Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had my A250 Engineered for 2 weeks now, covered around 600 miles, and the rattles are driving me absolutely insane!

You expect the odd wee buzzing noise or rattle here and there, but this is just making me want to drive into a wall
- never had anything as bad as this ever in any of my previous cars

There is one little clicking sound which is coming from the area near the front ashtray, which is so bad that it even happens when the engine is idling. This is the one annoying me the most, as it seems a little out of the ordinary whereas the rest are the type of rattles one would expect

Probably book it into the local dealer to have it sorted when I get a chance.

How are others finding their new A's for rattles?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Mine has loads, they come and go. I'm just turning the music up until its ready for a service and I'll get them sorted.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I didn't have any rattles, but after I cleaned it last week I had the famous seat belt rattle. I realised it was because I had moved the passenger's seat, when it was returned to it's correct position the noise stopped! I have had my Engineered for three months, it is fantastic! And silent again!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a rattle from the b-pillar (I think the seatbelt adjuster) and intermittently from around the binnacle/steering column trim. Been into MB but didn't do it on the day they had it of course. They said they have no TSBs for rattles yet on the W176 and didn't fancy making anything worse by taking it apart at random. Will wait until either they get worse or when the service is due at the end of the year when hopefully they will have either fixed the same rattes on other cars or have some TSBs by then...

In the meantime I crank up the iPod so I can't hear them...

Cheers

Rog Edited by: rriggs

·
Registered
305 Posts
Seatbelt is a known problem, much people on a German forum complains about it, and they replace the seat belt.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine has four rattle sources:

1. The seat belt adjusters
2. Driver's door storage compartment
3. The hard plastic parts below the steering wheel in the driver's footwell
4. The rear side window on the right

They usually come and go when cruising at city speeds on rough tarmac. Nothing compared to my previous Peugeot ;)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I had a seat belt rattle one day, but after moving the passenger seat it disappeared! No other noises! After reading about all the creaks and squeaks I was a bit concerned, so when this little 'tinny' sound appeared I had great difficulty finding the source. It took some time but it was the just the buckle on my handbag on the passenger's seat!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine has a lot of intermittent rattles too. On one drive the centre console/ ashtray area was most annoying, I opened and closed the lids a couple of times and haven't really had problems there since. Other rattles occur in the b pillar and also the dash and casing around the steering wheel. Once again they don't always happen. I can't seem to really pin them down. I think it's something I will live with, I'm not sure if they took everything apart they would piece it back together any better??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a pretty bad rattle coming somewhere behind the cabin...like loosening plastic part sound

Really annoying when I go over rough tarmac...gonna go to the dealer and have them fix it for me

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had the seatbelt rattle & clutch (once only), I took it in to the Dealer today and they were aware of these niggles. They have added some extra padding (some tape apparently) in the seatbelt adjuster and on the clutch lubricated the return spring. Seems ok now.

Got it cleaned even though it was not really dirty and a go in an E220 with AMG extras - reminded me why I don't like autos !Nice car though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My A200 is in garage with 3 rattles and a clonking auto gearbox - rattles are driving the technicians mad - they are claiming mercedes has started to use plastic extensively to save weight to get the emission under the targets - they are using more brittle plastics that are lighter - So i think we will be in for a lifetime of rattles - this car will only last the three years of the warranty then will be replaces - its the worst mercedes i have has - C200 sports coupe, c220 sport saloon, C220 CLC - its not the mercedes i thought i was buying - the lone car a B220 is worse the auto box just cant cope with the engine.

Oh well have two years to decide what next, unless mercedes replaces it with something that works

·
Registered
126 Posts
I normally keep a car for 6 or 7 years, then trade in. For the first time, I've used a 4 year payment scheme where I get the option to hand it back at the end of 4 years or pay the outstanding.
I'll certainly be handing the Merc back, just wish I'd had a 3 years scheme instead. Such a shame they've spoilt a great car by cutting corners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My A220 is going in for rattles on the 30th. Rattles on both ends of the dash, if I push my finger between the dash and the door cards it stops on either side, both door cards rattle, ive got some rattle from the back which happens when i go slow and when it starts from eco and the seat belt things as well. grr.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lynne- what is the 'correct' position. My rattles come from the seat belt holder as a result of the metal part knocking on the seat belt plastic pillar on bad surfaces, intermittently

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about the door cards rattling when you have a song on with a bit more bass on? I have come out of a c220 cdi and those door cards didn't rattle when you have a song with some more bass to it ?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Sorry Ajdar only just found your query. I adjusted the seat by moving it forward and the noise stopped. I must be very lucky as I now have NO problem with rattles or squeaks. When I hear the complaints from other owners I feel sad for them. My old Corsa didn't rattle so to have all these problems with a Mercedes seems ironic to say the least.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just dropped mine off the dealership they will have it for 3 weeks while I am abroad. I have told them I want to get back and not hear a rattle. I will let you know what they do. I have had it in 3 times now for the rattles described earlier in this thread. We are at the point now where parts are going to be replaced I hope. Two of the rattles were fixed completely with new parts (indicator stalk and driver side footwell left panel).

I am hoping that the b-pillars and the rattle in the driver side dash will be fixed them I get back (padding is not working for me).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts