented in 4 pages of notes with videos for them) they were investigating for me which says:

1. We wont be doing anything about that, suggest speaking to customer service
2. Should be fixed in next software release
3. We're not aware of any other cases, if you have changed all the parts & you say it's the same in other cars we can safely say there is no fault
4. Not heard of this, is it always the same, have you seen it happen, do you have a video
5. The factory says as far as they know it's working ok, we could switch it off but it's part of Ncap 5* so perhaps not

So glad I spent so many hours documenting the faults and letting then know just how widespread some of these are here, it's no wonder that they were unaware of the faults if mercedes technical cant be bothered to engage, read what they have been sent and accept that the customer is actually reporting failing features rather than trying to waste their time

Not at all happy but I'm not sure what avenues are left open to me now

·
Registered
MB A250 4M W177
245 Posts
I guess they heard of some , but they do not count as its for example less 100 or less 1000..and they can say for almost everything, if its not profitable to fix or not dangerous to drive with that to meet law requirements in country or EU, that it is not know for them.
Well any company now is cutting costs and it will be like kicking with horse which will not succeded

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its for such reasons that you have painstakingly detailed in this post, that this will be my first and last Mercedes car that I own. I will probably be going back to the VAG group, where I had owned Golfs for 16 years without any major issues whatsover. I have been really unimpressed with Mercedes and their quality of their newer models of cars.

I think all car companies are much the same. I moved away from VAG for similar reasons after 10 trouble free years of owning a Tiguan and a mk7 Golf. In June 2018 I changed my Golf for a new VW T-Roc and you could tell that the interior quality was not the same as my previous 2 cars (similar to the new mk8 Golf with various cost cutting measures in the trim). Cutting a very long story short, 18 months, 2 replacement cars and 45 to 50 workshop visits later VW bought back the 2nd replacement Troc, from where I bought my A200 AMG line premium. The interior quality is much better than the T-Roc (I had the R-Line which was the top spec), and also better than the new Golf 8.

·
Registered
MB A250 4M W177
245 Posts
Troc interior is similar to polo quality ( which is weak, many plastic inside, small amount of soft touch materials ) so im not surprised thath A Class is much better inside than Troc but A200 cost 1.5/2 as much as troc and comparing to vw golf its 30-40% more expensive than vw competitors

·
Registered
53 Posts
Troc interior is similar to polo quality ( which is weak, many plastic inside, small amount of soft touch materials ) so im not surprised thath A Class is much better inside than Troc but A200 cost 1.5/2 as much as troc and comparing to vw golf its 30-40% more expensive than vw competitors
I Don't agree with your price comparisons. The T-Roc R-line and A200 AMG line premium to the specification I had were of a similar price. The Golf R-Line about £1K to 2K cheaper than the A 200.

But I do agree with the issue with Quality. That was my point. Someone said that the newer MB cars were of reduced quality. That may be, this is my first MB but is has a better quality interior than the new VW's at a similar price.

·
Registered
MB A250 4M W177
245 Posts
Troc is small SUV ( more expensive than normal nonSUV Car) You should compare it to GLA not A Class, or compare it to VW Golf ,Troc is another class car ( smaller interior )
Those % are according to prices in my country. In UK they are different. For example my car was 10% more expensive than VW Golf 7 R maxed out and my car wasnt even maxed out on equipement, missing some additional options which could make him 20% more expensive. Dont mention A35 which is competitor to VW G R. It starts its price when R ends

·
Registered
53 Posts
No, I'm not mentioning the A35. My comparisons on price and quality are based on personal experience and ownership, plus an up to date price on both the VW and MB configurators.

My point was based on someone saying that the quality of the newer MB cars being less than it was. Maybe so, but its the same with VW. The Golf 7 and 7.5 interior was better than the 8. In my case I moved from a Golf 7 to a T-Roc R-line, but the Golf 7 had a better interior than the T-Roc. The VW dealership bought back my T-Roc and I was able to buy an A200 AMG Line premium for the same money, but it had a better quality interior. I looked at a Golf 8 at just under £30K, but the A200 has a much better quality interior.

·
Registered
MB A250 4M W177
245 Posts
All car companies are making worse and worse cars as build quality. Personally i dont care about plastic or soft touch material, if it doesnt make a sound on not good roads. For me paying money for car I should not and do not want to hear anything beside engine, tires, wind/road noise, but I payed for a premium car and on bumpy road that shakes or vibrates car and then i hear squicks, rattles from dashboard or some pillars, because car manufacturer didnt cover something inside with tapes or rubber to not made a sound.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree, but once again it was to illustrate my feelings about someone saying they would move back to VW from MB because of quality, whereas I came from VW to MB.

As an example of the cost cutting:
The Golf 7 had a hydraulic strut for the bonnet, the golf 8 has gone back to the clip in bar
The Golf 7 was painted the same colour as the body under the bonnet, the golf 8 is not
The Golf 7 had a cover for keyhole on the door, the golf 8 does not
The Golf 7 had a cover for the front cup holders/storage compartment, the golf 8 does not
The Golf 7 had a soft lining in the storage compartments, the golf 8 does not

and I could go on and list 20 more things where money has been saved and quality reduced.

·
Super Moderator
2,142 Posts
In this climate (no pun intended) - many of the "cost-down" initiatives on new cars, are also sync'd with "weight down" initiatives - every gram matters, and counts towards the WLTP emissions, not only for that particular model, but also to the combined group number.

So, thinner, flimsier, lighter, change of parts as well as omissions of previous "luxuries" are going to be the norm from now, for every marque.

Even the latest Bentley has reduced carpet depth.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree, but once again it was to illustrate my feelings about someone saying they would move back to VW from MB because of quality, whereas I came from VW to MB.

As an example of the cost cutting:
The Golf 7 had a hydraulic strut for the bonnet, the golf 8 has gone back to the clip in bar
The Golf 7 was painted the same colour as the body under the bonnet, the golf 8 is not
The Golf 7 had a cover for keyhole on the door, the golf 8 does not
The Golf 7 had a cover for the front cup holders/storage compartment, the golf 8 does not
The Golf 7 had a soft lining in the storage compartments, the golf 8 does not

and I could go on and list 20 more things where money has been saved and quality reduced.
|I was all set to buy a golf 8... until I sat in one. it feels cheap compared to the Mk 7 that I had. also the infotainment had serious lag, not good for a car that put everything into it's touchscreens.
I'm the same as you the A200 feels so much more premium than the Golf. also far more interesting interior imo.
Golf 8 (and most VW cars tbh) feel just a bit bland and sterile inside.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts