Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
201 - 220 of 227 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Are you guys taking out the MB warranty as its easier to do, rather than say the MotorEasy top tier option as a for instance.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Normally I don't take out extended warranties on anything, figuring that overall I'll be up even if I have to fork out occasionally. However, the cylinder head issue has worried me somewhat - our car's only done 13K in three years, so I've now broken my rule and taken out the extended warranty! As Craig says, £523 for two years isn't too bad (the one on my other car is £3K for one year!) so it's worth it for peace of mind.
So thanks for the info on this thread - it's been very helpful.

Incidentally, it is transferrable if you sell to a private buyer. If you sell to trade, you can get a pro-rata refund provided you haven't made a claim in that policy year. Both are subject to a £25 admin fee, which is fair enough.
Good to know on the transferability front. Thanks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Are you guys taking out the MB warranty as its easier to do, rather than say the MotorEasy top tier option as a for instance.
MotorEasy - certainly the top tier - is pricey compared to MB. Not sure how the cover compares but I will certainly look in more detail before purchase.

Reactions: Forrester

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update, here are some photos of the burn out exhaust valve after re-surfacing/ seating, this valve was replaced with new from Mercedes’ that believe it or not only cost £29.50. Hoping to get the head back on Thursday to start assembling at the weekend. Also I had news from my injector man that the 3rd injector was dripping and not spraying correctly which we thought initially and has definitely contributed to the burnt out valve. Once all is completed and running correctly I will make another post with lots of information regarding parts I purchased and costs. Just to show a rough price for people like myself that want to repair it personally due to either ran out of warranty or even voided due to modifications.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only info I have is that Exhaust Valve (x8) A2640530200 was fitted on the production line up to Nov 2021, thereafter Exhaust Valve (x8) A2640531200.
God knows, after checking my documentation and valve they issued me it seems I have the before Nov 21 which is correct considering my a35 is 19 plate. Maybe they have had a new batch of exhaust valves produced or even changed supplier, hence the difference in part numbers? I don’t know 🤷‍♂️ either way they will both do the same job ay. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update, first start up yesterday and everything seems great, carried out another compression test and all cylinders are reading 235psi which is good news. Let her warm up to optimum temperature and took her out for a spin, again everything seems fine. Put it this way before I decided to take on this repair myself the engine was all over the place it literally looked like it wanted to jump out of the car due to the miss fire, and now you can’t even tell the engine is running when stationary. When collecting my injector seals from merc I spoke to a MB engineer and he was saying that the a35 that have been through there workshop with the same faults have all more a less had sticking exhaust valves ? Therefore my a35 will be having a engine oil and filter change every 5k miles and it won’t be having that watery 0W-20 Mercedes’ engine oil. I’ll post my costs later on once worked out just to show how possible this could be for some people with the same issues.

thanks

·
Premium Member
A35 Premium Plus
178 Posts
@Leww11, that’s great news. So glad it now all seems to be fixed and back to running how it should be. These are great cars, but this issue causes apprehension for most A35 owners. It was bad enough with the cylinder head issues that plagued my Focus RS ownership, only to find my new car has engine issues too. Takes the shine off for me.

• Sad
Reactions: AThirtyFive

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Update, first start up yesterday and everything seems great, carried out another compression test and all cylinders are reading 235psi which is good news. Let her warm up to optimum temperature and took her out for a spin, again everything seems fine. Put it this way before I decided to take on this repair myself the engine was all over the place it literally looked like it wanted to jump out of the car due to the miss fire, and now you can’t even tell the engine is running when stationary. When collecting my injector seals from merc I spoke to a MB engineer and he was saying that the a35 that have been through there workshop with the same faults have all more a less had sticking exhaust valves ? Therefore my a35 will be having a engine oil and filter change every 5k miles and it won’t be having that watery 0W-20 Mercedes’ engine oil. I’ll post my costs later on once worked out just to show how possible this could be for some people with the same issues.

thanks
Once you work out the costs send it to MB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update
Car repair costs
Petrol compression test kit £20.00
Camshaft locking tool £25.00
Genuine Head gasket £45.00
Genuine Head bolts £81.00
Genuine injector seals £126.00
Injectors refurb x4 £52.00
Spark plugs x4 £60.00
5W-30 castrol engine oil £20.00
Coolant £42.00
Cylinder head skimming £42.50
New Exhaust valve x1 £29.50
Exhaust valves refacing £67.50
Exhaust valve seats reface £72.00
New valve guides £56.00
New steam seals £25.00
Turbo oil and coolant feed pipe seals £10.00
Total £773.50

considering I was told by multiple garages that I needed a new engine which on average is around 4k for a decent second hand one. I would say this is a good total price for my repair. Obviously I didn’t have to pay labour ect because I took the task on myself. But this just gives you a rough idea.
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi mate, appreciate your efforts with the cylinder head! Any photos of the offending valve?
the damaged exhaust valve was put onto a cutting machine to see if it would reface, so I can only take a pic of what the valve looks like now, unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of when I first removed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I know this is an A35 forum but my GLB 35 also needs new cylinder heads. Check engine light, lots of vibrations at idle and a cylinder 2 misfire when scanner was plugged in. After being towed to the dealer and a couple tests later (and 3 weeks later); they have ordered a new cylinder head from germany. I'm in Australia so wait time is up to 8 weeks... FML

201 - 220 of 227 Posts