Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have already fully embraced the EV era, so you could care less about ICE, but I'm sure there's a lot of us in here that aren't ready for it just yet. And while one day this will be all we know, for our children and grand children even more so, ICE support (spare parts included) should still be alive and kicking for years to come, so we should still be able to pollute the environment, albeit probably with road tax shot through the roof.

So ICE will soon phase out and although we aren't there just yet and chances are the dates will be pushed back as they usually do (because profit), but in case they don't and the planet does become top priority for once, how do you see yourself in 10 years with respect to your future cars? Are you going to keep your most favorite ICE car just so you can still enjoy blasts from the past every now and then? Are you going to keep two? Are you going to keep them all? Or are you going to treasure them all in your heart and move on? After all, as strong as this bond may be, the future is right there, and there's still so much that awaits you, new experiences to live and new memories to make. EV memories.

I'll go first.

The Nissan GTR has always been one of our most iconic cars and we've always wanted to have one. Nissan is currently working on what will probably be the last ICE GTR that we see. After that, it may either phase out entirely or transcend to the EV era like the Porsche Taycan Turbo (no actual turbo involved, it's just a marketing thing), but even if it does transcend, it won't be the same.

Well my wife and I aren't ready for the new era, and we wanna have one last performance car in our garage, but it has to be special, it has to be powerful and reliable. We're thinking the last 2022 Nissan GTR could be the one and perhaps with lots of pampering and attention, it could be with us for decades (at least as long as we have support and fuel available), and be something we can show our children and grand children and say this is how great cars used to be. But at the same time we're ready to give EV a chance, so next to the GTR we'll definitely have a couple EVs.

How about you? ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
While I agree with your sentiments I would watch this before you choose the GTR

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
My A250 is just over 3 years old and I plan to keep it till it’s about 6 🤞🤞 when I’ll start getting my OAP 😳😳🙄🙄 then will seriously look at getting an EV but a more sporty one. Think the prices, technology and more essentially, the infrastructure will be better

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm 54 years old and probably like most of the folks on this forum, I have been passionate about my cars since the age of 17. I started out in Ford Capris (four of them, 1.6L a couple of tuned 2.0S' and then a 2.8 injection). Tricky cars to drive in some respects but as such, they provided a more than adequate 'apprenticeship' from a pure driving perspective. At this point, my plan is to buy a performance 'polluter' which I will keep until I can't drive anymore. Woke? I think that somebody needs to dig me in the ribs. The plan is to insure it as a limited mileage vehicle and use it just for fun. Don't shoot me but I'm thinking along the lines of a Dodge Challenger SRT/Charger Hellcat or the like. At the moment, I receive quite a generous car allowance with my job which almost funds the A45S but assuming that I need to start visiting customers F2F again soon, I may use the allowance for an EV before I retire. I'm nowhere near that yet however. As far as ICE is concerned, I'll always dig the SOUND man...as Jimi once declared. :p

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
Don't shoot me but I'm thinking along the lines of a Dodge Challenger SRT/Charger Hellcat or the like.
I know where you're coming from..... there's something very alluring about the way a Charger looks and sounds!

Although handling ranks quite high up on my priorities, I'm looking at a late Mustang, but it must have the Custom Pack 2, and Magnaride.

I test drove a Mustang recently, and the secondary ride on a non-Magnaride model around 40mph wasn't great, something I think the Magnaride would solve.

And of course, I'd have to seriously consider how good the Mustang interior was 'screwed together' - as the W205 interior isn't, as much as I would love to go down the C63s route!

So no, I'm not ready to embrace a full EV just yet.

·
Registered
2021 AMG A45 S Plus, Sun Yellow, DTUK 470 PS, Akrapovic Evolution in Ti
209 Posts
I'm currently lusting after a new R232 SL63 as a long term keeper. This time the SL is an AMG only 4matic+ model so engineered by the geniuses at Affalterbach. First car on the brand new AMG GT platform. Much more dynamic than the last one but still with S Class level comfort and cruising ability.

I do like a convertible and the soft top allows less weight and more dynamism than the last one. It won't be roof off all year in the UK but when its down there is that hand built V8 to listen to. And when it's up, the S Class spec roof should be totally refined.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Slightly controversial point of view ……

…..ICE will still be here in 10 years time and beyond and thriving

synthetic fuels are the way forward

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EV is the future, there's no doubt about that, it will happen, sooner or later. Like I said I too believe the dates will be pushed back as they usually do, but that's not the problem. Problem (and the reason I made the thread) is that many car makers have already started discontinuing part of their fleet, or transcending them to EV which is all the same in my book. No more ICE RS6 for instance, next one will be EV. So if one wanted to have the last of the Mohicans RS6, they would have to hurry! Same with the Nissan GTR, except that one will have one more (albeit hybrid) go before it goes fully electric. With that in mind, we'd really like to have the last non electric GTR in our garage, and keep it for many, many years. But if we do nothing, thinking that we got time, like ICE won't be officially over until after 20 years, then goodbye GTR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts